Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:03 PM

68 posts, read 243,468 times

Advertisements

Is it "morally" wrong to default on unsecured debt? If a real "hardship" occurred and there was no other way out of this debt, what should be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4satnleycups View Post
Is it "morally" wrong to default on unsecured debt? If a real "hardship" occurred and there was no other way out of this debt, what should be done?
Pardon the pun, but the devil is in the details.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:02 PM

414 posts, read 1,863,189 times
I think so. If you spent it, you have a responsibility to pay it back. What do you define as a severe hardship?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
No. You are borrowing within the context of a system in which there are offsets to bad debts. All the rules are made by the lender, and are not negotiable. All the rules favor the lender. The lender has structured everything so he wins, even if some people default, because those who don't default are subsidizing those who do. Everyone knows from the start that this is the way it will work, and if you default, you are just fitting in like a piece in a puzzle. Somebody else has voluntarily agreed to terms in which they undertake to cover for you if you default, and they know it. In fact, those who honor the agreement have already paid for your default, and the lender is holding the money in anticipation of your default.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I think so. If you spent it, you have a responsibility to pay it back. What do you define as a severe hardship?
My question was: Is it "morally" wrong to default on unsecured debt? If a real "hardship" occurred and there was no other way out of this debt, what should be done?

I said a Real Hardship, not Severe hardship. We can define a hardship as a loss of income, a spouse passing away, a medical condition, an act of nature such as Katrina. These and more are Real hardships that prevent you from paying your debt, not going on vacation some place or going on a shopping spree and charging your cards to the limits and very soon finding out you cannot keep up with your payments. That is what I meant by a Real hardship.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Yes, but based on your definition, there would never be a need for people to have emergency savings or plan for hardships by outlining their spending plans accordingly.

That's the whole point - you should spend and save like you may have a hardship at any time. That's your responsibility.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
No. You are borrowing within the context of a system in which there are offsets to bad debts. All the rules are made by the lender, and are not negotiable. All the rules favor the lender. The lender has structured everything so he wins, even if some people default, because those who don't default are subsidizing those who do. Everyone knows from the start that this is the way it will work, and if you default, you are just fitting in like a piece in a puzzle. Somebody else has voluntarily agreed to terms in which they undertake to cover for you if you default, and they know it. In fact, those who honor the agreement have already paid for your default, and the lender is holding the money in anticipation of your default.
If this were the case the American economy would be in far worse shape, no one would pay their debt and the government would have to bail the banks out for ever. The question here is: Is it "morally" wrong to default on unsecured debt? If a real "hardship" occurred and there was no other way out of this debt, what should be done?

I'm not talking about going out and applying for a million credit cards and maxing them out and then turning around and saying to the creditors I'm not paying you back because you knew you were covered for the losses from the beginning, remember I used the word "morally" having nothing to do with the law or if the creditors are covered for their losses or not. I'm talking on a personal level, I was taught to pay my debt and to honor any agreement I entered into and so far I have, what I'm wondering is if I ever have a "real hardship" is if I would hesitate not to pay my debt, regardless if the creditor is covered or not for the loss or if they are making a profit on it.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:50 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,168,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's the whole point - you should spend and save like you may have a hardship at any time. That's your responsibility.
Totally agree. "Loss of income"?? This is exactly why you're supposed to have rainy day funds. Have we really gotten so screwed up that we don't believe you should be responsible for your own well-being anymore?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, but based on your definition, there would never be a need for people to have emergency savings or plan for hardships by outlining their spending plans accordingly.

Stan4,

There are very few consumers that do this, the percentages are very low. Americans became used to being bailed out by plastic. That is my point exactly how many of us are still old school? I remember my grandparents cutting down on expenses and living within their means to pay their debt off, they never had any trouble honoring their contracts. How many people still think that way today?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Totally agree. "Loss of income"?? This is exactly why you're supposed to have rainy day funds. Have we really gotten so screwed up that we don't believe you should be responsible for your own well-being anymore?
Very few people world wide let alone America live by this code anymore, it is truly amazing to see professionals earning upwards of 75k filling for bankruptcy, now that is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance