Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:05 PM

8,094 posts, read 10,694,630 times

Advertisements

Right, the accounts that actually keep some kind of a balance in the bank are the ones that generally have no fees attached. The banks can lend on those funds. But as anyone who has borrowed money (with good credit) recently knows, banks are making very little on loans these days. That is why the interest they are paying out on CD's etc. is so low. You can't get a mortgage for 4% for 30 years and expect to also get a great rate on your investments. It's a good time for those that need, and can qualify for loans these days; its not such a great time for savers.

The accounts people have where their paycheck or Social Security goes in and they come in that very day and withdraw all but $2.00 to keep the account open, and that's the only relationship they have with the bank - those are the accounts the banks don't need. Unless they are frequently overdrawn - then the bank makes money off of that customer in overdraft fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 04:04 AM

454 posts, read 1,244,680 times
I closed mine.

When I applied for the credit union there was a 15$ application fee but when I told them I had a large balance in BOFA and was going to move everything to the new account they waived the fee. I get everything free now. Problem solved and I probably saved myself hundreds.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,450,823 times
Does anyone know if these fees apply to using your debit card as "debit" transaction only or if it is for either debit or credit transactions?

Old 10-03-2011, 06:25 AM

758 posts, read 1,239,098 times
No I will not, $5 is nothing but however if they do start charging $5 on every single debit purchase I made, I would be closing my account

Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,167,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Does anyone know if these fees apply to using your debit card as "debit" transaction only or if it is for either debit or credit transactions?

From what I understand, YES. It's for the use of the card period, debit OR credit option.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 AM

34,174 posts, read 83,290,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
From what I understand, YES. It's for the use of the card period, debit OR credit option.
Incorrect.

The fee's to make purchases and similar DEBIT services previously absorbed by the merchant
are now being shared with the BOA consumer's who do such by way of a flat fee
for the +/- 35cents per transaction it costs the Bank.

Credit card accounts are a whole other entity.

If you aren't living on the edge or otherwise aren't unable to maintain a reasonable account balance...
you won't be charged these debit transaction user fees.

Using the BOA ATM machine is NOT at issue.
No charges there at all.
---

OTHER banks will have other policies.
Chase (iirc) is proposing a $3 monthly fee
and having THAT apply to all accounts and all services *including* ATM use.

hth

Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 AM

I'm not answering about credit cards, I'm answering about the DEBIT card. Whether you press the "debit" or "credit" button option, you are are charged if it is your DEBIT card. I am not home so I can't easily find where I read that, but I read it yesterday.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:54 AM

823 posts, read 2,219,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Incorrect.

The fee's to make purchases and similar DEBIT services previously absorbed by the merchant
are now being shared with the BOA consumer's who do such by way of a flat fee
for the +/- 35cents per transaction it costs the Bank.

Credit card accounts are a whole other entity.
No. That is correct. We aren't talking about "credit card accounts". When you pay for something with your debit card you can choose debit (where you enter your pin) or credit (where you don't). No matter which you choose, BofA will hit you with this fee.

Quote:
If you aren't living on the edge or otherwise aren't unable to maintain a reasonable account balance...
you won't be charged these debit transaction user fees.
Really? I have not seen anything that specifies what hoops you need to jump through to avoid the fee. Just "certain premium accounts". That makes it sound like you need a lot more than "a reasonable account balance".

Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 AM

34,174 posts, read 83,290,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I'm not answering about credit cards, I'm answering about the DEBIT card. Whether you press the "debit" or "credit" button option...
Gotcha. I missed that nuance. As I've never done that...
why would anyone use their atm card for credit instead of their credit card?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Gotcha. I missed that nuance. As I've never done that...
why would anyone use their atm card for credit instead of their credit card?

Some can't get get credit cards, or simply don't want one. With the debit card, your money has to be available. There is no "loan" like a credit card, where you are charged interest if you don't pay it off every month.

For me, it's more so that I can't get a credit card since my ex ruined my credit. I am still rebuilding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance