Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:05 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,030,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
better to invest in stock market or buy PMs. Cash is trash these days especially when you factor in the (real) inflation rate.
Um no it's not. The stock market is a risk. A checking account is zero risk. And if you say cash is trash then paypal me what's in your checking account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
I agree Daniel. We are 71 and 64 and have very little desire for risk of any kind other than our IRA's. We do however end up with large amount in our checking accounts while we are deciding where to put that money or if we will need it for taxes. So a nice 4% checking account is great for us. Liquid and safe while earning interest.

I'm thrilled to find something which will work for us. Can't believe 4% is something to get excited about but it surely is.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,817,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I agree Daniel. We are 71 and 64 and have very little desire for risk of any kind other than our IRA's. We do however end up with large amount in our checking accounts while we are deciding where to put that money or if we will need it for taxes. So a nice 4% checking account is great for us. Liquid and safe while earning interest.

I'm thrilled to find something which will work for us. Can't believe 4% is something to get excited about but it surely is.
Are you both retired?

Try Gov't bonds.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
Can't get DH to retire and I have real estate rental income. We also still have 2 minor children we are trying to plan for.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 AM

762 posts, read 1,100,040 times
If somebody has close to 10 transactions/month before you heard about the offer, then go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu
What about the risk/money involved in driving around town using your debit card to make purchases? Most car accidents happen on spontaneous, short run trips--particularly parking lots!

You’re gaining about $60/month (4%-1% interest). Think about it, this sounds like the bare minimum of reward for the ‘hoops’ you will be jumping through; not to mention the awkwardness of charging 10 separate transactions while people are waiting/watching. Also, lots of room for error/miscalculation with 10 mandatory debit transactions/month!

The Banks are gaining valuable information pertaining to the continued illogic of the populace @ large.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,131,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
If somebody has close to 10 transactions/month before you heard about the offer, then go for it.

What about the risk/money involved in driving around town using your debit card to make purchases? Most car accidents happen on spontaneous, short run trips--particularly parking lots!

You’re gaining about $60/month (4%-1% interest).
Think about it, this sounds like the bare minimum of reward for the ‘hoops’ you will be jumping through; not to mention the awkwardness of charging 10 separate transactions while people are waiting/watching. Also, lots of room for error/miscalculation with 10 mandatory debit transactions/month!

The Banks are gaining valuable information pertaining to the continued illogic of the populace @ large.
Like I said, What I would do is use a self checkout (ONLY times... I HATE those things) and check out my groceries as 10 different transactions.

The chick in charge of 'watching' the self checkouts looked at me a little strangely, till I told her why.

By taking less than 5 minutes, I pretty much paid for my groceries each month. (I usually make another run or 2, but for minor things, fruit, vegies, bread etc)

I can't 'make' $60 in <5 minutes elsewhere....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance