Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:10 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of people pay with check cards and I can't figure out why'd you want to do it unless you just weren't able to get a credit card.

Balance your checkbook with a bunch of little charges is a pain, the liability protection isn't nearly as good as a credit card and you can get rewards with the credit card.

Do people still balance their checkbooks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 07:20 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
I don't use a check card - a credit card is a lot easier and provides a more thorough record of transactions. I do balance my checkbook occasionally, but in a pretty general way, mainly to see if there are items that haven't been transacted yet. It's a ballpark balance figure I'm after.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,239 times
I use a check card for everything. And my check card has better protection then my credit card - as it is through a credit union. I have very thorough informatin for each tansaction and balancing is easier (for me) then using a check book. Plus its a good stop point for not buying anything that I can't pay for cash up front.

Honestly I don't know why anyone would use a credit card unless they are extremely dedicated in paying off the balance each month.. Rewards.. who cares.. again - its all about dedication in paying something off and being disciplined enough to know what you truly can afford.

I look at these "rewards" like this... I have a rewards card that I use for online purchases - then pay off at the end of the month.. 1 point per dollar spent.. at 9.99% interest... really not worth it in my book. The fact I have NO fees on my check card, over draft protection, i get a human when I call, I never have to push x button for English and getting a loan in less then 1 minute is worth more to me then any rewards card.

Just me and my opinion though

Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
No interest on a debit card, and I hate having to write a check, especially when many stores take the $ electronically and hand the check back anyway. No need to "balance" a checking account any more, just go online to check the balance any time you want, even from the cell phone.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:59 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
I use a check card for everything. And my check card has better protection then my credit card - as it is through a credit union. I have very thorough informatin for each tansaction and balancing is easier (for me) then using a check book. Plus its a good stop point for not buying anything that I can't pay for cash up front.

Honestly I don't know why anyone would use a credit card unless they are extremely dedicated in paying off the balance each month.. Rewards.. who cares.. again - its all about dedication in paying something off and being disciplined enough to know what you truly can afford.

I look at these "rewards" like this... I have a rewards card that I use for online purchases - then pay off at the end of the month.. 1 point per dollar spent.. at 9.99% interest... really not worth it in my book. The fact I have NO fees on my check card, over draft protection, i get a human when I call, I never have to push x button for English and getting a loan in less then 1 minute is worth more to me then any rewards card.

Just me and my opinion though
Better protection than a credit card? I have my doubts.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:33 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Use cash or a debit card for everything. Yes, I have a credit card, and of course I reconcile my checking account. Not at all impressed with "rewards" and have been very successful in managing my money, thankyouverymuch.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
Who cares? Well I do, 1~3% back is huge over time.

I'm not sure why you are talking about interest rates and "getting a loan within a minute".

Who provides a check-card with better fraud protection than a good credit card?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
No interest on a debit card, and I hate having to write a check, especially when many stores take the $ electronically and hand the check back anyway. No need to "balance" a checking account any more, just go online to check the balance any time you want, even from the cell phone.
I'm not sure I understand this, how does online banking remove the need to balance your check-book? Checks can take weeks to clear and even online-payments can take 2-4 days.

There is no interest on a credit card if you pay it off as well.

So you forgo 1~1.5% or so on your transactions so you don't have to write a check or make an online payment?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:53 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Not sure why you're so concerned about the way others manage their money. You've found a system that works for you. That's great. Why do you think the rest of us need to follow suit?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I see a lot of people pay with check cards and I can't figure out why'd you want to do it unless you just weren't able to get a credit card.

Balance your checkbook with a bunch of little charges is a pain, the liability protection isn't nearly as good as a credit card and you can get rewards with the credit card.

Do people still balance their checkbooks?
Curious on your thoughts about people that pay with cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance