Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:44 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,454,655 times

Advertisements

Like stoutboy said, a college degree is more likely to make you money as opposed to a condo that you will just be paying into.

So personally, I would go with a degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 02:35 AM

107,080 posts, read 109,388,270 times
the condo is a liability, the degree is an investment in human capital. today the degree is the old high school diploma. there is not going to be much available to you in the better jobs without it.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:18 AM

4,255 posts, read 6,940,152 times
not even a question. College degree.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,979,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
If you had the money, would you go to college and get the degree of your choice or buy a condo in a location you desire?

If I had alot of money, I would get the condo. At least I can run a home based business. What can you get with a college degree? Maybe a piece of paper which you can blow your nose with. There are lots of people that have degrees but they are out of work and having trouble getting a job.
Good luck with that. It is probably illegal to run a home based business out of most condos. The HOA will often disallow it.

The people you see with degrees that are out of work or have trouble finding a job more than likely either made bad choices, like failing to increase their skills and knowledge so they could find work or are waiting for someone else to figure things out for them.

You know why the people who say a degree is a piece of paper you can use to blow your nose think that don't you? Because it takes someone with a degree to figure out that tissue paper is used when blowing one's nose and the dummies use paper.

I had to laugh at the post. If you had a lot of money why would you want a home based business and a condo and not something better in life? Maybe your goals are low or without the experience and knowledge that comes with education, thinking of higher ideals is difficult?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,323,730 times
Quote:
If you had the money, would you go to college and get the degree of your choice or buy a condo in a location you desire?

If I had alot of money, I would get the condo. At least I can run a home based business. What can you get with a college degree? Maybe a piece of paper which you can blow your nose with. There are lots of people that have degrees but they are out of work and having trouble getting a job.
What it really depends on is what kind of degree you're talking about. If it's something in demand, definitely the degree. Over the course of your career it will immensely increase your earning power. If it's something like philosophy then maybe you should just buy the condo and get an hourly job somewhere.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,049,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
What it really depends on is what kind of degree you're talking about. If it's something in demand, definitely the degree. Over the course of your career it will immensely increase your earning power. If it's something like philosophy then maybe you should just buy the condo and get an hourly job somewhere.
I work with a guy who has both bachelor's and master's in Philosophy - off the chart smart and very valuable IT professional. Would he be where he is now without his degree? Absolutely not. Is it his specific degree that defines his earning potential? Again - no. Just had to say this, because you mentioned philosophy.

To the OP: my answer is "degree".

Old 03-19-2013, 02:22 AM

107,080 posts, read 109,388,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
i would dis-agree .today a degree in bird watching is just fine. it does not matter what the degree is in. a degree is for the most part is only a filter . it functions as our high school diploma did in my generation.

it is no pass to a high paying job but without it your shot at it is much less .

Old 03-19-2013, 06:00 AM

17,483 posts, read 22,237,275 times
Interesting question, the degree is something they can never take away from you, condo can go away many ways.

As an offshoot of the original post, I often wonder if some people would be better off with a degree from a lower price state school and a condo vs. a high price Ivy League education only for the same total cost.

Some degrees it would make a difference but in other cases, no way...take the condo bonus!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,323,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would dis-agree .today a degree in bird watching is just fine. it does not matter what the degree is in. a degree is for the most part is only a filter . it functions as our high school diploma did in my generation.

it is no pass to a high paying job but without it your shot at it is much less .
We can agree to disagree, but I completely disagree with that statement. Lots of fresh college grads with undergrads and masters degrees are unemployed right now and drowning in student loan debt because they can't find a job. If you just want a degree in bird watching for the personal enjoyment/satisfaction, then that is all well and good. But if you're attaining the degree for career growth you won't achieve the same ROI on that investment with all of them. And today it is quite in investment to go to college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I work with a guy who has both bachelor's and master's in Philosophy - off the chart smart and very valuable IT professional. Would he be where he is now without his degree? Absolutely not. Is it his specific degree that defines his earning potential? Again - no. Just had to say this, because you mentioned philosophy.
There are exceptions to everything. But I think you'd agree that a person pursuing IT with a philosophy degree (or bird watching as other poster said) will be at a disadvantage vs other people with specific degrees related to computers, at least in the early part of their career before they've accumulated a great deal of experience. It's not to say people can't succeed with a degree in philosophy, or no degree whatsoever. But the main idea of this thread is the value of a college degree. And I say : it depends.

Last edited by FCNova; 03-19-2013 at 08:21 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,299,650 times
Quote:
What can you get with a college degree? Maybe a piece of paper which you can blow your nose with.
Anybody who believes this will surely be better off with the condo, as such a person is never going to make it among informed, educated people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance