Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 AM

7 posts, read 114,339 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I have another post out there with a mortgage question but I didn't want to hijack my own post. My question here (mind you I'm VERY new to home-owning), is how much can I expect to have loaned from the bank for buying a house?

I know that there's a lot of factors that play into figuring this out, but I'm trying to gauge out the the price range that my job/lifestyle can afford so I can start looking at houses.

I'm 22, have an annual salary of 44k, credit score of 731 and live in Amherst, Massachusetts.

Houses in this area range from 200k - 800k. Can I live here in the near future? What should I be doing to prepare for buying a house?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,967,896 times
Well, there are a lot of factors and you can always go in and get pre-qualified - that way you know what you have to work with.

It's been over 12 years since we last bought our house, so I imagine things are way, way different now! But at the time, we were qualified for way more than I ever would have been comfortable with. Not wanting to be house poor, we bought well below what they would have loaned us.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 AM

98 posts, read 239,522 times
Here are rule of thumbs I've heard when it comes to how much mortgage loan to borrow so you won't be house poor:

1. mortgage to be 2-3 times of income
2. monthly PITI to be 25% of NET income, but can be up to 35% if no other debt

The bank will probably lend you more than any of the above.

My advice, save as much as you can for downpayment to meet any of the above rule of thumb.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,782,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmoore View Post
Hey Everyone,

I have another post out there with a mortgage question but I didn't want to hijack my own post. My question here (mind you I'm VERY new to home-owning), is how much can I expect to have loaned from the bank for buying a house?

I know that there's a lot of factors that play into figuring this out, but I'm trying to gauge out the the price range that my job/lifestyle can afford so I can start looking at houses.

I'm 22, have an annual salary of 44k, credit score of 731 and live in Amherst, Massachusetts.

Houses in this area range from 200k - 800k. Can I live here in the near future? What should I be doing to prepare for buying a house?

Thanks!
you could probably get a loan for about $200k, assuming you have no debt.

i wouldn't borrow $200k on $44k/year, personally. i wouldn't even borrow $150k on that.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,953,730 times
At most, you can probably only borrow 3 times your annual salary - so $132k. Add to that your downpayment, closing costs, etc.

A mortgage, with PITI, for $135k will cost you around $1100/month with a 5% interest rate. Can you handle that, your other expenses, utilities, emergency fund, savings, car expenses, etc? At 44k, your take home can't be more than what?... $1500 biweekly or so? That's more than 36% of your income right there, just for your monthly mortgage payment - and homes in your area start at $200k - so unless you've got $70k for a downpayment (more than 50% of the amount you'd be borrowing), it's unlikely you will be buying right now anyway.

Get a notebook. Spend the next 30 days writing everything down - every penny you spend and on what. If you do laundry at a laundromat, add that in.

After you've kept track of what you actually spend, sit down and think of AFTER you purchase. If you do laundry at your parents, realize they (and you) might not be as comfortable with that after you're a home owner. You'll need to buy your own machines (and the soaps, etc). Do you handle your own yardwork now? If you buy a SFH, you'll either have to do it yourself (and purchase a mower, a weedwhacker, gas for those, etc) or pay someone else to do it. What would you do if the water heater breaks?

It's a lot to think about. When my SIL was 16 and wanted to move out on her own, I suggested she do something similar - only I advised HER to write down everything she used in her mom's house. After 3 days, she called crying, sure she could never move out on her own. She certainly couldn't do it and maintain her then-current standard of living. As I told her, you need to be realistic about what you're willing to give and take. No one (except those with over indulgent parents, or broke ones) start out with the same standard of living their parents currently enjoy. Some things happen over time.

Be patient. You have the rest of your life in front of you. It's good though that you're thinking about these things now and getting a handle on what you'll need for the future. Good luck to you.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
At most, you can probably only borrow 3 times your annual salary - so $132k.
that isn't true. you can borrow much more than 3 times your annual salary.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,953,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
that isn't true. you can borrow much more than 3 times your annual salary.
Even if you tell the truth about what it is? And don't have an equivalent amount sitting in a trust fund somewhere?

Isn't that what got so many in trouble just a few years ago and crying that the 'big, greedy bankers' got them in over their heads?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 AM

7 posts, read 114,339 times
Quote:
Be patient. You have the rest of your life in front of you. It's good though that you're thinking about these things now and getting a handle on what you'll need for the future. Good luck to you.
Thanks for all the information and encouragement sskkc. I really appreciate it! I'm glad someone could give some perspective-- I guess it's not necessarily a race.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Even if you tell the truth about what it is? And don't have an equivalent amount sitting in a trust fund somewhere?
tell the truth about what?

i'm talking zero assets, zero debt, and $44k annual salary. Banks will loan you $200k, 100% LTV on a USDA loan, and i think it is 95% LTV on FHA loans, so you might have to save 5%.

Quote:
Isn't that what got so many in trouble just a few years ago and crying that the 'big, greedy bankers' got them in over their heads?
that has nothing to do with whether or not it is possible.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,525,005 times
Lenders generally don't want your mortgage payment (including things like HOA fees) to be more than 28% of your gross monthly income. So on $44k a year, that gives you a rough number of $1,026 to play with.

Of course other factors (good credit score, other debt, etc...) can affect this, but that should give you a general idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance