Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:07 AM

4,472 posts, read 8,169,301 times

Advertisements

That credit card hit is minimal and not long lasting when opening a new line of credit. Even when you close the line of credit, the hit is minimal and your score recovers quickly. A credit score is just a number anyways. It doesn't affect you much unless you'll be applying for new line of credit. So don't go opening/closing accounts right before you get a mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 11:15 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,721,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
If you are shopping in a store and they ask you if you would like to open a CC what makes you say yes? What are the reasons that you would like to open this credit card....would the fact that I can save you 40% on an initial purchase help?
Opening a "store" CC is without doubt THE single dumbest thing a person can do!

No one gives money away so all these percent off offers are is an invite from the spider(the store) to the fly (YOU!) to get eaten alive with interest & other charges!

Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,179,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

No one gives money away so all these percent off offers are is an invite from the spider(the store) to the fly (YOU!) to get eaten alive with interest & other charges!
OMG, does every mention of credit cards or charge cards have to yield the "credit is evil" or "stupid people use credit" posts?? We're not all idiots who charge more than we can afford. Some of us are capable of using a card wisely. Sheesh.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:38 PM

15,643 posts, read 26,334,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
OMG, does every mention of credit cards or charge cards have to yield the "credit is evil" or "stupid people use credit" posts?? We're not all idiots who charge more than we can afford. Some of us are capable of using a card wisely. Sheesh.
Yep... and then they bring up Dave Ramsay....

Old 03-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:

I haven't paid a cent on interest on my Best Buy or Home Improvement cards. I just pay off the balance before the interest hits on the same as cash programs.

Credit isn't evil so long as you use it wisely.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:42 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,538,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I haven't paid a cent on interest on my Best Buy or Home Improvement cards. I just pay off the balance before the interest hits on the same as cash programs.

Same, all of the benefit, none of the penalties.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,721,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yep... and then they bring up Dave Ramsay....
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Same, all of the benefit, none of the penalties.
What people that have more than one or two CC are in denial about is that the credit limit on each card is viewed as already owing the whole limit...because you can with just one charge!

More that one person have been turned down for a loan 'cause the banker looked at your CC history and saw all that......potential....debt hanging out there in your future.

So OK, some of you have skated by with no troubles or worries. BUT that doesn't mean that you will always live a worry free life as long as you nurse the CC industry with your blind faith in what they say or tell you.

One thing in life will always be true..... money has no friends nor any owners. Borrowed (CC) money has even less..........

Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 PM

Nothing goes on the credit card unless I can instantly pay it off. What's the difference if I use cash or plastic at that point? Also I really doubt my $3500 credit limit Best Buy card will bring the house of cards tumbling down on my head.

With the same logic, pain killers will be inherently evil because people misuse them too...

Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,718,688 times
Quote:
Nothing goes on the credit card unless I can instantly pay it off. What's the difference if I use cash or plastic at that point? Also I really doubt my $3500 credit limit Best Buy card will bring the house of cards tumbling down on my head.

With the same logic, pain killers will be inherently evil because people misuse them too...

That is a good point. This is why my husband monitors my credit

Old 03-03-2011, 08:47 PM

15,643 posts, read 26,334,269 times
Quote:
What people that have more than one or two CC are in denial about is that the credit limit on each card is viewed as already owing the whole limit...because you can with just one charge!

More that one person have been turned down for a loan 'cause the banker looked at your CC history and saw all that......potential....debt hanging out there in your future.

So OK, some of you have skated by with no troubles or worries. BUT that doesn't mean that you will always live a worry free life as long as you nurse the CC industry with your blind faith in what they say or tell you.

One thing in life will always be true..... money has no friends nor any owners. Borrowed (CC) money has even less..........
I think you're wrong, and here's why.

When I was in banking they looked at the amount you charged on your cards AND the amount you could charge and said this person doesn't use all his credit and therefore is a good risk. At the time a few credit card companies were looked down upon as causing problems on a credit report, like Capital One -- because Capital One would give you a 20K credit line, but then only report what you used as a credit limit, so the second you charged on your CapOne card you looked as if you were charged to the hilt.

And I know for a fact that our credit rating was in the 815 range, and we easily got a home loan and a car loan AND our credit report listed available credit via credit cards at three times what we earned in a year.

We might be going back that way again -- in which case it would make sense to close lines you don't use versus leaving the lines open and destroying the card so you don't lose track of it. I've had several credit cards that we haven't used in years mail us letters thanking us for our past business, but since we hadn't used the card in years, it must no longer meet our critieria for use, and they closed it. BUT -- I haven't had a letter like that since like 2008.... so it looks like the credit card companies have stopped doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance