Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:23 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,591 times

Advertisements

This weekend I was driving around my city and just noticed how many expensive cars there were around. For example, this one lady was driving an Infinite QX56 which tops off around $80K. Basically, all these people in my city also own houses.

Even at my work, most people start with at least "low end" car around $35K and many get $60K+ cars. I think I am one of few guys my age at my work who doesn't have BMW or a fancy car to show off. I still driving my almost 5 year old Hyundai still. Don't think I would get a car over $50K+ unless I was a millionaire with extra cash lying around.

I know most people at work or at my city don't earn that much more than me. But how could they afford these expensive cars? I really wonder what their budget looks like since most have houses or luxury apartments too!

Last edited by unseengundam; 09-13-2011 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Dual earners. Man, if I was married, I'd have cable tv and a 32" or larger set. Maybe even an iPhone.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Beats the heck out of me. My spouse and I share a twelve-year-old Honda, and I have absolutely no desire to purchase a new vehicle.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 PM

380 posts, read 961,669 times
They lease, everyone in Miami has a nice car and the economy here does not support that.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I honestly wonder how so many people can afford cars around $50K+?
I really wonder what their budget looks like since most have houses or luxury apartments too!
Here are a couple of big hints:
They don't own them
They never will own them

Old 09-13-2011, 09:42 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
DINKs
or
lease
or
they really do have money.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
This weekend I was driving around my city and just noticed how many expensive cars there were around. For example, this one lady was driving an Infinite QX56 which tops off around $80K. Basically, all these people in my city also own houses.

Even at my work, most people start with at least "low end" car around $35K and many get $60K+ cars. I think I am one of few guys my age at my work who doesn't have BMW or a fancy car to show off. I still driving my almost 5 year old Hyundai still. Don't think I would get a car over $50K+ unless I was a millionaire with extra cash lying around.

I know most people at work or at my city don't earn that much more than me. But how could they afford these expensive cars? I really wonder what their budget looks like since most have houses or luxury apartments too!
I believe what you are seeing is part of the foolish debtor society we live in today. Even after the financial collapse in America some people will never get it.
You're right. Unless you have lots and lots of money you really have no business buying something for over $50k that depreciates in value. It's just foolish. It's one thing to spend $50K on an investment that will actually make money, but not a car.
I saw a beautiful black Lexus at an auto show a few months back for $60,000. I would LOVE to have that car. If I cashed in some of my bonds and commodities I have and financed the rest, I could actually buy it. Then what happens? In 5 years the car is worth a 1/3 what I paid for it and my financial health is greatly decreased. Yet some stupid people out there will actually do that "cuz they just gotta have that car".

Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 PM

243 posts, read 547,492 times
Bought used? Luxury cars depreciate rapidly, and you can get them at a low price from lease returns. Where are you getting $80K? I just specced a 2012 4WD Infiniti QX56 with Deluxe Touring Package, Tech Package, and Theater Package for $75K at their website. The one you saw could have been a stock model running around $58-60K.

A used 2008 QX56 with premium package and 66,000 miles can be had for $29K. 2006 model with 66,000 for $20K.

Note: Southern California prices, YMMV.

Japanese luxury cars will last a long time. My Lexus SC400 was a $50K car. I bought it six years ago for $6800 and it's now at 207K miles with no problems.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:56 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
and if they do own them its a waste of money! Wait a few years and see what that car is worth! Its all rust and metal. A complete waste of money. Lift weights it will do more for your attention getting, I am so tired of seeing fat slobs in fancy cars thinking they are hot! Look at me they think. Now lift weights, stay in great shape, drive an old gremlin and you will get noticed more!!

Old 09-14-2011, 03:04 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
and if they do own them its a waste of money! Wait a few years and see what that car is worth! Its all rust and metal. A complete waste of money. Lift weights it will do more for your attention getting, I am so tired of seeing fat slobs in fancy cars thinking they are hot! Look at me they think. Now lift weights, stay in great shape, drive an old gremlin and you will get noticed more!!
Yea I'd say most of these people driving fancy cars is all about ego. "Oh look at me, I drive a fancy car." When in reality no one could really care what car you drive. The age old saying is: "People spend their money on three things: inflation, taxation and buying crap to impress people who don't care about them."

Then again, at the end of the day spending all that money on crap you don't need in the first place creates alot of jobs and that's never a bad thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance