Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,805,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
HOLY CRAP I WAS ASKING A QUESTION I AM NOT UPSET!!!!!! its like no matter how i would have posted or worded this question i would have been judged. i know nothing of how the tax system works. i work i pay taxes i file i get my $1,500 back im happy with that. your right i donk know the tax rules this is why i asked how is this possible. if she claimed 16 kids wouldn't she have to proove thos 16 kids?
Your words : ( quote ) : "you are correct that i dont know the whole situation but i do know these people pretty well and i do know that the whole family knows how to work the welfare/ssa system. I work in the banking industry as a mortgage processor and i've seen dozens and dozens of tax returns in my career and have never seen this type of refund. i guess its possible then. good for them." quote--- ( from your other post in NJ forum ) end quote.

OP :You have created 2 different posts about the same thing. What is your REAL issue with them receiving the tax refund ?
Do you think they are committing fraudulent tax returns ?
If so, do you want to do something about it ?
What would you like to happen here ?

And if they claim 16 dependants at tax time, they need 16... SS# numbers....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 03:41 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,508,500 times
While I worked for the IRS, many years ago we had a preparer that did over a thousand returns a year and made up the most incredible nonexistent deductions for each one of those returns to get big refunds. People brought him their friends and relatives. When they were all audited, there were a lot of tears and blame.

People can tell you anything and gossip is worthless. There is no way you can verify anything that someone tells you about their taxes or someone else's taxes.

They may be scamming the government but why do you care? Why are you believing gossip and rumor? Keep your tax return ethical and tell others you are not interested in their gossip about others.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:41 PM

22,697 posts, read 47,906,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
why do you care? Why are you believing gossip and rumor? Keep your tax return ethical and tell others you are not interested in their gossip about others.
Amen (and rep) to that!

Old 02-11-2011, 04:47 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,972,263 times
The ultimate goal is to not get a refund and not owe. Why let the government keep your money interest free all year?

If you have taken all the legal deductions that you can and are only getting a small amount back, than look at it as doing things right throughout the year.....

Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,370,541 times
Quote:
i still dont understand how she can get money back from irs that she didnt put into..
Here is an example:

I am a teacher with two children and a wife who stays home with the youngest. Knowing that my tax liability would be almost nothing, I claimed all four of us all year and paid in less than $500 in federal taxes all year. When I filed, I was given a refund of almost $6,000.

My tax liability for 2010 was less than -10%.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,550,208 times
Quote:
i still dont understand how she can get money back from irs that she didnt put into.. she's on unemployement and when she did work it was part time she could not have made more than $20,000 for the year. she claimed on kid. its just crazy.
That has no bearing, obviously. My ex babysitter gets back 7 grand every year. Neither she or her husband works. BUT! They have 5 kids!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:42 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,550,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
If you don't care then why make a thread?

Because iit is a damn interesting question, that's why!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:12 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,370,541 times
I knew a lady who cheated on her taxes and bragged about it at work. She was getting well over 10K on her return. I would think that would look suspicious to the IRS if they even pay attention to the small time returns.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:49 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,447,921 times
well it was revealed to me this weekend that yes they had claimed family members. Her boyfriend claimed her disabled father, and she claimed her 2 disabled adult brothers. the only one that is really disabled is the father. so question answered no need for anymore bashing. end of thread. thanks to all of you who did answer me without being mean.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:24 PM

543 posts, read 1,001,531 times
I am getting a lot of money back from the IRS but I think is because I am also a business owner (dancing revenues are filed as if it was a business). Also, I am filling separate from my spouse (we are together, but due to the business operations, we are filing separately).

I incurred in a big loss around October (due to family problems), and it was the first year I filed as a business entity (so I listed over 5K in business expenses, and I have ALL the receipts to back it up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance