Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:03 PM

9 posts, read 35,603 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my family is planning to move to Florida within the next year. We have spent a lot of time researching different areas focusing on communities close to Tampa (Palm Harbor, Dunedin) and Gulf Breeze which is our favorite place so far. Soon we will be taking a trip down to visit but I thought I would post here first to hear form those that know Gulf Breeze well compared to areas further south.

We have 2 children ages 1 and 2 and a good school is one of the most important factors in choosing a location. I work from home so we have the luxury of moving anywhere and the reason for the move is to get away from the Iowa winters knowing that we will need to get used to the Florida summers.

The next important factor is the community. I searched and read all posts that reference Gulf Breeze on this site and a common theme is great schools, close community and low crime.

So here are a few questions, I appreciate any answers you have time to provide:

1.) Our price range will be $400,000 - $600,000. Does Gulf Breeze have many gated communities in this price range with organized activities, pool, clubhouse, etc.? If a few come to mind, please send me the info (living on a golf course or on the water is not important to us).

2.) How many pre-schools are in Gulf Breeze and is there a waiting list to get in (we live in Iowa and many preschools fill up). Our 2 year old turns 3 in June and we would like to start him in 3 year old pre-school in September.

3.) I have read several posts (some a few years old) that mention nice houses next to houses that are not kept up. Some of the older replies mentioned Ivan ... how about now will we see this in our price range?

4.) The only reason we are still considering the Tampa area is the fact that the weather seems better in the winter and I read that the humidity is a bit higher in Gulf Breeze. We live in Iowa and the winters are pretty tough (feels like we hibernate for 4-5 months a year). I looked at the data on average highs/lows and it looks like it does fall below freezing a few times a year. On average in the winter, how often during the day do you need to put on a heavy coat, hat and mittens to go outside? Does snow ever accumulate and stay around for more than a day?

5.) Our plan is to sell our house, find a house to rent in Gulf Breeze and then when we arrive start our search for a house immediately (we might build). We probably will not rent for more than 6 months unless we end up building. Has anyone worked with a realtor that helped find a rental knowing that they would also represent buyer on home purchase?

Thanks for reading and for those living in or familiar with Gulf Breeze we really do value your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 06:50 AM

337 posts, read 448,496 times
What part of Iowa are you coming from? I grew up in the Quad City area.

Gulf Breeze is nice and you would find something nice with the price range you have described. I am partial to Navarre (just East of Gulf Breeze) I built 3 houses there , All three full brick 1991 67,000$ 1400 sq ft. 1996 91,000$ 1575 sq ft. 2013 205,000$ 2168 sq ft.

I can't stress enough about the traffic conditions on Highway 98. It can be a bear at times. You will wear out a set of brakes going from 65 mph to 0 in your travels.

No snow accumulation.

The area is real enjoyable. Just about everybody loves it.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 AM

Ah a fellow northern/Midwesterner! We live on the west side of Des Moines and we do love the area here, but after 10 years in Iowa I am ready to say goodbye to the winters. My parents spend 8 months of the year in Gulf Shores, AL leaving 5 kids and 11 grandkids in the Midwest (rest of my family is in St. Louis). One of the motivators to move south is to avoid this situation and grow roots in a place where we do not need to head south every year and leave our kids/grandkids.

Our daily travel will be minimal since I work from home, my wife works a few hours a week as an Esthetician and after we are settled (and finished having children) she might look for something similar.

Do you have to hit HWY 98 to go to your kid’s activities, grocery store, church, etc. or do you hit it when you want to go to the beach/Pensacola/day trips?

I hope to make a trip down in the next 2-3 months and I will be sure to drive the rental car all over GB including HWY 98.

Once again, thank you for the feedback. If I ever run into a [SIZE=3]Physician with 4 young kids spaced 2 years apart I will be sure to by him a beverage![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 04-25-2014, 10:05 AM

317 posts, read 825,945 times
I could be wrong but I am getting the impression that you think Gulf Breeze is larger than it really is. There is literally one road (hwy 98) with side streets. Geographically, it is tiny...like you could walk across the peninsula in 5 minutes or so.

Look at a map. There are two Gulf Breezes. The western most area is Gulf Breeze proper, which is a nice small congested town with all the amenities. The second to the east is a maze of subdivisions and strip malls divided by highway 98.

Last edited by ncnittany; 04-25-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 10:42 AM

OK I see what you mean now, I just zoomed in and found exactly where Gulf Breeze Proper is Vs. the other side of GB. I have read several posts about GB Proper and everyone speaks highly of it.

Not sure if we will find a rental in that area but we will be close enough to spend a lot of time in the area searching for our dream house!

Thanks again for the info!

Old 04-25-2014, 11:18 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,767 times
Quote:
Our price range will be $400,000 - $600,000. Does Gulf Breeze have many gated communities in this price range with organized activities, pool, clubhouse, etc.?
You will not find this in Gulf Breeze Proper or "down the highway" as the rest of the area is referred to. The only gated communities in Proper are well beyond that price range and none have organized activities, pool, etc. What you are referring to is a master planned community and there are none. The closest would probably be Grand Pointe down the highway. It has a couple of playgrounds and the homes are newer.

In Proper, I would look at Plantation Hill or Northcliffe, both of which are across the highway from GB Elementary, Middle, and High Schools. There is a walkway going over the highway for the kids to walk or ride their bikes to school.

The majority of GB Proper is on the school side of Hwy 98. There you will find homes in all kinds of price ranges, and yes, many times there will be not so nice ones next to nice ones. But, nobody really cares about that cause they love living in GB, mainly due to schools, activities for kids, and low crime. Renting shouldn't be a problem. You can find rentals on the MLS or by just driving around and looking for signs.

Winters can be cold (like this one has been) or not. You will, however, rarely, if ever, need a heavy coat, mittens, and hats. We never wore those when we were kids, even on the coldest days!

Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 AM

Thanks AustinTraveler. I am looking forward to the day where we can donate our heavy coats, hats and gloves!!

I continue to hear from GB residents (several have private messaged me) and the common theme is everyone LOVES living in GB. I have yet to have a negative comment or something to put in our 'cons' list.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:43 AM

OH and JJAF: FYI I confused your post with someone else I was replying to offline so you can disregard my comment physician comment. Rookie mistake on this site!

Old 04-25-2014, 01:42 PM

337 posts, read 448,496 times
No problem ia2fl......lol..... I do that a dozen times a day my friend!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:20 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
For that kind of master-planned community, the Hidden Creek Golf Course area of Holley by the Sea might work for you, but I don't think it's gated. If you don't mind looking further east, I'd consider Swift Creek in Niceville (gated, community amenities, great schools) or a few places in Destin like Regatta Bay or Kelley Plantation, though I think the Destin communities tend to skew a little older and a little more second home. Would stay on the Okaloosa County side of the line in that area in the name of better schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola