Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 07:36 PM

14,491 posts, read 20,678,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Have you read any of the threads here? A lot of them tell why they're searching. Some are family they lost touch with for various reasons.

This section has done a lot of good to help people. Sure there may be a few bad apples, but the good far outweighs the bad.
Agreed.
I think "they" should at least have a chance to know each other.

Some I've known have been tearful reunions.
A early 40 something military man did not know he was a father. All his daughter had was a photo and a "try to guess his" name. Little did he know that not only was he a father but he was also a grandfather at that young age and when the three met it was a big day in their lives.

Another where the mother and aunt had lied about who the father was. The casual threat of DNA caused the Aunt to finally admit it and a simple phone call to a hole in the road town in Kentucky led to a name that led to an obituary in a northern state and the four children born to the real father got to meet and it was a happy ending for all of them.

Those two young ladies were glad they looked for their father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 05:08 AM

30,554 posts, read 16,247,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Re: People searching for people still living

I have not posted in this forum before now, but I am thinking that if I did not want someone to find me, it would make me very angry to find my name in the title of a thread in this forum! Also, although this does not apply to me, some people might be hiding from an abusive past boyfriend or girlfriend, for example.

For those of you posting or answering in this forum, has that even occurred to you? And if it has or hasn't, what do you think or how do you feel about that?
yes, actually it has. However if someone is looking for someone, I doubt this forum would be the 1st place they'd look. There are a lot of people-finding sites for that specifically.

anecdotes aside, not every biological parent wants to be found. Nor every old friend, classmate, love interest, etc.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:49 PM

671 posts, read 855,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
In my case, I am a bio-mother and gave up my children when they were born.

I have no desire to see them, as they hopefully are content with the families they now have. It's better for all concerned, I'm sure.

I do still think of those children and hope that they are doing well, but that's as far as it goes.
May I ask why you don't care to see them?

I recently attended an adoption workshop and the issue of private/closed adoption was discussed as it is less common nowadays.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:10 PM

1,159 posts, read 621,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Re: People searching for people still living

I have not posted in this forum before now, but I am thinking that if I did not want someone to find me, it would make me very angry to find my name in the title of a thread in this forum! Also, although this does not apply to me, some people might be hiding from an abusive past boyfriend or girlfriend, for example.

For those of you posting or answering in this forum, has that even occurred to you? And if it has or hasn't, what do you think or how do you feel about that?
I agree with you 100000% I would be scared, angry and curious if I found my name. Personally I wish this section would be deleted. Why don't people see this as a problem??!!

Old 02-28-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I'd say too bad, its not all about you.
Change your name if its that important.
Too bad? What a dumb response. Why should they charge their names? They don't have to do anything. Those Weird people posting here should not be so Curious. I can't believe you posted that

Old 02-28-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:

I have no desire to see them, as they hopefully are content with the families they now have. It's better for all concerned, I'm sure.

I do still think of those children and hope that they are doing well, but that's as far as it goes.
Why would you do something like that? So if they were curious to meet you, you would turn them away? Wow

Old 02-29-2020, 02:49 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,496,050 times
I've been doing FREE searches for many years on here and other places. The worse I ever had was a Birth Mother that didn't want to meet her adult Child and I feel that is up to her. I've have had a couple of searches that I felt the person looking was up to no good so I didn't give him the information. Like Roselvr said the good far outweighs the bad.

Bill

Old 02-29-2020, 05:03 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,068,791 times
Quote:

MAybe you'll have a change of heart one day.

https://youtu.be/GofREVeNbcw

Old 02-29-2020, 05:28 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,068,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
Too bad? What a dumb response. Why should they charge their names? They don't have to do anything. Those Weird people posting here should not be so Curious. I can't believe you posted that
Its not all about you.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:50 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,638,276 times
I haven't been on City Data with any regularity for a number of years for several reasons but, this is one of most favorite areas and I have heroes on these threads. Mr. Bill, Roselvr, Howard555 to name a few. Some that no longer post here that did a lot of good.

I understand what people are saying about not wanting to be found. Take the necessary steps then to head off a casual, unannounced encounter. But, please don't take a judgmental stand against people who are truly trying to help others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search