Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 04:34 AM

15 posts, read 211,204 times

Advertisements

My debit card number was stolen (not the card though they said they had to physically be using the card I told them no they couldn't have been). The total number of purchases was something like 30 bucks and spread out (I didn't monitor my bank account because I hardly have any activity and its a fairly new card). So, my question is what is the chance (statistics, life experience, opinions, etc) that the bank will find out who did it and HOW they did it. Because I honestly can not think of how since I only used it to buy food at the same restaurant a few times, took out like 20 bucks from an ATM drive thru, and paid my cell bill around the time it was stolen.

So, anyone have any opinions or anything on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 04:46 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Check your bank statement and see what it was spent on.
Small purchases do not require signature ( at least where I live), so I don't think the bank can trace those spendings.
However someone knew your PIN number.

Someone took money from your account and paid your cell phone bill??? That's very strange...
Maybe you have an automatic/paperless bill pay in place with your cellphone provider?

Old 04-27-2013, 05:03 AM

15 posts, read 211,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Check your bank statement and see what it was spent on.
Small purchases do not require signature ( at least where I live), so I don't think the bank can trace those spendings.
However someone knew your PIN number.

Someone took money from your account and paid your cell phone bill??? That's very strange...
Maybe you have an automatic/paperless bill pay in place with your cellphone provider?
Hey, sorry I didn't explain myself well enough. The list of things (restaurant, cell phone bill, etc) were all things /I/ did with my debit card around the time it was first being used by someone else so I was wondering if any of those things somehow lead to a person being able to steal my number. I have no clue how they could have gotten my pin but some stores don't require a pin number so I figure the coffee shop they kept getting coffee from was one of them

Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
The restaurant was probably where the info from your card was stolen. Never, ever let your card out of your site. When a waiter takes your card to another room to run the bill through the credit card machine, he can write down the credit/debit card number, expiration date and three-digit security number on the back. I've read that, with that info, some guys can even make a new card that looks exactly like yours.

There's also a chance that someone used one of those RFID readers to access your card info while it was in your purse. I've bought RFID sleeves for each of my credit cards so I dont have to worry about that.

And, to answer your question, the likelihood of BoA's even trying to find the culprit is nil.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:36 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
The restaurant was probably where the info from your card was stolen. Never, ever let your card out of your site. When a waiter takes your card to another room to run the bill through the credit card machine, he can write down the credit/debit card number, expiration date and three-digit security number on the back. I've read that, with that info, some guys can even make a new card that looks exactly like yours.

There's also a chance that someone used one of those RFID readers to access your card info while it was in your purse. I've bought RFID sleeves for each of my credit cards so I dont have to worry about that.

And, to answer your question, the likelihood of BoA's even trying to find the culprit is nil.
Your best bet is just to use a credit card everywhere if possible. It is borrowed money so it isn't my problem if someone steals it. 9/10 they will fix the problem no problem unless they think your the one committing fraud.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:03 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post

That (bolded) is sadly not really possible here in the USA, especially in restaurants, where the waiter bring you a bill, and then take your credit card to the cash register to finalize the purchase.
However overseas the wait staff carry portable credit card readers, and I don't remember any situation where I didn't see what was done with my card.
I wonder why portable card readers are not widely implemented in the USA yet. They are standard in many countries for years.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
" Likelihood of Bank (of America) finding culprit who stole my debit card #?"

zero

Old 04-27-2013, 01:40 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Your best bet is just to use a credit card everywhere if possible.
Yet even that isn't safe. A few weeks ago, B of A called me about irregular credit card activity and it turns out that someone had used my credit card number to make several online purchases. I rarely order anything online with a credit card. When I asked how I might prevent this in the future, they said to order only from secure sites that begin with "http."

Old 04-27-2013, 01:48 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yet even that isn't safe. A few weeks ago, B of A called me about irregular credit card activity and it turns out that someone had used my credit card number to make several online purchases. I rarely order anything online with a credit card. When I asked how I might prevent this in the future, they said to order only from secure sites that begin with "http."
But you got your money back right? That's all that matters. Unless your paying with cash your pretty much just have to deal with the fact that this might happen.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:29 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Secure sites begin with https
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance