Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 03:53 PM

21,953 posts, read 9,537,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Before I retired, when I was filing taxes for folks. I saw a lot of W-2s. If you focus on salary income, then you are likely not looking at earnings of very much. How many people are paid salaries over $500k?

If your entire income is from a salary then your a wage-slave, and likely not very wealthy. Granted there are a very wage-slaves who have high salaries, but those are very rare.

America has thousands of people who 'bring in' Multi-millions every year, more often it is from businesses they own, and most of that is being re-invested and sheltered so they do not pay taxes on it.

When I was collecting apartment buildings, I never took an income from any of them. On my tax filing, my Schedule Es always showed they were flush. I reinvested every penny back into them to build their Net Worth. Instead of being paid a taxable income.

Say you own a cleaning service: a building, 8 vans loaded with equipment and 10 employees. If your building Net Worth then you likely only draw as much as you need for your family, and you keep the rest of the profits in the business so your not paying taxes on it. You might Gross $10Million a year, but your W-2 might only show $80k or $100k. Your W-2 will likely not show your true income.

That is why businesses often run multiple sets of books.
It always amazes me how people think they know what rich people do.

You CAN get rich earning a salary if you work for a public company as a high level employee because you get bonus and stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 04:52 AM

106,790 posts, read 109,020,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It always amazes me how people think they know what rich people do.

You CAN get rich earning a salary if you work for a public company as a high level employee because you get bonus and stock.
3000 workers who started with home depot as lower level workers are millionaires today .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Home Depot co-founder on rising number of 401(K) millionaires

When Ken Langone co-founded Home Depot in 1978, he not only helped create what would become the world’s largest home improvement retailer, but he also changed the lives of thousands of employees.

“We have 3,000 kids – a kid at Home Depot, if you’re under 83 you’re a kid,” Langone told FOX Business’ Maria Bartiromo on Tuesday. “We have 3,000 kids that started in the parking lot – entry level that are multimillionaires today.”
Ann-Marie Campbell began her career as a cashier, and today, she is the executive vice president of U.S. stores.

Home Depot has nearly 400,000 associates and more than 2,200 stores in the U.S., Canada and Mexico, according to its website. It has paid employees more than $1 billion in profit sharing over the past five years.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:39 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,553,656 times
I’d say what they do for a job and where they live are the two biggest indicators.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
we went on a trip last weekend with a few other families. most of the time, when the bill came we each gave our credit cards for an even 4 way split. one of the guys throws down his amex black card. another guy asked if the annual fee was 4-500 and he says $5,000. that is a lot to pay for the honor of having a prestigious credit card.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:16 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,553,656 times
I’ve found that many wealthy people keep their money to themselves. I’m not saying all....but the ones I know are pretty alligator armed when it comes to getting the bill. My aunt and uncle are a prime example. It’s not their job to get the bill at all but they never ever offer.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:34 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,995,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I’d say what they do for a job and where they live are the two biggest indicators.
What they do for a job is an indicator of income, but not whether or not they're rich.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:13 PM

18,480 posts, read 15,272,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
we went on a trip last weekend with a few other families. most of the time, when the bill came we each gave our credit cards for an even 4 way split. one of the guys throws down his amex black card. another guy asked if the annual fee was 4-500 and he says $5,000. that is a lot to pay for the honor of having a prestigious credit card.
I think he misunderstood. The initiation fee is $5000. Or it was. I think they may have raised it to $7500 recently.

The yearly fee is only $2500.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:14 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,327,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
Are you teling me that the rich try to act poor?

Some do, yes. Google Stealth Wealth.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think he misunderstood. The initiation fee is $5000. Or it was. I think they may have raised it to $7500 recently.

The yearly fee is only $2500.
i just checked online and it looks like its going to $5k next year. i kind of remember him saying something like it being $2,500 but now it is going to be $5k.

one of the other guys was using the amex platinum. i didnt recognize it from when we had it, it looks fancier now.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,198,781 times
How to tell if someone is rich? You can’t always tell for sure but beautiful straight teeth (as the OP mentioned) would be an indicator, for sure. I’d also list nicely fitting high end clothing, likely made of natural fibers, expensive hand jewelry, ownership of a high end car, resident in an exclusive neighborhood, multiple residences, expensive vacations. If the OP wanted to know how to recognize a rich person without knowing much about him or her, I’d rely the first three things I enumerated and body language. The rich are usually very secure in their wealth and give off a certain physical assuredness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance