Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:06 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,410,015 times

Advertisements

I just got off the phone with Security Service Federal Credit Union (SSFCU). I'll go in person today to upgrade from a "Merit" checking account (my current account status) to a "Classic" checking account with SSFCU.

Early next year before Bank of America (BOA) starts charging $5 a month for debit card usage, I'll take my money out of BOA (I have $3,500 in there right now) and I'm putting it all in SSFCU.

Credit unions are the way to go! Forget these "too-big-to-fail-banks." I'm leavin' them for good even after I sang the praises of BOA for so long.

BOA started charging my Dad $12.00 a month for his "free" checking account about 3 or 4 months ago (with no notice of any kind). He should have been "grandfathered" into the free account (along with myself) that he signed up for but BOA automatically started charging him since he did not have any direct deposit setup or a minimum balance of 1,500 in his account. They refunded him $36.00.

Long story short: they converted his "My Access" checking account to an electronic account so that he will have a "free" account, but he can never go in to a BOA branch to do a deposit or a withdrawl (with a teller) because he will be charged. He can only make deposits and withdrawls from BOA ATMS.

Bye bye, BOA. My love affair with you is over. I'll miss the convenience of having a BOA ATM at any Valero store in this city. SSFCU has like zero ATMS in this city, but they are the better deal so I'm stickin' with them!

Last edited by xsa210tx; 10-01-2011 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 10:29 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,413,882 times
This must be my year for change.. Last week I finally got rid of sprint and switched to Verizon and now I'm actively looking for a new bank. I had been with sprint since they first started in San Diego and have been a "valued customer" with B of A since 1993, but it's time to part ways with both. Actually, it's way past due, but I'm finally doing it/did it. I should've got rid of B of A when they started actively seeking out criminals for customers, but I have so many things tied to them. It will take a lot of effort to move everything around, but I'm repulsed by them now, though, and hopefully they fail. Of course we'll have to wait until there's no longer that too big to fail thing we're currently cursed with, but that things days are numbered too... If I worked for them, I would definitely be seeking work elsewhere. Hopefully them and some of the other big boys will be crashing down soon. Good riddance to them too!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:18 AM

4,339 posts, read 7,250,762 times
One of the reports I heard on the news said the proposed fee will apply to customers who have the "Basic" checking account, but will not apply to "Premium" accounts.

The question is, what defines "Basic" and "Premium". I have linked checking & savings accounts at BoA, and so far have not been assessed any monthly fees. I could always move my deposits over to a credit union where I have an account, although the credit union isn't as convenient, and doesn't have nearly as many ATMs.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:22 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,824,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
One of the reports I heard on the news said the proposed fee will apply to customers who have the "Basic" checking account, but will not apply to "Premium" accounts.

The question is, what defines "Basic" and "Premium". I have linked checking & savings accounts at BoA, and so far have not been assessed any monthly fees. I could always move my deposits over to a credit union where I have an account, although the credit union isn't as convenient, and doesn't have nearly as many ATMs.

Premium = 'Advantage' account. Daily balance of $5k+. If you can keep that, there are no fees of any kind.

BN

Old 10-01-2011, 11:25 AM

4,066 posts, read 5,652,602 times
Man, I'd be out the door so quick after closing down the account that nobody would believe an old lady could move so fast...IF my credit union did that to me! DH and I talked about it yesterday. IF ALL of the banks and credit unions were to put that in place...well, I'd do without those darn cards! We didn't have such cards before and we could do without them now rather than spend a fortune for the "convenience" of using them.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,141,331 times
Most people won't bolt and the fees that they pay will help the price of my Bank of America stock.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:20 PM

314 posts, read 833,135 times
I closed my BoA account last year when they started charging "maintenance fees"...only regret is I don't get to do it again with this new fee!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:34 PM

210 posts, read 502,915 times
We closed our BOA account last year as they really seemed to hate active military personnel who were stationed abroad. They started adding random charges, would block the account from use at random times (despite living abroad for 4yrs and for the first 2 of those years we had zero issues!) and their customer service was TERRIBLE.

We switched straight to USAA and we're sticking with them for good.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:19 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,722,778 times
I used to use my debit card (Wells Fargo) all the time as I hated carrying cash (more inclined to spend cash on petty things like coke and candy). Now I use credit cards.

But, to be honest, there's no reason to not use credit cards if you pay your balance in full every month. Credit cards offer more consumer protection against fraud and things like extended warranties and free insurance, on top of the ability to delay payment for 15-30 days of float. More importantly, you get so many rewards by using your credit cards to pay off your monthly bills like free airline tickets, retail gift cards, cash back, etc.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:50 PM

431 posts, read 766,718 times
i left when they started letting illegals have credit cards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance