Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:41 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times

Advertisements

i didn't read the whole thread. i was just wondering what they count as debit card use? is it purchases you make at a merchant? or is it ALL debit card use, such as using it to pay bills online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i didn't read the whole thread. i was just wondering what they count as debit card use? is it purchases you make at a merchant? or is it ALL debit card use, such as using it to pay bills online?
My understanding of the monthly fee is that it would apply to a debit card transaction that is done anyplace OTHER than an ATM.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:57 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
I am pulling EVERYTHING from BOA for many reasons - the debit charge as the icing on the cake. They are a BAD bank.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
My understanding of the monthly fee is that it would apply to a debit card transaction that is done anyplace OTHER than an ATM.
really? if they start charging me $60 a year for that, i am running for the hills. i dont use my debit card when i make purchases....only to pay bills online. i use cash for everything else. $60 may not be much to some people, but, as a college student & aspiring accountant, it is too much

Old 10-23-2011, 08:37 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
At least that's the way it's been reported in published articles.
Quote:
really? if they start charging me $60 a year for that, i am running for the hills. i dont use my debit card when i make purchases....only to pay bills online. i use cash for everything else. $60 may not be much to some people, but, as a college student & aspiring accountant, it is too much
I haven't encountered any online transactions where they will take a debit card as a debit card. After all wouldn't you have to give them your PIN? No way! They will take a debit card as a credit transaction, though.

Which doesn't make sense, as far as the monthly fee, because to the merchant, a credit transaction is a credit transaction (as far as their fees are concerned), regardless of whether it was an actual credit card, or a debit card used as a credit card. The legislation that was recently enacted lowers the fees charged to merchants for debit transactions, but not for credit transactions.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
i didn't read the whole thread. i was just wondering...
maybe you should go back to the first page or two or even google to get the actual facts (that may or may not impact you) rather than wallow in the late thread morass of "me too's"

hth

Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
maybe you should go back to the first page or two or even google to get the actual facts (that may or may not impact you) rather than wallow in the late thread morass of "me too's"

hth
maybe you should not be such an *****, i dont have time to read 12 pages of comments

thanks ged_782, i overlooked that small detail. i guess i wont be affected, as long as i dont use my card for debit transactions

Old 10-24-2011, 11:47 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,144,809 times
Quote:
What if it's an online payment from my BOA checking account to say, Verizon Wireless?

Old 10-24-2011, 02:07 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
a debit card transaction is any transaction in which you enter your PIN to complete it. if it's used as a credit card (visa, mastercard), it's not debit.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,144,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
a debit card transaction is any transaction in which you enter your PIN to complete it. if it's used as a credit card (visa, mastercard), it's not debit.
I hate to be redundant so please cut me some slack; using my BOA debit card on the Visa side would be okay? WTF is the real difference as it's not a "real" credit card anyhow because the the money comes right out of your account regardless of using it Visa form or debit. I'm so confused now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance