Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,519,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Hey, look! My obsessive stalker has followed me to the Finance forum. Wonderful, I get to make him/her look like a fool here too.

So, sweetheart, If you borrow my truck for a day and after 6 months refuse to return it, what do you call that if not stealing?

Shoplifting is stealing. Defaulting on a mortgage is stealing with rationalization. What's next, Wiki?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 06:32 AM

848 posts, read 1,955,198 times
When I read posts like this one, I am always left with the impression the OP is seeking only input from those who agree with him/her.

Really, assuming you aren't a teenager or younger, do you need others opinions on what you consider a moral question?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Hey, look! My obsessive stalker has followed me to the Finance forum. Wonderful, I get to make him/her look like a fool here too.
I don't think so, thanks for directing me here, personal finance and responsibility is one of my many strong suits. I have weathered many storms because of good decisions and a network of safety nets to help cushion unexpected events like medical disasters, market crashes and economic turndowns. I retired at 50, so pay attention and dis-inflate your head and ego, you might actually learn something.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:38 PM

14,569 posts, read 23,100,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
So, sweetheart, If you borrow my truck for a day and after 6 months refuse to return it, what do you call that if not stealing?
Lots of "what if's" factor in there. Depending on whether you made an effort to re-acquire the vehicle, you could lose claim to it.

That's legal stuff though, and it appears to be about several degrees of magnitude outside your realm, so I digress.

Quote:
Defaulting on a mortgage is stealing with rationalization.
Do you have any case law where someone has been charged with theft for defaulting on a mortgage?

Quote:
What's next, Wiki?
Well I think I'll wait for you to go on another psychotic, multi-post rant about how this post was a "threat" to you, then we'll go from there.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Lots of "what if's" factor in there. Depending on whether you made an effort to re-acquire the vehicle, you could lose claim to it.
Uh, David, please read the title of the thread. Now if someone lent you their truck for a day and you had not returned it in six months, would that be considered stealing? Morally? It's really quite simple, lad. Do I need to write it in crayon on a Big Chief Tablet for you?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 PM

14,569 posts, read 23,100,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Uh, David, please read the title of the thread. Now if someone lent you their truck for a day and you had not returned it in six months, would that be considered stealing? Morally?
Theft isn't defined by morals, it's defined by laws. Hence, the "lots of what ifs" comment.

Quote:
It's really quite simple, lad. Do I need to write it in crayon on a Big Chief Tablet for you?
You could send me a couple more obsessive PM's. That might work.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Theft isn't defined by morals, it's defined by laws. Hence, the "lots of what ifs" comment.

You could send me a couple more obsessive PM's. That might work.
OK, will do. I'll use small words and be nice.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post

Wealth is the value of goods and services exchanged.
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this is one of the funniest things Ive ever heard. Ethiopia can become the wealthiest country in the world, by just declaring a "Trade Weekend". On Saturday, everybody sells everything they have to their neighbor for a million dollars, and accept an IOU. Then on Sunday, they buy it back. Two-million dollars per person, added to the national wealth. Finally, they are a first-world economic power.

Here's another get rich quick scheme. You mow your neighbor's lawn, and he mows yours. You each charge a million dollars for the lawn care service. Then retire for life on all that wealth that you have created. Here's a hint: Use Monopoly money, it will work just as well for that purpose.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:05 PM

566 posts, read 1,559,581 times
Quote:
So I suppose in your eyes it is moral to mug an elderly man for fifty cents. I suppose it is moral to hold up a liquor store for the cash register. And I also suppose that you don't mind me taking your house, cars, and electronics, since I am a highly moral person who is the mood for some new, free merchandise.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:06 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,249,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this is one of the funniest things Ive ever heard. Ethiopia can become the wealthiest country in the world, by just declaring a "Trade Weekend". On Saturday, everybody sells everything they have to their neighbor for a million dollars, and accept an IOU. Then on Sunday, they buy it back. Two-million dollars per person, added to the national wealth. Finally, they are a first-world economic power.

Here's another get rich quick scheme. You mow your neighbor's lawn, and he mows yours. You each charge a million dollars for the lawn care service. Then retire for life on all that wealth that you have created. Here's a hint: Use Monopoly money, it will work just as well for that purpose.
No worries. No disrespect taken. Laughter is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance