Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 01:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 16,272,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
OK Right, of course. I thought this was a discussion forum where constructive ideas are presented. Sounds like you're looking more for a pity party. Forget about insurance or the idea of living credit-free. You better stick with credit cards. Good luck digging yourself out of a poor man's grave.
was that aimed at me?

cuz I wasn't the one who started this post. and I was just responding to the insurance thing. or do you feel that the only constructive ideas are ones that you agree with?

I really wasn't trying to offend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 02:04 PM

296 posts, read 614,785 times
I'm sorry, didn't mean to deeply offend, though perhaps to provoke. Sounded like you had an excuse lined up to defend your apparent dependence on credit cards.

Regarding living in an expensive area... I know... But maybe it's worth considering living in a more affordable place, rather than using credit cards to live beyond your means.

I live in a very cheap city now. There's no way I could live in a more expensive place like London without a lot more money. I wouldn't consider living there on credit. In the US I've lived in expensive places and made pretty good money. Other times I lived in cheap places, as a student, and did just fine on 12K per year. In more cases than not the cheaper lifestyle had a superior quality than the more expensive one. My objective moving forward is to keep my overhead low while earning more than 12K It's crazy when you start thinking about all the crap a lot of people spend their hard-earned money on.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do. Rather, my idea is that credit cards are a part of a paradigm that we are all sold on, that has a lot do with valuing ourselves and our lives based on criteria that can be measured with money.

Seems to me like both the freest people who live out in the boonies and don't give a hoot, as well as a lot of quite wealthy people who are really beyond the need for credit cards, share a common paradigm that is not based on the materialist perspective.

Anyway just something to ponder while you eye the pair of scissors

Old 05-03-2011, 02:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 16,272,886 times
preaching to the choir here. I have one credit card & pay it off when the bill comes, which isn't every month. Actually although I say 'for emergencies' I actually use it more for internet shopping. I live outside a small town-hate to shop; and not too crazy about driving anymore either.

House is paid for. car is paid for. even have a full gas tank!

and the gas is paid for!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Sweet! Go tell it on the mountain!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:10 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,742,859 times
I think credit cards are great. I took out one called Care Credit for medical bills and as long as I pay it in full within 6 months there's no interest! I have one more payment to go. I had a medical emergency that I could not have foreseen and this sure came in handy.

I also have a debit card and 2 other credit cards. I'm low income but I always pay the cards off in time so I don't get stuck with paying interest.

I use credit cards to reserve a motel room and sometimes for gas.

Other than that I rarely use credit cards. I do use my debit card a lot because I don't like carrying cash. Cash can get lost and for me, cash is too easy to spend. For me, if I have to dig out a credit card, it makes me think twice about buying something I don't even need.

I'd like to know more about which cards offer air fare points. I used to have a Citi bank thank you card but they canceled it in late 2008 because they said they weren't going to offer it anymore. I was able to redeem my points as cash back at least. What are some good cards to get airline points? I had that Citi bank thank you card for years but never racked up enough points to even come CLOSE to getting on a plane.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:14 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,742,859 times
Another thought--if you tear up all your credit cards, someday you will probably want a credit card again. Every time you apply for a new card, it lowers your credit score!

Like it or not, in this country we are judged a lot by our credit score and also things DO change and you may want a card again. If you have loads of money in the bank you can just use your debit card but someday there may come a time when your bank account is down and you have an emergency. That's what credit cards are for--emergencies.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:51 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,292,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Yea I forgot about those 2 things. Its ashame u can't rent a car with cash, well actually u can from private rentals, I'm sure. And as far as hotels, I normally do motels and walk in if anything. I can use my g/fs card for that stuff. Since I'm the one who buys everything I think it works good if she has her card and I have the cash.
Am I only one here thinking that poor girlfriend? She's gonna get stuck with everything....

Old 05-05-2011, 02:15 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,405,952 times
A credit score is only a function of your ability to handle debt. If you don't use debt, you don't need a credit score.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:18 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,504,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
A credit score is only a function of your ability to handle debt. If you don't use debt, you don't need a credit score.
That used to be true, yes.

Today however, credit scores are used as a means of measuring overall responsibility. Insurance companies use your credit score to determine your rates, many employers look at credit reports before deciding who to hire. So not having a good score can hurt in other ways too.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:32 PM

I don't believe that for a second. If someone wants to use such criteria to decide whether or not to hire me, they can keep their stinking job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance