Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 06:49 AM

14,451 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Am thinking that since Mildred travelled to Cuba, she may well have travelled elsewhere and may even have moved to another country to live. She may well have applied for a passport within a few years of her trip to Cuba.

You can apply for info on a passport issued to a third-party (ie not yourself, or your minor children) under the Freedom of Information Act.

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...20to%20Present

B. Seeking passport related information or seeking a copy of someone else’s passport records without an authorization from that individual. These are considered FOIA requests.
All requests for information or passport records of a third party, other than individuals described in Part A, are processed under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). These records may be requested by mail at:
[CENTER]U.S. Department of State
Office of Law Enforcement Liaison
FOIA Officer
44132 Mercure Cir
P.O. Box 1227
Sterling, VA 20166

[/CENTER]
GOOD!
The Op should apply today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 06:50 AM

197 posts, read 195,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I believe I said I have a similar situation where mother in law's mother left her 2 kids. The cousin DNA match didn't know she even had 2 kids in her short marriage. It's very possible your mother felt a lot of shame or family members gave her heck for leaving you behind. I know someone that left their son, family stopped speaking to her until recently. Her son is in his 20's
Mildred's siblings were all put in homes during the 1930's. I have learned that the two boys never saw the three sisters ever again according to a cousin. They did stay in touch with each other and their Dad. Two of the sisters stayed in touch with each other (not Mildred) as my cousins remember playing with their cousins. Mildred appears on paper in 1947 and 1948 then not again until 1959.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
GOOD!
The Op should apply today.
I will draft a request today.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:59 PM

14,451 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Obituary for William J. Galvin (died 1966) age 74 of #73 Buckingham St. died Friday at his home. Born in Waterbury and lived in Hartford for many years. Husband of the late Jennie Ney Galvin, William was a member of the IBEW local and was employed as an electrician. He leaves two sons, Donald C. (Hartford) and Edward C. (East Hartford) and three daughters out of town. Dillon Funeral Home and burial at Northwood Cemetery in Wilson.

Disappointment that it did not name the three daughters with locations but the Op has contacted relatives of two of the daughters.

So the obituary gives the correct spelling of Jennie's middle name and she is named as Jennie (Jane elsewhere ?). It does tell us that Jennie died before he did. It advances things to 1966 such that as far as the person who wrote the obituary knew all three of his daughters were still living. This may or may not remove the chance that Mildred died in some accident vs. natural causes.
Also it puts his birth year as 1892.

Maybe with some very good luck former neighbors of #73 Buckingham St. might have known something about the whereabouts of Mildred. Or a retired person from that local IBEW.

With Jennie deceased and upon the death of William who may have been the only one is the household, there is a remote chance that Mildred attended her father's funeral.

Informative obituary though lacking details we all hoped for.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:59 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
"Oh, I'm rollin' flowin' through the whole population
(Mr. Skin you know where you've been)
Oh, the high and the low born are my friends and relations (Mr. Skin you know where you've been)"

I am starting to feel like I've looked thru the whole population, friends and relations. I know where I've been, but I can't tell you where its going. Ancestry DNA kit has been ordered. never thought I would be so excited about spitting.

The important thing is you know where you are.

I think the DNA test is the next logical step. Follow the instructions Roselvr gave earlier to upload your results to Ancestry after you receive them. Let us know how it goes!

Old 11-15-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Update: I contacted St. Anne's Church in Waterbury and requested a copy of my Baptismal Certificate, which they found and they are sending me one. Got me thinking, Maybe my dad and Mildred got married there so I am going to contact them again. My Dad's family grew up in that Parish , Why wouln't they Marry there (as long as they had a Marriage License, which Waterbury could not find.) I know that Mildred was baptized Catholic, whether or not she is a practicing Catholic remains to be seen.
Since I have nothing else to do I started contacting Catholic Parishes in Manhattan to ask if they have a Mildred Galvin as a Parishioner. So far sent out to five Churches, still early, but one response "No". Still have way more to send out all via email. If I'm lucky she is "Church Lady".
The Baptismal Certificate should list God parents. Who knows, perhaps that will give you a new person to track down such as a friend of your mother's?

Good thinking about the marriage certificate!

Since you have been told on two different occasions that your birth mother was last seen heading to New York City, you might want to also inquire with the NYC City Clerk to see if they can find a second marriage for your mother there. They will (for a reasonable cost) search their records year by year. If a marriage record is older than 50 years, it is easily obtainable by anyone. Since you know she wasn't married in 1959, you could have them search the years from 1959 to 1967 and see if anything turns up. Here is the link to the NYC City Clerk's office:

http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/ma....shtml#under50

The information about searches is under the Fees area. It looks like you'll need to call them directly to ask how to go about ordering and paying for a search.

Last edited by RosieSD; 11-15-2017 at 07:20 PM..

Old 11-15-2017, 07:24 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Obituary for William J. Galvin (died 1966) age 74 of #73 Buckingham St. died Friday at his home. Born in Waterbury and lived in Hartford for many years. Husband of the late Jennie Ney Galvin, William was a member of the IBEW local and was employed as an electrician. He leaves two sons, Donald C. (Hartford) and Edward C. (East Hartford) and three daughters out of town. Dillon Funeral Home and burial at Northwood Cemetery in Wilson.

Disappointment that it did not name the three daughters with locations but the Op has contacted relatives of two of the daughters.

So the obituary gives the correct spelling of Jennie's middle name and she is named as Jennie (Jane elsewhere ?). It does tell us that Jennie died before he did. It advances things to 1966 such that as far as the person who wrote the obituary knew all three of his daughters were still living. This may or may not remove the chance that Mildred died in some accident vs. natural causes.

Maybe with some very good luck former neighbors of #73 Buckingham St. might have known something about the whereabouts of Mildred. Or a retired person from that local IBEW.

With Jennie deceased and upon the death of William who may have been the only one is the household, there is a remote chance that Mildred attended her father's funeral.

The funeral home should maintain records & typically will have all the survivors listed. And on occasion the cemetery will have next of kin in its records.

Social Security death index
Name: William Galvin
SSN: 048-03-7204
Last Residence:
06103 Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
BORN: 12 Mar 1892
Died: Nov 1966
State (Year) SSN issued: Connecticut (Before 1951)

Connecticut death index
Name: Willi J Galvin
Race: White
Marital Status: Widowed
Birth Date: abt 1892
Residence : Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut
Death Date: 11 Nov 1966
Death Place: Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut
State File #: 21997

Last edited by historyfan; 11-15-2017 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-15-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:

What site did you use for the William J.Galvin Obit?
I have been told by Edward's Daughter that her Dad never saw his Mother or sisters ever again after the family was split up in the 1930's. Also that William J. Galvin and his sons Edward and Donald did stay in touch and socialized often. All three were Electricians. I have not had any luck finding an Obit for Jennie E, (Ney) Galvin born in 1896 in Meriden, CT.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:33 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The important thing is you know where you are.

I think the DNA test is the next logical step. Follow the instructions Roselvr gave earlier to upload your results to Ancestry after you receive them. Let us know how it goes!
Once his Ancestry results are done processing, he follows my post to upload to my heritage, family tree DNA, and GEDmatch to see if he has any matches from her.

He should also consider testing someone from her side if still alive so he can see what matches go to her side since DNA should be on sale till the new year.

I have a father and son 4th to 6th cousin match that I'm clueless what relative we share. Been trying to work on both of our trees. He uploaded to all the sites the other day so now we wait to see if there's answers. Would be easier if I had my parents samples.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
What site did you use for the William J.Galvin Obit?
I have been told by Edward's Daughter that her Dad never saw his Mother or sisters ever again after the family was split up in the 1930's. Also that William J. Galvin and his sons Edward and Donald did stay in touch and socialized often. All three were Electricians. I have not had any luck finding an Obit for Jennie E, (Ney) Galvin born in 1896 in Meriden, CT.
There are two important things that William's obituary tells us.

First, he died in 1966 but his obituary mentions three daughters. That would appear to indicate that your mother probably was still alive in 1966. She didn't die right soon after her return from Cuba as N. was told by her mother.

The other thing to note about the obituary for William is that it mentions his wife. Not his former wife, but his wife. It would be interesting to see whether Jennie is buried in the same cemetery.

So, even though your cousin said that her mother told her that they never saw each other again, when he died, they were still married when he died. They may, indeed, have been in contact over the years but his daughter(s) just weren't aware of it.

Now that you have the date of William's death, you can also see if you can hunt down his will/estate/probate settlement in the CT records. You also know that Jennie died before 1966, which might be helpful as well.

Good find, Howard!

Last edited by RosieSD; 11-16-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search