Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times

Advertisements

I've never really bothered to calculate what I spend on coffee and alcohol. Except for special situations I don't drink coffee out, just brewed at home or work. I maybe spend around $20/month on it. Alcohol.....I'm not even sure. I'll usually buy 10~15 bottles of wine at a time when some store is having a good sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 02:01 PM

106,704 posts, read 108,880,922 times
we love the k-kup system. it runs about a dollar a day for 2 of us....
yes its more than when we were paying buying it by the pound but the coffee tastes so much better from the keurig than we got from all the coffee makers we owned through the decades..

i hate the taste of alcohol so we spend next to nothing on wine and beer. our bill for drug use is quite high though ha ha ha ha

Old 05-16-2011, 10:57 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
I find it interesting that the low percentage of people here who say they actually buy coffee at Starbucks daily is so inconsistant with the lines of cars I see at Starbucks and Moxie Java, etc every day.

I also never drink coffee or alcohol, and saving money is one of the reasons, even if it isn't the biggest reason.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:17 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I find it interesting that the low percentage of people here who say they actually buy coffee at Starbucks daily is so inconsistant with the lines of cars I see at Starbucks and Moxie Java, etc every day.

I also never drink coffee or alcohol, and saving money is one of the reasons, even if it isn't the biggest reason.
Makes perfect sense. People that are frugal with money wouldn't go to Starbucks daily. Or if they did -- they would find ways to make it fit, as in discount cards, or points or making people give them gift cards to it.

We're not the target market.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:10 PM

A line at Starbucks doesn't tell you much about how often people are going....

Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Makes perfect sense. People that are frugal with money wouldn't go to Starbucks daily. Or if they did -- they would find ways to make it fit, as in discount cards, or points or making people give them gift cards to it.

We're not the target market.
yeah...certainly not the crowd that would be frequenting starbucks....but, if people did, i'd imagine they'd take every method they could to get it cheaper (they do have rewards programs, points, coupons, etc).

i just find their coffee disgusting, let alone overpriced. lol

Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,159,353 times
I have no idea, actually. I only drink coffee when I'm getting it for free at work or in a hotel, and I get decaf. Otherwise I'll drink juice or water.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
and i dared to question your intelligence. thank you so much for this pearl of wisdom.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:17 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You are correct, remove the word "daily" from my previous post, and I stand by it though. If a Starbucks location sells 500 cups of something per day, every day for a month, it doesn't really matter whether it was to the same 500 people 30 times or to 15k different people, it was still 15k cups. But if you went only by the posts here, Starbucks should be out of business because everyone only drinks coffee at home.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
But if you went only by the posts here, Starbucks should be out of business because everyone only drinks coffee at home.
I'm not sure I follow, only a handful of people have posted here and some of them have stated that they buy coffee out often and others that they buy it here and there.

I usually drink coffee in the morning before I even really get out of bed so getting it at Starbucks isn't even an option. I will buy it out here and there, let's say 1-2 times a month (not necessarily at Starbucks though). But if you have a community with say 20,000 adults and they each drink it 1-2 times a month that is on average 600~1,200 coffees a day, enough to keep a few coffee places in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance