Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:47 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,361,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not fully aware of the calculation of child support but in this example i think its fair to use the $400 figure. i dont see why you would use the difference between a 1 br and a 2 br to find the marginal cost of the extra bedroom. i think you take the cost per person of the apartment. if the person took on a roommate instead of a child, they would probably charge half the rent, not the marginal increase between a 1br and 2br.
I would think too that other costs: security deposit, water, electricity, gas, heat and AC, etc. would be folded into the figure allocated for housing. I've never heard of CS being broken down like that. It's either income of both people or, depending on the state, just the income of the non-custodial parent. Maybe some states break down the costs like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 02:35 PM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There is also an issue of whether the formula and required payments are fair.

Let's say a parent has 1 child and rents a 2BR apartment. Let's say the 2BR costs $800/mo and a 1BR costs $600/mo.

For child support, the parent is credited with providing $400/mo housing support ($800 divided by 2) even though the marginal cost of the child's bedroom is only $200. This artificially inflates the payment required of the non-custodial parent.

So sometimes the system is rigged in ways that might not be fair.

That's not the formula used for how child support is determined.

The state has a basic number--for the sake of argument say it's $1000 a month--that it has been determined it costs to raise a child in NJ.

Parent A makes $30,000 a year. Parent B makes $20,000 a year. That totals up to $50,000. Parent A's share of the child support is therefore 60% and Parent B's is 40%. If Parent B is the non-custodial parent, he or she will therefore pay 40% of the cost of raising the child, or $400 per month. It's very simple.

This is overridden if the parents are wealthier and/or the type of people who have given their children more than the basics; i.e, private school, summer camp, lessons, etc. Then it gets a lot more complicated and involves pricey lawyers and you're in a whole new ballgame.

But the first scenario determines the child support for the average working couple who is divorcing. Percentages of income. A judge may also charge a non-custodial parent who isn't working, with paying SOMETHING up until he or she gets a job, at which time the amount would be adjusted. The point is that a parent is expected to provide support for a child because the STATE says he or she must do so.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,169,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, i probably shouldnt have said it but men not paying child support is something that really bothers me. now you have all these guys who lost their jobs or are having other issues and then they feel like they shouldnt still be obligated to pay the same level of support. so who is supposed to make up the difference for the child that you had?
child support is based on your income
if you make less money you should pay less
men absolutely should take care of their kids
i grew up with a ****ty mom and great dad so i never got men who dodged their responsibilities

by the same token these women who get hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in "child support" are disgusting pigs

Old 04-21-2012, 02:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
child support is based on your income
if you make less money you should pay less
men absolutely should take care of their kids
i grew up with a ****ty mom and great dad so i never got men who dodged their responsibilities

by the same token these women who get hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in "child support" are disgusting pigs
good, now we have the opinion of a 10 year old.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:36 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,169,670 times
lol whats wrong with saying men should take care of their children and its a complete joke that some women get hundreds of thousands of dollars a month in child support?

if you're gonna disagree with me that's fine- at least state your view points

Old 04-21-2012, 03:43 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,400 times
OP knew that there were previous children involved, and that he was responsible support them, so, it is apparent that if he could not afford the previous children he certainly could not afford a new family...the old "He's been unemployed for 4 years" has been beaten to death...finding a job is a full time job...if he hasn't found a job in all this time, there is something wrong.

I have no sympathy for anyone except the children...

Old 04-21-2012, 08:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
lol whats wrong with saying men should take care of their children and its a complete joke that some women get hundreds of thousands of dollars a month in child support?

if you're gonna disagree with me that's fine- at least state your view points
try stating your viewpoint without profanity and without random anger at some group of people that isnt being discussed. who is talking about women who get thousand of dollars a month in child support? thats not relevant to the discussion and i dont think you even know what you are talking about.

i understand if income goes down that money you spend on a child will go down. but what are these people looking to pay per month? without all the facts, we can only make general statements. generally, the child was made by both mother and father and the father has to obligation to pay at least half the cost of bringing up the child. the idea of getting into arrears because you hit hard times doesnt sound good to me. the child should be the last one to suffer the financial hit for the failure of the father.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,918,782 times
AWWC,
They DO NOT bank levy for child support.
No, no, no.
You get a summons for court when you don't pay the required amount that is
determined by a magistrate or judge.
They take your IRS REFUND, or your husbands portion.
You stated he is self employed, right?
Well, I have a feeling he isn't paying the taxes to the IRS in regards
to his business as he should be paying.
Now, the IRS will definately levy a bank account.
He may not be telling you everything. I don't think this is
child support at all.
IF you file joint, call the IRS and ask for the status of your tax accounts
for the past 4 years.
Don't panic if you get bad news.
Just discuss this with your husband and see what you can do to get caught up on
a payment plan.
The IRS will levy your bank, business, they will take your assests,
this is not something to mess around with.
Everything can be worked out if they hear from you.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:54 PM

283 posts, read 581,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
OP knew that there were previous children involved, and that he was responsible support them, so, it is apparent that if he could not afford the previous children he certainly could not afford a new family...the old "He's been unemployed for 4 years" has been beaten to death...finding a job is a full time job...if he hasn't found a job in all this time, there is something wrong.

I have no sympathy for anyone except the children...

Totally agree , how are the kids going to be ok? Sad

Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 PM

283 posts, read 581,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
AWWC,
They DO NOT bank levy for child support.
No, no, no.
You get a summons for court when you don't pay the required amount that is
determined by a magistrate or judge.
They take your IRS REFUND, or your husbands portion.
You stated he is self employed, right?
Well, I have a feeling he isn't paying the taxes to the IRS in regards
to his business as he should be paying.
Now, the IRS will definately levy a bank account.
He may not be telling you everything. I don't think this is
child support at all.
IF you file joint, call the IRS and ask for the status of your tax accounts
for the past 4 years.
Don't panic if you get bad news.
Just discuss this with your husband and see what you can do to get caught up on
a payment plan.
The IRS will levy your bank, business, they will take your assests,
this is not something to mess around with.
Everything can be worked out if they hear from you.

This is what I thought, sounds like IRS to me, not child support. Maybe OP doesn't know the whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance