Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2019, 05:40 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,555,673 times

Advertisements

Not sure why people are stuck on the nice teeth one. I would say bad teeth Can be a sign of poverty but nice teeth do not mean someone is rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 06:01 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,523,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Not sure why people are stuck on the nice teeth one. I would say bad teeth Can be a sign of poverty but nice teeth do not mean someone is rich.
I admit that I have a thing about teeth. If you have black or brown teeth I am repulsed when I see that.

If a person has 'Ferengi' teeth again I find that repulsive.

This has nothing to do with wealth.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:57 PM

8,740 posts, read 3,911,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
Don't tell someone you're rich because the uneducated will think you're bragging and the smart will rob you.
If they are that intelligent, they'll make their own money; it isn't necessary to 'rob' anyone (especially when everything we do can be tracked/monitored via computer or camera, etc).

One way you can tell people who aren't 'rich', however - is noting those who talk incessantly about people who are.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:13 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,278,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
How to tell if someone is rich? You can’t always tell for sure but beautiful straight teeth (as the OP mentioned) would be an indicator, for sure. I’d also list nicely fitting high end clothing, likely made of natural fibers, expensive hand jewelry, ownership of a high end car, resident in an exclusive neighborhood, multiple residences, expensive vacations. If the OP wanted to know how to recognize a rich person without knowing much about him or her, I’d rely the first three things I enumerated and body language. The rich are usually very secure in their wealth and give off a certain physical assuredness.
In the first part of your answer you're looking at manifestations of spending. It may just mean that they spend every dime that comes in and they're leveraged to the teeth in debt. I do have relatives who live like that and ARE rich but that's not always the case.

Then there's me. I'm a (low) multi-millionaire. I spent less than $200 on clothes this year although I do have a nice wardrobe of bespoke business clothes from before my retirement that I wear when I need to look respectable. I drive a boring 2012 sedan. I have only one house, worth about $250K, in a town with blue-collar demographics. I have to admit that my travel budget IS extravagant, but looking at me in my everyday clothes you would grossly underestimate my net worth. Oh, yeah- 5 of my teeth are dental implants. I do think that missing teeth are a sign of poverty. Perfectly-aligned whitened teeth might just mean you aspire to be in show business or some other field where looks matter.

And I agree on the body language. I'm perfectly confident in expensive restaurants, airline lounges and other places people with money frequent- but I have to admit a lot of that is from business travel when I was working.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:17 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,314,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
Are you teling me that the rich try to act poor?
Didn't read the other 12 pages - so my apologies if this was already addressed ad nauseum.

Rich people don't "try" to act poor. They simply don't feel the need to act rich.

Of course "rich" is also relative. And then there's rich vs. wealthy. As (I believe) Shaq said something to the effect of - the players that are paid tens of millions of dollars, they're rich. But the owners that pay them? They're 'wealthy'.

So to the original question - anything that can be obtained by small loans doesn't mean you are rich. So a car, nice clothes, etc. They can all be had by going into debt. That doesn't mean you aren't rich either.

And making 250K means most will consider you rich. But if you spend 260K... then you're not rich.

Bottom line - you can't tell if someone is wealthy by just looking at them.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:23 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,886,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post

So to the original question - anything that can be obtained by small loans doesn't mean you are rich. So a car, nice clothes, etc. They can all be had by going into debt. That doesn't mean you aren't rich either.
I can remember reading articles on the retail scene in Brazil, and apparently it's pretty common for status-conscious middle class Brazilian women to buy luxury handbags on an installment plan. Just one of those little things that sticks in my brain.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:03 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,794,931 times
Rich people don’t need to impress anyone. How to tell somebody rich? Maybe they have rich in their name. Lol

Old 12-15-2019, 10:44 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,780,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
How to tell if someone is rich? You can’t always tell for sure but beautiful straight teeth (as the OP mentioned) would be an indicator, for sure. I’d also list nicely fitting high end clothing, likely made of natural fibers, expensive hand jewelry, ownership of a high end car, resident in an exclusive neighborhood, multiple residences, expensive vacations. If the OP wanted to know how to recognize a rich person without knowing much about him or her, I’d rely the first three things I enumerated and body language. The rich are usually very secure in their wealth and give off a certain physical assuredness.
You've been reading People magazine too much. What you are describing matches thousands of people who are in sales or marketing and do a lot of schmoozing of clients, but aren't rich.

I have friends who are pretty rich, maybe $50+ million and they are pretty normal looking. One of them rides his bike to work (the company he owns) every day.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:07 AM

8,740 posts, read 3,911,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post

I have friends who are pretty rich, maybe $50+ million and they are pretty normal looking. One of them rides his bike to work (the company he owns) every day.
Even people with money need exercise and 'look normal' - lol.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,886,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Even people with money need exercise and 'look normal' - lol.
There's also a subset of rich people who get into extreme and highly expensive exercise projects. The cost of climbing Mount Everest or swimming the English Channel is not cheap. The general entry fee for an Ironman-branded long distance triathlon is up to $825 a year now even before you get into training costs and the costs of getting you and your bike to the event site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance