Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,294,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

I often wonder if some people would be better off with a degree from a lower price state school and a condo vs. a high price Ivy League education only for the same total cost.
This is a much better question.

I saw one study which reported that kids who were admitted to Ivy League schools but chose instead to attend a good state U did as well in life (materially) as their Ivy League graduate counterparts. The key is that the former were actually of the same calibre (they didn't just think that they were) -- actually admitted to the top schools -- but chose voluntarily to go elsewhere, perhaps for financial reasons (or perhaps not).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,882,871 times
Condo. College? been there, done that. Was so-so clever, but I would have shamed my family if I hadn't harvested an university degree - any degree. So as I was not able to get a science degree , I lost 4 years of my life doing a BA in liberal arts- which landed me nowhere -except I'm able now to hold a conversation on USCityData and sound "cultured", it's a positive-a small one ...

Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,294,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
If it's something like philosophy then maybe you should just buy the condo and get an hourly job somewhere.
Why pick on philosophy? There is something to be said for becoming an educated person apart from earning money, and philosophy is probably the strongest major in terms of true learning. Philosophy is one of the few curricula that actually teach people how to think, apart from learning some kind of a trade.

Birdwatching it's not. Rather, philosophy is the guide to life

Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,882,871 times
Philosophy (in my country at least) is akin to brainwashing (Marx ...Freud...Freud...Marx).
As a 20 year old I had understood that, that's wy I majored in History (still fraught with ideology, but slightly less because historians can't say the Civil War didn't happen 1861-65 but in the 18th century, philosophers on the other hand can play with facts they call it "dialectic"...)

Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,170,072 times
i don't like condos. its not exactly free either, even after the mortgage is done since you have the HOA and all. however if you're not college material i guess you're better off with the condo

Last edited by brocco; 03-19-2013 at 09:39 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Why pick on philosophy? There is something to be said for becoming an educated person apart from earning money, and philosophy is probably the strongest major in terms of true learning. Philosophy is one of the few curricula that actually teach people how to think, apart from learning some kind of a trade.

Birdwatching it's not. Rather, philosophy is the guide to life
You're right, the way I phrased it was a little harsh. I didn't mean to imply a philosophy degree is a waste of time. The OP seemed to be focusing on earning money though, in comparing the benefits of spending money on a degree vs investing it. So in that regard I think a philosophy degree would fall well short compared to your more technical degrees(accounting, engineering, computer science, etc). That's all I was saying. Although the OP should definitely choose philosophy over bird watching IMO.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,853,012 times
Much of the discussion about college degrees these days focuses on the fact that a lot of folks with degrees are having a difficult time in the job market. However, the reality is relative. Those with college degrees are still doing better than those without.

Secondly, while an immediate, high-paying career may be the objective of many young college students, that's not the only benefit of a college degree. One thing a degree gives one is the 'option' of doing something else later-on when they have a family and bills ... and discover that going to college at that point, is about ten-times more difficult than when they were 18. College also 'connects one' with a more focused, directed group of people and attitudes, leading to greater 'possibility thinking.'

The Condo question seems to presume that one can afford to pay cash for a condo now(?). If not, 'buying' a condo at a young age, with no education will likely 'saddle' one with high monthly bills, a low-end condo and more responsibility than one is equipped to deal with. (Of course, if the OP is older, with significant savings and a good job, this scenario changes.

Actually, the real question is more one of: Should I buy a condo now and hope I can keep it?; .... or should I go to college now ... so that I can buy a better condo/home later, with a high degree of assurance that I will be able to afford it ... along with the other things I'm going to want later? (A condo is only a temporary place to live; ... a college degree is a lifetime investment).

Old 03-19-2013, 03:24 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,404,782 times
College degrees don't send you special assessments.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,853,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
College degrees don't send you special assessments.
How true... but, then, it's not the college degree itself that costs people money. It's borrowing money to pay for it, … just like borrowing money to pay for anything else in life (houses, cars, boats, vacations, etc). However, one does not have to pay for not having a condo or those other things, .... while not having a college degree will cost you plenty.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,792,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
If you had the money, would you go to college and get the degree of your choice or buy a condo in a location you desire?
I think this question should not be a monetary one. College is great if you're of the "learning" mindset and you have a passion or talent for specific field. A person would be very hard-pressed to learn things like physics or engineering on their own.

But if you're going to college just for the sake of getting ahead in life, mmmm well I don't know if that's a good idea. You can probably achieve the same by just doing what you have a knack for and getting the appropriate training in whatever the standard way is for that. Mechanics and woodworkers don't need to go to college, they should go to a trade school.

If you're of a business mindset, you definitely don't need education. You just need startup capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance