Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:52 PM

5,727 posts, read 10,153,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Insurance? Yes. Banking and other financial products? NO

Banking is great.

I had my debit card stolen (I was in Ohio buying computer stuff while I was actually on the gulf coast)

They had my $ back within 24 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 PM

33,040 posts, read 36,646,920 times
Their customer service is top-notch.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,653,627 times
For veterans, USAA is second to none. They look after you in ways no other bank ever has or ever will. For everyone else, I don't know how USAA stacks up and frankly I don't care.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,818,891 times
Thinking of switching banks.
I keep hearing USAA customer service is tops.
And the mobile deposit would work (or the ups store deposits, although that seems a bit weird).
It looks like (from their website) that you just need one of their credit cards to qualify for the mobile deposits? If so I have no problem with that. Can anyone confirm? My company uses direct deposit, my wife's does not.

Other things I'm looking for is the ability to have multiple checking and savings accounts, all linked together to make transfers between them easy (and free). Free ATMs. Free online bill pay (and a GOOD bill pay system). And anything else that is going to make life easier and be fee free.

I have bank of america now.

Any other thoughts on this bank?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:33 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,114,367 times
I just switched my homeowners and auto insurance. Their rates were t even close. Saved $800 a year. Customer service was OUTSTANDING!!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:50 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,516,946 times
LOVE them for all things banking and insurance except for mortgages. We got our last mortgage with them and they farm it out to a third party which were not together at all.

Otherwise they just can't be beat. I've had insurance agents tell me that they just can't compete with USAA. And I love their auto deposit and no ATM fees.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,818,859 times
I'd never use anyone else for insurance or loans (car, mortgage). We do bank with them but also with a credit union locally. The latter has very little of our money. It's around so we have a physical bank. Love, love, love USAA. Their customer service is unbelievably good!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,454,943 times
I use USAA for all my insurance (life, car, flood, renters, homeowners). They are amazing. I use to have their banking and investing but I switched when I started working at a brokerage firm but I have never had a problem they are great.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:21 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,333,454 times
I'm another long-time USAA customer. Love them.

Years ago I hit a rough patch during a transition (divorce, relocation, etc.) and was sinking fast. I called USAA and asked if there was ANYTHING they could do to help out, and they said sure. They deferred all my payments for two months -- insurance, car loan, credit card. I don't remember if I accrued interest during that period or not. I just remember that it was a HUGE blessing for me and gave me just what I needed to get my financial feet back under me. Saved me from totally destroying my credit due to late payments, etc.

In all my years of being with them, I've only ever had one thing to complain about and they made it right within a few months.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,891,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Thinking of switching banks.
I keep hearing USAA customer service is tops.
And the mobile deposit would work (or the ups store deposits, although that seems a bit weird).
It looks like (from their website) that you just need one of their credit cards to qualify for the mobile deposits? If so I have no problem with that. Can anyone confirm? My company uses direct deposit, my wife's does not.

Other things I'm looking for is the ability to have multiple checking and savings accounts, all linked together to make transfers between them easy (and free). Free ATMs. Free online bill pay (and a GOOD bill pay system). And anything else that is going to make life easier and be fee free.

I have bank of america now.

Any other thoughts on this bank?
The UPS store deposits are weir dish but they are great. I did it for the first time over the weekend and basically I got the paper check back with holes but the money was in my account by the time I walked over to the grocery store in the same shopping center.

On the deposit mobile or at home, it basically comes down to creditworthiness. If you can get a card through them you can use deposit at home. The online bill pay is solid, linking other accounts is not hard. You get reimbursed for ATM fees at other banks ATMs.

In short, USAA is an awesome bank provided you don't need to make a lot of cash deposits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance