Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM

103 posts, read 326,888 times

Advertisements

I applied for 3 credit cards online today. i applied for a discover IT, AMEX green, and citi simplicity, and all of them said that my application needed further review. I don't understand it I have no debt a good income, very good savings and last I checked my fico was 630-670. So how is it that I am not getting approved. An I missing something or am I just not ment to get a credit card now. Can you guys give me any advice on what could be the reason I'm not being approved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,786,077 times
Your credit score and lack of credit history could be the problem. Do you have any store credit cards, a car loan or anything else?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Your credit score and lack of credit history could be the problem. Do you have any store credit cards, a car loan or anything else?
No, I don't have any store credit cards, and I got a small loan (3k) just to establish my credit but other than that I have nothing else along the lines of credit cards or loans.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:04 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,786,077 times
I have found that retail stores are more lenient when extending credit lines, although in most cases they will be small limits...$350 and under, but having one and paying it off according to terms will help build your credit score. Also, applying to three in a short period of time is not a good idea, will affect your credit score adversely.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:27 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,146,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I have found that retail stores are more lenient when extending credit lines, although in most cases they will be small limits...$350 and under, but having one and paying it off according to terms will help build your credit score. Also, applying to three in a short period of time is not a good idea, will affect your credit score adversely.
Yep, the three enquires won't help. Get a secured credit card rather than a store card, store cards are bad news. That card and your loan will build up the credit nicely but wait until you're over 680 or better yet 720 before hitting your score again for credit. Under 680 isn't junk but its frowned upon.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
Yep, the three enquires won't help. Get a secured credit card rather than a store card, store cards are bad news. That card and your loan will build up the credit nicely but wait until you're over 680 or better yet 720 before hitting your score again for credit. Under 680 isn't junk but its frowned upon.
That loan is already paid off, so right now I have no revolving credit accounts. I really didn't want to get a secured credit card but I guess I have no choice I see if my credit union offers one.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:01 PM

142 posts, read 678,459 times
I always get the "need further review" response whenever I open a CC. It has nothing to do with my credit score or credit history; I have excellent credit.

The "need further review" occurs because the information you've inputted may not match with data your vetted against: incorrect data - folks with similar names that may have poor credit score/history; not updated data - addresses, no longer own a loan but it still shows, etc.

If you're provided a phone number to call them, I'd go that route to secure a CC.

However, I would wait a few weeks before applying for another CC. Multiple credit inquires (and with denials) within a short period of time may be interpreted by the CC companies that you are "desperate" for money or living beyond your means.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,146,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
I applied for 3 credit cards online today.
I missed this bit. They need time to get back to you, the application isn't approved automatically. Wait a few days, you may have gotten one or all three cards.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 PM

22,713 posts, read 47,922,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
I applied for 3 credit cards online today. i applied for a discover IT, AMEX green, and citi simplicity, and all of them said that my application needed further review. I don't understand it I have no debt a good income, very good savings and last I checked my fico was 630-670. So how is it that I am not getting approved. An I missing something or am I just not ment to get a credit card now. Can you guys give me any advice on what could be the reason I'm not being approved.
Because you applied four hours ago!
These things DO take time.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,281,693 times
In a week this guy will have 80k in credit. Since he applied to 3!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance