Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:58 AM

77 posts, read 75,538 times

Advertisements

The question is about the continuing financial support of our daughter's college education after full 4 years. Here is the latest situation;
She is our only child. Now she finished her 4th year last month but can't graduate on time, since she did not take senior project. We all ( three parties ) agreed that all of parents support, i.e, education and living expense will end after 4 years in her college. We received a call from her yesterday, to earn her living expense, she said she find a summer job , and asked us to support her transportation means.
What advice will you offer to us? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:05 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,831,927 times
Did you pay for all her expenses up to this point and she would have graduated loan free? If so, I'd sit her down and explain that you are willing to extend her a LOAN for the additional costs to complete her education. I'd also present her with a payment plan that will go into effect once she graduates. Then I'd stick to it, adding interest only in any month where she fails to make a payment.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 PM

She had nominal loan about 8k, we paid almost everything else. She can hardly sit down with us to discuss anything, and so far I don't see any commitment/plan from her, just a vague promise that she will finish her degree next summer.
Thanks for your response btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Did you pay for all her expenses up to this point and she would have graduated loan free? If so, I'd sit her down and explain that you are willing to extend her a LOAN for the additional costs to complete her education. I'd also present her with a payment plan that will go into effect once she graduates. Then I'd stick to it, adding interest only in any month where she fails to make a payment.

Last edited by finewbie; 07-02-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM

491 posts, read 2,292,805 times
Was one of the three parties your daughter? What was the plan for this situation?

Any further help should be time-limited so she knows she is on the clock to graduate and take care of herself. If you have the means, and she is making every effort, then I would be inclined to help her out in this situation.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finewbie View Post
She had nominal loan about 8k, we paid almost everything else. She can hardly sit down with us to discuss anything, and so far I don't see any commitment/plan rom her, just a vague promise that she will finish her degree next summer.
We cross-posted. I would make her sit down and discuss her ongoing situation. She needs to make commitments to herself and to you if she expects further financial help from you.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 PM

Yes, me, wife and her.
We do have means, problem is we dont know if she made effort at all, she behaves like a black hole to us, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
Was one of the three parties your daughter? What was the plan for this situation?

Any further help should be time-limited so she knows she is on the clock to graduate and take care of herself. If you have the means, and she is making every effort, then I would be inclined to help her out in this situation.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, me, wife and her.
We do have means, problem is we dont know if she made effort at all, she behaves like a black hole to us, so to speak.
Well, that's an issue. Many young people don't graduate, but continue on with school with no targeted end - just dragging on and on. She needs to start being honest with you about what she is doing, and be appreciative of what you have already done. You will need to remind her of that.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:18 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,412,140 times
Quote:
We received a call from her yesterday, to earn her living expense, she said she find a summer job , and asked us to support her transportation means.
Underlining is mine.

Until she can prove to you she's willing to pay her own way at this point, give her a bicycle. Then tell her that if she mails you $xxx per month, on time every month for 3 months, you'll RENT her a car on a rent-to-own basis. The payments must continue or she's back to the bicycle.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Basically she means that we buy a car for her and pay insurance as well. She will pay gas and maintenance. If we said give her a bike, she will feel offended, really. We had said before if she gets on senior project and need arises, we will give her a car, but so far she just doesn't touch senior project issue at all and never explains to us why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Underlining is mine.

Until she can prove to you she's willing to pay her own way at this point, give her a bicycle. Then tell her that if she mails you $xxx per month, on time every month for 3 months, you'll RENT her a car on a rent-to-own basis. The payments must continue or she's back to the bicycle.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:49 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,412,140 times
In that case, she's offended you. Why should you concede to her? A little tough love...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance