Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,742,521 times

Advertisements

Hey it's Christmas give me a damn gift! My kids want one, too, you ungrateful jerk!

Christmas, a time for rejoicing a birth - and the greed of the American family.

The giving of a gift is your choice, no one else's. The reasons you may or may not want to participate in the level of greed present in your family is not up to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 09:02 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,107,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
In the past, I have spent thousands of dollars $$$ on Christmas gifts for many relatives. I have devoted many hours on weekends and evenings fighting the crowds at the Mall. All for what, a few people saying a quick thank you and then putting the gift away in a closet.

I think I was fooled into believing that I had to buy a gift for everyone to be a regular person and a good family member. This year I have announced that I do not want any gifts or will I buy a gift for any adult in the family. My gifts for the kids will be my time or an experience, not a material good.

Am I wrong? Will people like me destroy the American economy? Will we destroy Christmas?
I don't think you are wrong. I am also tired of stretching my budget and spending countless hours to find affordable but nice gifts for friends and family, and it's rare that I feel like the time and effort I put into it is appreciated. And frankly, I am tired of receiving little gifts that I don't like and end up freecycling. I would much rather just spend time with my loved ones. But don't worry, you won't destroy the economy - there are plenty of people who love to use Christmas as an excuse to spend way more money than they can afford. And you won't destroy Christmas - it's not supposed to be about consumerism.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:55 AM

768 posts, read 2,101,775 times
I haven't read the responses yet, I may find an idea that I like better than what we've done in recent years.

H and I usually don't exchange gifts. We do buy gifts for immediate family members but limit the dollar amount to between $20 and $30. If we can't pay for the gift when we purchase it, we don't buy it. We are not going to go into debt over it.

Honestly, I've had fun picking some of the gifts because I put more thought into coming up with creative ideas instead of the same old standards. (How many Santas does one person need? How many shirts or ties does your brother need?) My personal favorite is to get a game that I know we will all enjoy playing together. It isn't that expensive (especially since I found that one half off at a previous year's after-Christmas sale! ) and we got hours of enjoyment out of it. In addition, it makes what can be a tense or boring day (because almost every family has issues, especially when you throw in grown siblings and their spouses) into a lot of fun.

Get creative with it, make it different AND fun. Show them that the holiday doesn't have to be about money to be enjoyable.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:04 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,407,508 times
I like receiving small inexpensive gifts the most. I am always thrilled with some time of nice smelling lotion or bath gel -- small extravagances that I wouldn't normally buy for myself. Lots of wonderful gifts you can get someone for cheap. One caveat: I would not expect a cheap gift from my boyfriend or husband. But I have neither, so oh, well..

Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,414,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
I don't think you're wrong at all. Christmas shouldn't be about gifts (though there's nothing wrong with exchanging gifts). It seems to me that you told everyone well in advance that you don't want to exchange gifts, so there shouldn't be any hard feelings. You should be able to enjoy the holiday with friends and family, just like everyone else.
I agree, they have commericalized Christmas so much that folks tend to go into deep debt just to participate. What happened to families gathering together and sharing of themselves. If you find somebody that is upset it's just a matter of greed on their part.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:55 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,615,828 times
Lightbulb lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
In the past, I have spent thousands of dollars $$$ on Christmas gifts for many relatives. I have devoted many hours on weekends and evenings fighting the crowds at the Mall. All for what, a few people saying a quick thank you and then putting the gift away in a closet.

I think I was fooled into believing that I had to buy a gift for everyone to be a regular person and a good family member. This year I have announced that I do not want any gifts or will I buy a gift for any adult in the family. My gifts for the kids will be my time or an experience, not a material good.

Am I wrong? Will people like me destroy the American economy? Will we destroy Christmas?
IMO Christmas is destroyed by materialism.

I no longer go crazy at the mall, with the herd. We travel out of the country, or to Hawaii.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:50 PM

261 posts, read 955,404 times
I bake cookies for all the Aunts and uncles, Grandparents get presents from son that he makes and pictures. Friends get small pictures and baked goodies. I spend 100-200 on son (only child) and about 100 for hubby. We have a limit for each other. This year its tighter than usuall so budget for son is about 100. We're putting together scrapbooks for family members instead of buying stuff. Lasts longer than store bought and means more. I understand about the spending loads of money, but at least give a small gift, like baking something or going to a bakery like the other posts suggested. Maybe have kids bake instead of you and you can put on some holiday music and sit back and enjoy the quiet time. JMO

Old 11-08-2007, 02:04 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,550,981 times
Everytime we travel I try to find something unique...like I have a friend that likes bears...we went to Mt St Helen's in Jan and saw some bears made out of Volcanic ash.
In El Pase we found some things for others. I don't think I've bought anything locally yet but I have a few more to go. People like that you thought of them. These aren't expensive, I've bought nothing over $20.00.

I give gifts because I want to, I enjoy it. If I receive something back....Goodie!! If not, that's ok too.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,686,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I like receiving small inexpensive gifts the most. I am always thrilled with some time of nice smelling lotion or bath gel -- small extravagances that I wouldn't normally buy for myself. Lots of wonderful gifts you can get someone for cheap. One caveat: I would not expect a cheap gift from my boyfriend or husband. But I have neither, so oh, well..
I appreciate gifts that are considerate and selected with care. The cost doesn't matter as much as the thought. I love to receive baked goods or handcrafted pieces during the holidays. I'll bake cookies and purchase holiday tins to distribute the cookies to friends and family.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,407,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I appreciate gifts that are considerate and selected with care. The cost doesn't matter as much as the thought. I love to receive baked goods or handcrafted pieces during the holidays. I'll bake cookies and purchase holiday tins to distribute the cookies to friends and family.
I already gave you some cookies, Jinxy... consider it an early xmas gift!

greenie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance