Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Tax payers paid for half of my cars. Thanks for your generous contributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:34 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
This weekend I was driving around my city and just noticed how many expensive cars there were around. For example, this one lady was driving an Infinite QX56 which tops off around $80K. Basically, all these people in my city also own houses.

Even at my work, most people start with at least "low end" car around $35K and many get $60K+ cars. I think I am one of few guys my age at my work who doesn't have BMW or a fancy car to show off. I still driving my almost 5 year old Hyundai still. Don't think I would get a car over $50K+ unless I was a millionaire with extra cash lying around.

I know most people at work or at my city don't earn that much more than me. But how could they afford these expensive cars? I really wonder what their budget looks like since most have houses or luxury apartments too!
You're about 26 right? The average income in Murphy is about $108K a year. Now that could be double income families. There are also a large number of executives and business owners living here. But they are also going to all be people older than you. There's just not a ton of mid-20's folks living in Murphy - definitely a family oriented city.

On my street there are two guys who love to buy higher end vehicles at auction. And there are lots of people I know who buy those $50K cars used. And tons of leases. Even the anesthesiologist who lives in my neighborhood and has about 6 AMGs is only leasing them all.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:07 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
And I, for one, think that's cool. I drive a twelve-year-old car and refuse to air condition my home, but I spend a truly ridiculous amount of money on gourmet groceries, fine dining, and expensive wine. We all have our indulgences.

For some people it's as simple as that. I'm not into luxury cars and I probably wouldn't buy one but I dont assume that people who drive them are just trying to keep up with the Joneses. Some people have an above average income.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
an employee was telling me her "husband" bought a 2005 bmw m5 (probably a couple years used). the guy was a parking attendant at the time. its amazing how dumb some people are financially.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:18 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
What about a "luxury" $50K car that can be partially financed at .99%-1.99% (common now)? Maybe someone could pay cash, but it is not to their financial advantage to do so. Maybe low financing can be used to free up cash so it may be invested in other areas for a higher return?

p.s. Also want to add that most luxury cars keep their resale value better than other types of cars, which should also factor into the financial equation.
The point is that you COULD pay cash for it. How you decide to go about owning the car then becomes irrelevant. I could pay cash for my lease car (and I own my other two cars outright), but it makes more sense for me to keep my cash doing other things while taking advantage of great rates, etc.

People who have no hopes of ever owning a luxury car without jumping through strange financial hoops should probably just not do it. Just like I don't get why anyone would finance a tv (unless it was free interest)...it's a tv. It's not food, water, air, or shelter. Save up the dough and buy it when you can afford it.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Tax payers paid for half of my cars. Thanks for your generous contributions.
half? how does that work? you paid $15k for your nissan?

Old 09-14-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
half? how does that work? you paid $15k for your nissan?
I have 3 cars at the moment (and that's down from 5! lol). The Nissan is my train station car. The Benz is my fun car. The Taurus Wagon is my utility vehicle.

The Nissan and Benz were business purchases and both hybrids. Also the Nissan I used cash for clunkers. So I got tax deductions, hybrid credit, sales tax exemption, and cash for clunkers.

The taurus wagon I bought used for a few grand because the IRS likes you to own a personal vehicle if you have multiple business vehicles.

So yea, there's ways to get cheaper cars.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:52 PM

looks like those hybrid credits are no longer available. i get 24/25 mpg with my rav4, so ill probably drive until it becomes a problem for my wife.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
looks like those hybrid credits are no longer available. i get 24/25 mpg with my rav4, so ill probably drive until it becomes a problem for my wife.
If there is another stimulus, it is likely that there will be business vehicle purchase incentives. Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:02 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
People who drive $50K cars can't afford them. People who can afford $50K cars, drive $10K cars. That's how they are able to afford expensive cars, they don't blow it on stupid things like the latest, expensive cars..
The thrill of the fancy new car wears off far sooner than the payments end..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance