Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 AM

251 posts, read 209,598 times

Advertisements

I agree with this post.
People are superficial and it comes out in all so many ways.
No need to get angry.
You seem to be independent minded and that is a good thing.
If it really upsets you then tell them to get in a box.
And when they respond they won't or don't want to.
Then let them know you don't like to be told to get into a box either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Here's the thing -- to most people, life is supposed to follow a path. You are born, you grow up, you get married, you buy a house, you have some kids, you retire, you have some fun and then you croak.... and there is something very calming and reassuring about that "natural order of life".

When you don't follow the norm, you upset their apple cart. In our case, we are happily married and have no children. And at 50, it generally means to a lot of people that something went wrong, and they have the good graces to not mention it.

We let them think it, because it's none of their business we didn't want kids. But when I was in my thirties I had a lot of pressure about not having kids. And most of ii from the people who had the WORST trouble with their kids later on.

So what you have to understand is -- doing what other people do reassures those people they are right in their decisions. But getting angry about their decisions doesn't help. Just stand strong knowing that for you renting is perfect. and it's okay to tell them that, with a good dose of humor....

I do remember one time hubs was playing with a baby and thoroughly enjoying himself, as the rest of the guys were talking on and on about sports, which hubby could care less about. One woman said to me that it was a sin to deprive my husband of a child, when it was SO clear he loved children.

I yelled over to hubs -- Honey, when can I have a baby? He said -- When you find a new husband. THIS one I can give back when he gets cranky or messy.....

I smiled at the woman and said -- we really don't want children. It's not that we don't like children, or think we'd be awful parents, or had horrible childhoods -- we've never wanted children.

They either get it or they don't. And your real friends will stay, whether they get it or not....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 01:04 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,645,586 times
I'm quite sure no one gives a flying damn if you buy a home or live in a tent. If it was said, it's just conversation, nothing to get upset about.
You're making a big deal out of nothing...! Chill out and take in a movie.....................

Old 03-20-2011, 02:27 PM

600 posts, read 1,610,078 times
I don't really understand why a single guy with no family should buy a house anyway. My ex bought a 4 bedroom house last year mostly for the $ 8,000 tax credit - now he's being offered a job 3,000 miles away and he is faced with the problem of finding someone to rent the house out to.
2 of my girlfriends bought houses for the same reason and now regret that they didn't wait longer to save up for a bigger downpayment.
I can totally understand your frustration. It's none of anybody's business.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:43 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,368,955 times
Screw em.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:55 PM

38,935 posts, read 22,935,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I just ask them if they are going to pay for it. Usually shuts 'em up!
This is the best response!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:57 PM

38,935 posts, read 22,935,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Here's the thing -- to most people, life is supposed to follow a path. You are born, you grow up, you get married, you buy a house, you have some kids, you retire, you have some fun and then you croak.... and there is something very calming and reassuring about that "natural order of life".

When you don't follow the norm, you upset their apple cart. In our case, we are happily married and have no children. And at 50, it generally means to a lot of people that something went wrong, and they have the good graces to not mention it.

We let them think it, because it's none of their business we didn't want kids. But when I was in my thirties I had a lot of pressure about not having kids. And most of ii from the people who had the WORST trouble with their kids later on.

So what you have to understand is -- doing what other people do reassures those people they are right in their decisions. But getting angry about their decisions doesn't help. Just stand strong knowing that for you renting is perfect. and it's okay to tell them that, with a good dose of humor....

I do remember one time hubs was playing with a baby and thoroughly enjoying himself, as the rest of the guys were talking on and on about sports, which hubby could care less about. One woman said to me that it was a sin to deprive my husband of a child, when it was SO clear he loved children.

I yelled over to hubs -- Honey, when can I have a baby? He said -- When you find a new husband. THIS one I can give back when he gets cranky or messy.....

I smiled at the woman and said -- we really don't want children. It's not that we don't like children, or think we'd be awful parents, or had horrible childhoods -- we've never wanted children.

They either get it or they don't. And your real friends will stay, whether they get it or not....
This entire post was great! I just gave you a reputation point.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:16 PM

654 posts, read 3,458,259 times
Yeah...its called "living like no one else so you can LIVE like no one else"....

Old 03-20-2011, 07:26 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,877,477 times
Maybe you should get married... you aren't getting any younger... lol.... jk....

Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 PM

600 posts, read 1,610,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Maybe you should get married... you aren't getting any younger... lol.... jk....
Don't forget the kids. Cause his life won't be "complete" without them .

Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,894,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Usually that would require dating, and from many of the OP's posts, he hasn't been very successful there, either...!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance