Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
i think it goes like this.
-they have nice teeth. poor's can't afford dentist.
- they drive a Mercedes-Benz.
- they have nice clothes such as Gucci and Ralph Lauren etc.

Anything else im missing?
They're not fat. (An exaggeration, I know, but not by too much).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
That's a simple answer I guess but I think it's more difficult than that for the average person. I'd say expensive watch, expensive shoes, quality clothes, lots of travel, fancy car, recreational vehicle like a motorcycle, has an expensive hobby (mountain climbing, sky diving, wine collecting, etc.), second home of any kind, are just a few things where you can tell people are rich. It's never just one thing...for me it's a combination of many factors of people being put together.
A lot of rich people don't have or do much of this stuff. Just about all of the stuff you have listed here works against being rich in a major way. Yes, there is a small slice of the rich who can afford to do this stuff and still be rich...but they are the exception that proves the rule.

A lot of the people doing the above stuff are high income, but are not rich by any means. They are dependent on their high paying jobs to have and do the things listed. If their jobs went away, they would be screwed just as much as the rest of us would be. I know a few people like this.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
A designator of being rich is not always their outward and physical appearance. Many people drive expensive cars, wear nice clothes, have perfect teeth, make up, waxed eyebrows, maybe even plastic surgery...and they are drowning in debt. They pay the ultimate price to "look rich" to impress some people.

Then there are some people still who are rich, by most people's definition, and dress crummy, because of style, because tey want to hide their wealth status, or because it's what they're comfortable with, there are so many varying factors.

The common things we associate with being rich are obvious:

-designer clothes
- nice car, upwards of $60,000 would befit most rich people
- Designer watch
- fancy wedding ring

But just as important as the outward physical appearance is their mannerisms, attitude, and word choice. Most "rich" people don't work the same way the common folk do with their daily grind. They have more exulted pass times, different interests, are likely more politically involved or interested, etc. These subtle signs are also very important indicators of who may be rich and who is not, and who may be pretending to be.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Ring (s) only a poor slob never buys hie wife a more expensive rings or she buys them herself after the money has been made.
First of all, I can hardly comprehend what you are saying. Two, assuming I'm reading it correctly, I still don't agree. I know this may be hard to grasp, but there are people out there who don't really care about jewelry, realizing that most of it instantly depreciates the moment you buy it and thus is not a very good use of money.

Sure, there are crazy expensive items that will hold value, but we're talking about the "rich", not the ultra-rich. I suppose if I ever got my new worth up to $20+ million, I would consider upgrading the ring, but until then, not worth it.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:01 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,504 times
Quote:

I can't believe what i am reading.

You can probably go out and do all these things, imagine you have a job.

-they have nice teeth. poor's can't afford dentist. - Credit Card.
- they drive a Mercedes-Benz. $0 down and $700 per month.
- they have nice clothes such as Gucci and Ralph Lauren etc. - Credit Cards.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:47 PM

132 posts, read 315,360 times
IN MOST CASES you can tell if someone lives a rich life, not if they are rich. But I find in MOST CASES the rich have a confidence in their bearing and manner and are more likely to communicate in an effective manner using better grammar and diction and have a certain type of personality because they mirror other people who are rich. This is true in MOST CASES.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,647 times
Warren Buffet drives old pickup trucks, doesn't wear fancy 15K watches and his suits are nice but not Wall Street banker favorites.

Bill Gates drives nice but used cars, wears polo shirts, ect.

Steve Jobs wore pretty much what you saw at the news conferences (don't know what car he drove but probably a Prius).

Sam Walton drove old pickup trucks, a timex watch and decent but not designer suits, when he wore one.

Larry Ellison does care about all this luxury stuff but I think he's the only self-made billionare I know of who does. Even then, he doesn't advertise what he buys. The only people who care about looking rich are people who aren't really rich or are named Oprah Winfrey.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,218,353 times
The people who I have met that are millionares, you would never realize they are rich unless you knew them personally, they would tell you and you can sort of tell by the homes they own but I knew them personally and their houses were paid in cash . All the people I have known who were millionares owned their own businesses.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:38 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
Quote:

Totally missing that you're judging people on some very superficial items.

I know people who are practically broke, living from paycheck to paycheck who drive a decent 'benz, wear nice clothes from the discounters, and have nice teeth because they do take care of them and have access to a dental school or subsidized dental care.

All of them are folk who need (or think they do) to present an "image" of success ... real estate agents, lawyers, doctors, or others where image is more important that substance.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Warren Buffet drives old pickup trucks, doesn't wear fancy 15K watches and his suits are nice but not Wall Street banker favorites.

Bill Gates drives nice but used cars, wears polo shirts, ect.

Steve Jobs wore pretty much what you saw at the news conferences (don't know what car he drove but probably a Prius).
Nah dude.

Buffet is known for his fondness of Lincoln Towncars

Bill Gates bent import rules to get his Porsche 959 allowed past customs, here in Bellevue

Steve Jobs had a mercedes with no plates that he would illegally park in handicapped spots around Palo Alto

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance