Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This is vacuous, saying people "just like it" begs the question, namely, why do they like it? Now, they may not be consciously aware of why, but there is going to be a reason. In terms of beer choice, that is a highly related to socioeconomic status, in particular of the environment you grew up in. In fact tell me someone's beer choice and I can with a rather high probability tell you their socioeconomic background.

I have no idea why people think "I just like it" is an explanation of anything.
I have no idea why you think we owe you an explanation.

Why do I use a check card and not a credit card?

I just like it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 02:44 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I wish i could use a credit card to pay all my bills and never carry a balance. One day maybe...
Meanwhile i use debit for everything and cash or checks when debit is not possible. I have never been able to pay my rent with a debit card.
I have USAA now and they are wonderful. But i used to have US bank debit card and one time when my card was
Stolen i was notified by the fraud department before i realized my card was gone. I was refunded the money
Instantly.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,835 times
if you pay your credit card bills off every month there is no reason to ever use a debit card

Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
I use a check card for everything. And my check card has better protection then my credit card - as it is through a credit union. I have very thorough informatin for each tansaction and balancing is easier (for me) then using a check book. Plus its a good stop point for not buying anything that I can't pay for cash up front.

Honestly I don't know why anyone would use a credit card unless they are extremely dedicated in paying off the balance each month.. Rewards.. who cares.. again - its all about dedication in paying something off and being disciplined enough to know what you truly can afford.

I look at these "rewards" like this... I have a rewards card that I use for online purchases - then pay off at the end of the month.. 1 point per dollar spent.. at 9.99% interest... really not worth it in my book. The fact I have NO fees on my check card, over draft protection, i get a human when I call, I never have to push x button for English and getting a loan in less then 1 minute is worth more to me then any rewards card.

Just me and my opinion though
Because I can end up with a few hundred extra dollars to splurge at the end of the year.

Interest rate? Doesn't matter, never paid a penny in interest.

Fees? Never paid one of them either.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:53 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Oy vey..... just got a call from my credit card -- fraud department just picked up two transactions that weren't ours.

Now I have to use our debit card for the next week till we get our new card....

and some online merchant in Ojia is out 285 bucks, unless they haven't sent the order....

Old 12-04-2012, 01:23 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Debit Cards DO NOT offer the same protections as Credit.....Debit Cards its Your Money as far as the bank is concerned...Credit Cards its Their Money until you pay the bill, so theirs more liability on part of the bank with a CC than a DC.
Actually, if you have the retailer run the debit card as a credit card - in other words, you sign for the purchase rather than entering your pin - you do have the same protection as a credit card. The difference is that with a debit card you are out the money until the dispute is resolved, where with the credit card you have the option of not paying the bill until it is resolved. You will be charged interest and late fees if it takes a couple of billing cycles to resolve the matter, though. Some will credit these, some won't.

If you choose the debit option when paying with your debit card you lose the MC/Visa protection in most cases. I always choose credit unless I need cash back.

When I worked in retail I would get amused at the people who, if their card wouldn't work under the debit function for some reason, absolutely refused to let it be run as a credit card. I don't know if they thought they would somehow get charged interest or what.

Having a good relationship with your bank is important. I've been with the same bank 45 years, and if I call them and tell them a transaction isn't right they always give me the benefit of the doubt and credit the charge until it can be worked out. Fortunately that doesn't happen often.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
You still don't get a much protection with Debit Card...either way the funds are coming out of your account...not the banks account as with a Credit Card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance