Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:07 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,062,595 times

Advertisements

A question for some of your mortgage pros no here (maybe it's in your best interest to sell morts at a higher rate, but let's assume you're advising a family member): Based on QE3, where do you think rates on a 30 yr fixed will bottom out in the next 3-5 months? I'm trying to figure out when I should lock in a rate on a Feb closing timeframe.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,479,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
A question for some of your mortgage pros no here (maybe it's in your best interest to sell morts at a higher rate, but let's assume you're advising a family member): Based on QE3, where do you think rates on a 30 yr fixed will bottom out in the next 3-5 months? I'm trying to figure out when I should lock in a rate on a Feb closing timeframe.
Thanks!
If everything is well(credit, down payment) etc then you can wait until next year to lock-in.

US will be heading into recession early next year and its best to wait until then.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,349,148 times
Really? Considering that you're looking at interest rates as low as 2.8% right now, the potential savings by waiting a few extra months are trivial. Personally, I think you would be a complete knuckle-dragging idiot to wait and try and time this market. Who knows what kind of inflationary pressures could kick in between now and then?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,977,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
If everything is well(credit, down payment) etc then you can wait until next year to lock-in.

US will be heading into recession early next year and its best to wait until then.
haha.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 PM

23,691 posts, read 70,851,538 times
cpg is right. Lock now *BUT* READ the mortgage agreement you will be signing up for first and look for gotchas. Look for prepayment penalties, egregious default penalties, and so on. After the tightening up from the last debacle, I'd have to think long and hard before signing a mortgage.

One other thing - if the mortgage is signed, the mortgagee needs to keep EVERY SINGLE document of payment for the duration of the mortgage and until the release of mortgage is recorded at the courthouse.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:46 AM

107,472 posts, read 109,901,443 times
dont count on rates going lower if the fed tries to manipulate the mbs market. its not a given.

with qe2 investors spooked about it being inflationary and rates actually went up in the short term.

markets have a way of taking whatever looks like a given and changing the out come differently each time.

first iraq war markets tanked at the on set. 2nd war markets soared at the on set.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:23 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,223,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Thanks!
My guess is in the 0.25 to 0.5% lower than where they are now. There is absolutely no indication for them to go up. I am not talking about a day to day fluctuation, rather the trend. If this much difference makes sense to you, then take the risk. One year from now? That is a different question. Many would say take what you get it is historically low rate bla bla and they have been saying for what, two to three years?

I would say waiting for few month and perhaps increasing your down payment is a wise decison. But if you have the down payment, the credit, and the house you like, buy it. There is a lot of uncertainty to account for. Don't just look at a few percentage point interest rate change. If the house in the area goes up even a small percentage, all the saving you are trying to make will disapear. Get the bigger picture in your area!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:15 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,841,800 times
rates will stay home probably until 2014. But if the economy is doing better, ppl will move money from 10-year note to stock market will means the Mortgage rates will go a little higher.

now is good time to lock.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,788,655 times
we are about to lock a 30 year at 3.375% Our 100K mortgage payment is going to be less than 500/mo...Wow.

We are dropping from a 5.125% and I don't see a reason to wait anymore.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,763 times
As a mortgage professional who deals with rate fluctuations day-in, day-out, there is no way to "time" the market. Rates are so low now that it is silly to wait for a 1/8 pt. drop which may or may not come. Bird in hand as they say.

Last edited by SeaDeezKnots; 09-19-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance