Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 04:50 AM

233 posts, read 244,448 times

Advertisements

Look at him then look at his partner 9 out of 10. If he is butt ugly and she is smoking hot I'm sure he has money. It don't matter the ethnic group is always the same. Also the things they do on their off time can determine that too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 07:42 AM

18,503 posts, read 15,330,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Showy wealth seems like a cry for attention. It's more sad than admirable.
You are describing people who don’t have real wealth. People that buy things to look wealthy. They are looking for attention. To people with true wealth, impressing you is the absolute last thing on their mind.

The reason most expensive things, are expensive, is because they are the best. And many people with real wealth, want the best. After all, it is a drop in the bucket anyway, why not get the best?

A wealthy car enthusiast driving a Ferrari, doesn’t give a rat’s behind what you think of him or his car. He is just having fun driving a finely tuned Italian automobile.

The inaccessibility of it doesn’t even enter his mind, because he is used to being around mostly people that can easily afford it as well. So if he is “crying for attention” as you say, he is going to have to do a lot better than that.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 12-20-2019 at 08:54 AM..

Old 12-20-2019, 08:51 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,784,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I wear a royal blue Casio (from Target) and people complement me on it all the time. I've had a few people ask if it is a 'Casio Classic' which I'm assuming is something that actually exists, but don't really care enough to google it.

I wore the classic Casio ($10) for 11 years until I was gifted an Apple Watch, it was the best watch and whenever I whipped out my watch all the panhandlers and solicitors just sighed and walked away.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:29 PM

530 posts, read 176,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Regular rich or super rich? Super rich means named wings and buildings at museums, hospitals and universities. Regular rich is being a high level supporter with your name on a plaque.
I'd settle for getting regular rich from work that you can do anywhere, like from your laptop. The older gentleman I knew who played the stock market generally did an hour or so of work every day from when he retired in the 70s until he passed away recently. However, I have to add that a lot of his good moneymaking decisions were based on intuition. But I don't know how many years of study and work he had to put in in order to get to that level of intuition about stocks.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:24 PM

2,764 posts, read 2,241,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.910nc View Post
Look at him then look at his partner 9 out of 10. If he is butt ugly and she is smoking hot I'm sure he has money. It don't matter the ethnic group is always the same. Also the things they do on their off time can determine that too
LOL. And the bigger the age gap the more money the old coot has!

Old 12-20-2019, 05:24 PM

30,916 posts, read 37,087,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.910nc View Post
That may be an indicator of high income, but not an indicator of wealth. The two are not the same.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
I'd settle for getting regular rich from work that you can do anywhere, like from your laptop. The older gentleman I knew who played the stock market generally did an hour or so of work every day from when he retired in the 70s until he passed away recently. However, I have to add that a lot of his good moneymaking decisions were based on intuition. But I don't know how many years of study and work he had to put in in order to get to that level of intuition about stocks.
It really doesn't take that much smarts to do well in the stock market. Mostly, it's about consistently adding money to stock mutual funds with every paycheck. Month in and month out. Year in and year out. I've made more money in the stock market this year than my gross annual salary. It's not because I'm smart. It's because I've been consistently putting in more than a skimpy amount from every paycheck for more than 23 years now. However, over a 20+ year time frame, even investing skimpy amounts adds up to more than most people realize. Yes, it really is that boring.

Consistency matters more than smarts and intuition. A lot more.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-20-2019 at 05:41 PM..

Old 12-20-2019, 05:56 PM

8,801 posts, read 3,962,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That may be an indicator of high income, but not an indicator of wealth. The two are not the same.
Income (earned, portfolio, and passive) absolutely can be an indicator of wealth. That said, I agree it can't tell you the whole picture with certainty - but nothing can short of knowing an individual's liabilities and entire financial picture as well.

That said, high income certainly may tell you the likelihood/odds of wealth (especially relative to portfolio and/or passive income). High earners and investors tend to be 'smart' about their money; people who inherit money or win the lotto likely reflect a different mentality entirely.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Income (earned, portfolio, and passive) absolutely can be an indicator of wealth.
Yes, sorry. I meant job income.

Quote:
That said, I agree it can't tell you the whole picture with certainty - but nothing can short of knowing an individual's liabilities and entire financial picture as well..
Correct.

Quote:
That said, high income certainly may tell you the likelihood/odds of wealth (especially relative to portfolio and/or passive income). High earners and investors tend to be 'smart' about their money; people who inherit money or win the lotto likely reflect a different mentality entirely.
Correct. Certainly higher income increases the likelihood of actual wealth. My point was there's a large minority of high income people with little actual wealth, as has been documented in numerous books and studies over the years. Despite widespread documentation, this still surprises a lot of people.

Old 12-21-2019, 02:19 PM

8,801 posts, read 3,962,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

Correct. Certainly higher income increases the likelihood of actual wealth. My point was there's a large minority of high income people with little actual wealth, as has been documented in numerous books and studies over the years. Despite widespread documentation, this still surprises a lot of people.
I don't think it surprises anyone; it's common sense if one spends beyond their means (and/or doesn't plan for a future), the money won't last. There's a big difference between buying a car because you can afford it vs. buying a car because you want to impress someone (and you had to take a loan to do so). The higher the income (earned, passive and portfolio), the less likely one is in the latter category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance