Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:24 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,341,735 times

Advertisements

Credit cards aren't evil. Humans who abuse credit cards are another thing.

Credit cards can protect you if your wallet is stolen- credit cards will refund your account if $1,000 is fraudulently charged. If you have $1,000 cash in your wallet, you're SOL.

Credit cards allow you to book travel. How are you going to book airplane tickets, hotels/motels, rental cards, etc when you travel? What if the girlfriend doesn't have enough available credit or doesn't want you charging on her cards all the time?

Credit cards allow you to finance emergency purchases (say, $3,000 of dental work or $2,000 to repair your car or $1,500 for a new fridge) if you don't have thar money in your savings account. Not ideal, but better than having no car/ no food/ rotting teeth until you save up the cash.

Credit cards aid in showing prospective landlords, employers, etc that you are a responsible human being that isn't a risk for a rental or a jon opportunity.

Living on cash 95% of the time is a GREAT idea. But there are some situations where using credit is prefered and for that reason, you should really re-think keeping 1 card open for true emergencies and travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 12:52 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

Credit cards can protect you if your wallet is stolen- credit cards will refund your account if $1,000 is fraudulently charged. If you have $1,000 cash in your wallet, you're SOL.

Credit cards allow you to book travel. How are you going to book airplane tickets, hotels/motels, rental cards, etc when you travel? What if the girlfriend doesn't have enough available credit or doesn't want you charging on her cards all the time?

Credit cards allow you to finance emergency purchases (say, $3,000 of dental work or $2,000 to repair your car or $1,500 for a new fridge) if you don't have thar money in your savings account. Not ideal, but better than having no car/ no food/ rotting teeth until you save up the cash.

Credit cards aid in showing prospective landlords, employers, etc that you are a responsible human being that isn't a risk for a rental or a jon opportunity.

Living on cash 95% of the time is a GREAT idea. But there are some situations where using credit is prefered and for that reason, you should really re-think keeping 1 card open for true emergencies and travel.
If you have the ability to repay that borrowed money (Credit card) then you have the ability to SAVE up the money ahead of the need.

Once AGAIN... rendering Credit Cards pointless. (Except for those making money off of you)

Cash and the demonstrated LACK of a need of credit also work fine for Landlords and work.

I've taken several month-6 week vacations and never needed a credit card.

I use a debit card for online and booking however.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:55 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,025,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
There is no need for credit for a house or car...
For a car, maybe not, but for a house it depends on where you live. Median home prices are around $800K here (SF Bay Area), and I don't know many people - even millionaires - who can pay cash for that! As for myself, I have no interest in owning a home anytime soon. I do have & need a car, but it was paid off last year... and being a Honda, I expect it'll last for many more years. If I buy another car in the near future, I do plan to go used and pay cash.

Btw, I only have one credit card for emergencies, and it has a low limit of $300. I've learned my lesson with high-limit cards, and actually still paying for a few of those mistakes. Never again! As for debit cards, I don't see the point in tearing those up, since you can't spend money you don't HAVE. Not to mention, how do you withdraw money from your account? So I do keep debit cards from my checking accounts, and use them more than cash on a daily basis. I live in a big city, and it's just safer & easier that way.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-15-2011 at 03:09 AM..

Old 05-15-2011, 03:49 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,800,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

It won't let me rep you, but nobody could have said it better than you just did! Kudos!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
For a car, maybe not, but for a house it depends on where you live. Median home prices are around $800K here (SF Bay Area), and I don't know many people - even millionaires - who can pay cash for that! As for myself, I have no interest in owning a home anytime soon. I do have & need a car, but it was paid off last year... and being a Honda, I expect it'll last for many more years. If I buy another car in the near future, I do plan to go used and pay cash.

Btw, I only have one credit card for emergencies, and it has a low limit of $300. I've learned my lesson with high-limit cards, and actually still paying for a few of those mistakes. Never again! As for debit cards, I don't see the point in tearing those up, since you can't spend money you don't HAVE. Not to mention, how do you withdraw money from your account? So I do keep debit cards from my checking accounts, and use them more than cash on a daily basis. I live in a big city, and it's just safer & easier that way.

Went out there a couple years ago for a buddies wedding.

I was SHOCKED at what a half-million $ house was (I've lived in Bigger Appartments)
I don't know WHY you would BUY such an overpriced atrocity!

As for Emergencies... Are youy telling me that a $300 limit Credit card will cover an actual emergency?

We must think of emergencies differently, that won't cover more than a couple nights and meals while you DEAL with the emergency (Like your car imploding on a trip etc.)

I keep $5K for what you keep $300 for...

Cash is king.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:21 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,713,262 times
Quote:
If you have the ability to repay that borrowed money (Credit card) then you have the ability to SAVE up the money ahead of the need.
And has been stated many times, there are many of us who have the cash to pay for what we buy and never carry a CC balance. That piece of plastic is just a tool used to pay for goods and services; it does not mean that we do not have the money in the first place.

Quote:
Once AGAIN... rendering Credit Cards pointless.
Its a lot more convenient to simply buy what I need as a I go and, once a month, pay for every purchase with a single bank transfer. I don't want to worry about having cash on hand, or tracking every single debit card purchase; in the latter case, I have better things to dow ith my time.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:06 PM

296 posts, read 614,985 times
Nice to see some objective commentary in the favor of credit cards.

You can't argue with some points re: efficiency and convenience and consolidation of your purchases.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
Nice to see some objective commentary in the favor of credit cards.

You can't argue with some points re: efficiency and convenience and consolidation of your purchases.
Yes, because spending 2 minutes running down the column of debit card uses is SOOO much less convienant than getting another bill, making sure it is paid, or checking the SAME transactions online on a different (credit card) account!

(PLEASE note the scarcasm!)

Old 05-20-2011, 05:45 PM

296 posts, read 614,985 times
Well, to be honest it's a discipline issue. I use cash because it's easier to limit myself. If I only have 5 bucks on me, then I will buy less than 5 bucks of groceries for dinner (and maybe breakfast too) and guess what, it's doable. If I have 10 bucks, or a credit card, then I'll likely spend more. When the utility of feeding myself can be satisfactorily accomplished with less money. It's not every day that I need to eat especially well, some days a cheap can of tuna is perfectly fine for dinner.

I think the solution for me with a credit card, if I used one, would be to leave it at home and only take it out on designated shopping trips, in which the aforementioned aspects of all the bills in one place could be convenient. But it's all the little purchases that can really add up if I'm not careful and that's why it's better to carry a limited amount of cash.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,517,402 times
Why is it that the same people who are pro-credit card and talk about how responsible they are are the same ones who say you need one for an "emergency". It seems to me that having an emergency fund of 6 months expenses is far more fiscally responsible. Once you have that, you'll never need a credit card again for anything. A debit card serves exactly the same function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance