Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:39 PM

13 posts, read 47,540 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm looking to apply for a personal loan for about 14-15k. I am a full-time graduate student who's been working at the same job for two months but I didn't work at all through my bachelors degree. My credit is alright, 670-690 the last time I checked. I live at home with my mother (who doesn't have good credit) but who works full-time.

The reason for the loan is to help pay for jaw surgery, I already have 20k saved up which is the result of working all through out high school, saving all my birthday/Christmas money, student loan refunds, etc. I've known I've needed this surgery since I was a kid. I actually never planned on getting a loan since part of my surgery was covered by my mothers insurance but her company recently changed insurance companies and they don't cover orthognathic surgery at all.

So I need to come up with the money fairly quickly as I am scheduled for surgery around march. Do I have a good shot for being approved for a loan? I was thinking wells fargo or US bank since they both offer unsecured personal loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 03:07 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,918 times
Not likely. You're more likely to get a payment plan from the hospital/doctor. Especially with such a large "down payment".

Old 11-18-2012, 05:30 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,858 times
Does your school have a student credit union? Try them or any local credit union that has an effectively unlimited membership requirement.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:16 PM

Unfortunately there isn't any kind of payment plan with this doctor and hospital. He's one of the best in the country and isn't contracted with any health insurance so his fees are extremely high. All of it has to be up front. I'll check out the credit unions in my area.

You guys think a loan of 5-10k would be out of the question too?

Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
So this is a doctor, yet does not accept insurance? Or does insurance not accept the doctor?

Old 11-18-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So this is a doctor, yet does not accept insurance? Or does insurance not accept the doctor?
No he's not contracted with any insurance. Their office will try to authorize the surgery with whatever insurance you have and if successful you'll get out of network coverage. The hospital is covered by bc/bs of california but I'm out of state and under a different insurance.

If I can't get a loan anywhere I'll have to delay the surgery and keep saving up until I have at least 10k. It's just frustrating when I've been waiting and saving for so long and this wall is placed in my way.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
I would consider a credit union for this type of loan and having your mother as a co-signer if possible to give you a boost in the income dept. If you do have the 20k cash already, some banks may offer secured loans if you do not need to touch that money for awhile.

Source: a credit union service banker.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:16 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,858 times
AlLso ask around the banks near your school. Even if they aren't credit unions, the people there are used to stories befitting students.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,016 times
It's benefit enrollment time for most companies. Does your employer have health insurance? I would sign up for health insurance through them and try to get it approved. I had jaw surgery, a few years ago. It was completely covered. I don't remember the insurance company, though.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:06 PM

I just found out the hospital is in-network so it looks like I won't need much more cash after all. Maybe a small loan for 2-3k will be needed. I'm going to submit a claim to cover surgery costs to my insurance anyway, who knows they may accept.

Thanks for the help/suggestions guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance