Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:56 PM

77 posts, read 697,635 times

Advertisements

A cup of regular drip coffee at Caribou is about $1.80. I'm a college student and my roommates don't drink coffee so we didn't get a coffee maker for the apartment. I would go to Caribou maybe a few times a week, spending maybe $4 to $5. I try to stick to the drip stuff because it's cheaper and is real coffee rather than paying upwards of $4 a cup for froth, whipped cream and ice... though sometimes it does happen (rarely though). Now that it's summer though, I usually get coffee at work for free (Chick-fil-A) unless I happen to be meeting a friend for coffee, but since most of my high school friends decided to go to school away from home, that doesn't happen as often as I would like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,972,160 times
Seeing the coffee price was going up, I started looking for coffee at discount stores...and was surprised!

At Big Lots, have purchased Melitta brand/can for $3.50/12oz.(very good)...also Maxwell House. At Family Dollar, Maxwell House for $4 when next door at market same can is $5.75. Target has their Archer brand of imported coffees (Kona, favorite ) at a reduced rate...$6-7/12oz. and it is delicious. Other brand-name specialty ones are reduced here too.

I avoid buying single cups of specialty coffee when out and about, due to expense...but I have really good coffee at home.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:24 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,862,476 times
There's always a good local coffee on sale at the super market for 6-7 bucks for a 1 lb bag. 1 lb will last me 2-3 weeks (I drink one 16 oz travel mug most every day).

I go through about one six-pack of beer a week and I usually buy whatever microbrew/craft beer is on sale for less than 7 bucks. There's always at least one on sale. I don't buy hard alcohol since they aren't available at the grocery store and the liquor stores here (Seattle) are terrible. I only really buy wine when I'm cooking with it or eating a lot of Italian food that week.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:53 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,096,001 times
Coffeee made at home is really a very small faction of my food budget.Tea is about as high really for our ice tea.Soft drinks we hardly ever drink .We spend more on fresh orange juice than both tho.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,466,486 times
i buy dunkin donuts whole beans when they are on sale (usually around $6/lb or $5/lb depending on the promo). then i grind it and brew it at home. i have a vacuum sealed thermos that keeps the beverage hot for at least 8 hours. i want to get a bigger cup though, as i enjoy a bit more coffee than it holds. then i can switch to 100% brew at home instead of my occasional stops at dunkin on the way.

alcohol i budget $100/month mostly because i used to live in Hoboken, but i spend less now that i live in the burbs. $100 in bar spending in the nyc metro area is not a lot though.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,304,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Man how do you live simply in a 4600 sq ft house!!!! we live simply in a 650 sq ft condo!!!
We have 7 kids, only 2 left at home but we both work from home in separate offices. Few vacations-everything we like to do is pretty much home based. We are tired of traveling as DH travels a great deal for work.
No entertaining except family, no drinking. Good home grown food with about once every 2 weeks going out to dinner.

We are very much home bodies and decided to make our home our primary expenditure. When the last 2 are gone I'm sure we will downsize.

Thanks to everybody who answered about the coffee. Something about coffee makes me sick. I get nauseated going down the coffee aisle in the grocery store if anybody is grinding beans.
Coffee sends me to the toilet immediately. I wouldn't even eat coffee cake until I was in my 30's cause I thought it had coffee in it.

DH says he used to drink coffee as a young man but realized what caffeine was doing to him and stopped. We drink decaf tea now. I wonder how some folks can drink coffee all day and still function. I would jump out the window with that much caffeine in me.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,870,817 times
my mother in law spent the night recently so i could drive her in the airport in the morning. so she was present while i was eating my breakfast and not drinking coffee. she asked if i drink coffee and went on about how she needed coffee every morning. i find people who claim to need coffee every morning and then have a fit when they dont have it extremely annoying. its just dirty water. i dont need it and i dont care if you didnt have it and i dont sympathize at all with the need to have coffee in the morning.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:57 AM

15,649 posts, read 26,359,621 times
Best for us -- 6.99 a nearly 3 pound can of Yuban Columbian, when it's on sale. I stock up then. A can lasts about a month. We prefer plain old coffee -- nothing fancy, nothing french roasted. With milk. Not cream -- makes it taste heavy.

As far as Starbucks -- hubs gets gift cards at Christmas every once in a while and he'll use them to get coffee there -- plain coffee. But he really isn't a fan. And I buy a fancy cup every three or four months, as a treat.

As for alcohol -- maybe a six pack a month. I was taking medication for a while that didn't allow me to drink alcohol, and now when I try to drink a whole beer it throws me for a loop. So I take a juice glass size from him to sip on, as I like the taste.

I cook with tequela and bourbon -- other than that, eww.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:16 PM

77 posts, read 697,635 times
I think people biologically react differently to caffeine. I drink coffee because I like the taste, and not for any other benefit. Caffeine has no effect on me; being a college student, sometimes I wish it did. In fact it works opposite, in that I drink coffee to relax and prefer it in the evenings rather than mornings. I only switched to AM coffee after living with roommates who would always have some brewed in the morning and I just got used to it. There are some people I know who drink a little coffee and are bouncing off the walls. I usually don't drink enough to overdo it, and when I do, I don't get hyper, I just get a stomachache... but in order for that to happen, I have to drink a lot! So I think it just depends on what your body can handle. Coffee is going to invariably affect people in different ways.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,244,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my mother in law spent the night recently so i could drive her in the airport in the morning. so she was present while i was eating my breakfast and not drinking coffee. she asked if i drink coffee and went on about how she needed coffee every morning. i find people who claim to need coffee every morning and then have a fit when they dont have it extremely annoying. its just dirty water. i dont need it and i dont care if you didnt have it and i dont sympathize at all with the need to have coffee in the morning.
I don't drink coffee regularly (less than once a month, if that), but calling it dirty water is way off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance