Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 15,087 times

Advertisements

I was 3 months behind on a payment but I am now caught up....somewhere in between the police showed up at my door with an order, the creditor is taking me to court. What will happen in court if I am current?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:13 AM

673 posts, read 2,716,942 times
The creditor may well drop the civil action if you pay up. The creditor wants to get paid, not to get vengeance. The creditor will have to pay a lawyer to represent it (which costs money). If the creditor gets a judgement against you, collecting that judgement is a whole separate process (which costs money). The creditor doesn't know yet if you're solvent enough to collect the judgement or if you have assets against which to place a lien.

Yes, the creditor has paid to file the legal action (probably about $200 to file and serve). But the creditor may be willing to forgo those fees.

The best thing to do is to call it, explain why you were late, state that you will pay up immediately, ask for a payment plan going forward if you need it (and be prepared to negotiate payment on a part of the legal fees). That way, you'll come across as a human being with good intentions and you can be sure that the legal action has halted.

Last edited by aaauger; 01-30-2008 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-30-2008, 04:16 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
My guess is that the person you were 3 months behind with has passed on your debt to a collector. A person or company can invest in mortgages and debt by paying a percentage to the lender and then assuming collecting the rest. Or, after 3 months your debt was sent to a collection agency. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, and the collection agency hasn't updated their files. Check to see exactly who is taking you to court, the collection agency or the lender you paid off.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,942 times
You didn't mention the amount of the suit. If it's for the entire balance (as opposed to the past due part), then you still have a legal issue. Regardless, you need to contact the plaintiff on the complaint and settle this one way or another. You don't want to wind up in court or with a warrant for failure to appear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance