Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2019, 11:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,796,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
He may view it differently, but I don't care how much someone makes, if they ”spend it all”, how can they be considered wealthy?

I guess if they spend it all on real estate, art, or other things that appreciate in value, sure. But if they are spending it all on cars, vacations, etc, with nothing to show for it, are they wealthy?
they would view it as the ability to buy whatever they want. someone making minimum wage isnt going to be driving a bentley and eating at $100+ a person restaurants but this guy can.

clearly, him and the low wage earner arent the same. one is living a much more lavish lifestyle based on his/her earnings. so he could call it being rich while you would say "how can you be rich if you dont have a high net worth?"

i dont know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 12:01 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,272,456 times
Regular rich or super rich? Super rich means named wings and buildings at museums, hospitals and universities. Regular rich is being a high level supporter with your name on a plaque. If your giving above a certain level year after year, you have to be wealthy. Unless your famous, the honoree at a big ticket fundraiser is another tell. Membership at exclusive social and golf clubs points to wealth. How much did it cost to join mar a lago or one of the fancy courses in the hamptons? If you have to ask....

Old 12-18-2019, 12:12 PM

4,497 posts, read 3,944,431 times
The only way you could ever guess how much money I have is if you noticed the watch I was wearing. And hardly anyone ever does, which is a good thing.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:32 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,606,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
The only way you could ever guess how much money I have is if you noticed the watch I was wearing. And hardly anyone ever does, which is a good thing.

How would people know how much money you have if they saw your watch tho?

Old 12-18-2019, 05:59 PM

8,739 posts, read 3,919,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Because we were sharing our portfolios after a period of time of talking about stocks and investments..... I've actually seen his a couple of his portfolios on his phone. I had known of him for quite a while as a customer at the same dive bar but never once thought he was a pretty well to do individual. He wasn't trying to impress.. never threw money around or showed off. It just came up in conversation and he was pretty forthcoming. Had I not shown interest in stocks, I would probably never know any more about him other than he had a habit and frequented the same bar as I did.

It is a low class dive bar. Probably a welcome surprised that there is a regular customer that actually shared an interest in stocks.

Probably run into him today and share more of what he traded... or more likely point out positions that I stayed in too long.. lol He's also a news junkie so I get the low down on news that I missed while I was work...
I've been to quite a few dive bars in my day - I can safely say I've never shared my portfolio with anyone I've met while there, lol. From my perspective, this is simply meant to impress and/or the desire to appear wealthy (or get information from you). In fact, it would give me pause as to why the person is telling me he's a millionaire in a dive bar no less; people discuss the stock market all the time without doing so.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:22 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,916,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
People ogle my Casio watch from Walmart and assume I am rich

Old 12-19-2019, 03:17 PM

5,268 posts, read 6,427,333 times
Quote:
People ogle my Casio watch from Walmart and assume I am rich
I wear a royal blue Casio (from Target) and people complement me on it all the time. I've had a few people ask if it is a 'Casio Classic' which I'm assuming is something that actually exists, but don't really care enough to google it.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,796,800 times
i havent worn a watch in years.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:27 PM

30 posts, read 18,289 times
thats the american way.... you assume looks tell you about a persons net worth. but as theres loans and creditcards especially in the us i dont think show off stuff like clothes, watches or cars and even planes are a reliable way to figure out if someone is rich or not. here in germany the rich mostly keep calm and dont show off. i can show you a man in this town that you would assume seeing him is a trades worker or whatever..... but his networth is listed in forbes.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:15 PM

8,891 posts, read 6,925,514 times
Showy wealth seems like a cry for attention. It's more sad than admirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance