Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,694,032 times

Advertisements

Yum, thanks greenie. Sorry the rep folks won't let me give you any more without "spreading some around" but consider it an IOU. happy xmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 AM

3 posts, read 6,129 times
Default christmas gifts

I know a lot of adults who get greedy around Christmas time for nice gifts. Its one thing when kids are like this, but adults? That's sad. I have a female friend in her 40s who looks forward to all the gifts her women friends will give her at Christmas and birthday. She makes a big deal of it, and rates each gift that she gets on a scale of 1 to 10. She doesn't have kids, so she doesn't have to spend money on any kids at Christmas. I do have kids, also nieces and nephews, and I can't afford to blow money on Christmas presents for my adult friends. I'm tired of feeling expected to get her an extravagant gift.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I like receiving small inexpensive gifts the most. I am always thrilled with some time of nice smelling lotion or bath gel -- small extravagances that I wouldn't normally buy for myself. Lots of wonderful gifts you can get someone for cheap. One caveat: I would not expect a cheap gift from my boyfriend or husband. But I have neither, so oh, well..
Personally, I would rather not get a gift at all, than get any more body products. I am allergic to scented products, and when I get them I have to donate them or throw them out.

I get rid of most of the gifts that I get, I take them to a Salvation Army or Goodwill. I would rather not get gifts at all, except from my husband, and that's it.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:37 AM

37,550 posts, read 61,629,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karinsa View Post
Personally, I would rather not get a gift at all, than get any more body products. I am allergic to scented products, and when I get them I have to donate them or throw them out.

I get rid of most of the gifts that I get, I take them to a Salvation Army or Goodwill. I would rather not get gifts at all, except from my husband, and that's it.
My DW has orange red hair and very fair skin, she is also allergic to many things.

The soaps that are marketed as 'hypoallergenic' will turn her hands into huge scabs. We tried the Amway soap line and she broke out immediately. She contacted their chemists, who denied producing soaps that could do that. They also refused to tell us what chemicals go into their soap.

She has gotten into making her own soaps, as a method of keeping track of exactly what goes into each soap.

She makes our laundry soap.

She makes our dishwasher soap.

She makes our bar soap.

In this last year, she has been playing with adding essential oils to her soaps and so none of them will break out her skin. She makes: lavendar, citrus, lemon, tea tree, mints, scented soaps; and none of them seem to give her any reactions.

She thinks that the difference is the 'emulsifier's that factory made soaps have. They keep the scents evenly mixed in the soap.

She does not use any emulsifiers, and has to be careful when making soaps as many of the added stuff [like oatmeal, or loofah, poppy seed] will settle into layers.

I would humbly suggest that your skin problems may not be the scents, but rather the emulsifiers that corporations use in making their soaps. Or that the scents they are using are petro-chemicals and are not essential oils.

If you try soaps from a home-based business making 'natural' soaps, you may have better luck.

I do wish you luck here.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:53 PM

I also have very fair skin. I think lighter skin is more sensitive.

I think Amway or any other company MUST by law tell you what ingredients are in their products. Contact the FDA if they refuse.

I buy natural soap at health food stores.

Last edited by karinsa; 12-10-2007 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: add more text

Old 12-10-2007, 02:11 PM

37,550 posts, read 61,629,340 times
Quote:
I also have very fair skin. I think lighter skin is more sensitive.

I think Amway or any other company MUST by law tell you what ingredients are in their products. Contact the FDA if they refuse.

I buy natural soap at health food stores.
This occurred years ago. The Amway chemists seemed very insulted at the very idea that she was having allergic reactions.

My DW was forming a lifestyle of watching ingredients and being ever careful of what chemicals she is being exposed to.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:02 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,257,822 times
Quote:
I know a lot of adults who get greedy around Christmas time for nice gifts. Its one thing when kids are like this, but adults? That's sad. I have a female friend in her 40s who looks forward to all the gifts her women friends will give her at Christmas and birthday. She makes a big deal of it, and rates each gift that she gets on a scale of 1 to 10. She doesn't have kids, so she doesn't have to spend money on any kids at Christmas. I do have kids, also nieces and nephews, and I can't afford to blow money on Christmas presents for my adult friends. I'm tired of feeling expected to get her an extravagant gift.
My mother-in-law is the worse.. Not only will she tell you EXACTLY what she wants, but if you dont buy it, she'll completely throw an attitude.

I'm trying to convince them (i.e. her side of the family) that Christmas is for children.. I'd be dam..ed if I worry about adults throwing fits and that perhapse we should only focus on the children..

Of course now I make sure she doesnt get what she "demands" for christmas.. just out of spite.. perhapse thats why she hates me.. perhapse I dont get what she wants because I hate her..

at least the feelings are all festive this time of year..

Old 12-11-2007, 02:15 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,340,840 times
This post struck me.....

Several weeks ago I told my brother and sister's in laws that I am NOT buying them gifts this year. I am tight on money (well not now, got that Xmas bonus , but anyway.... I said it in a nice way - we are all big adults now (over 45) and that is that. My BIL - who makes 3 figures, has no children and already owns every electronics top of the line thingy made - was offended!!!!! Most of the others were relieved we were not going to have to fight the mall to find that perfect gift.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:26 PM
TCK

166 posts, read 566,031 times
Default Used to go all out!

I used to go all out, especially having kids. Started 2 months before. Any extra money, would get just one more thing.

Separated and kids have been told they will get 1 gift each and they seem to be real cool with that. We get a $10 permit and chop down a tree and make a day out of it. They pick 1 or 2 things they want to eat on Christmas Day.
Usually lasanga for Christmas Eve (our tradition).

My estranged husband makes a list for himself to send to all his relatives. From what I understand this year, he actually printed pictures of the items he wanted and attached them to the list - so there is not be any misunderstanding about exactly what he wanted.

Hey I think my kids are more mature then the grown-up they used to live with.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:06 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,793,991 times
I'll chime in, too. I find the holidays to be quite stressful, and try to tone them down for us -- more a relaxation day than a "let me have more" day.

I've asked my family to not send me gifts, and that I can't afford to send them gifts -- there are only 2 people in my immediate family, and one small income -- my extended family have many people in their families and either large or two incomes -- thus, I used to find myself buying for many more people than they were for me, and I was in debt over it. I can no longer afford to be in debt, especially for grown children, or adults for whom I have no clue what they even like anymore since I rarely see them in person. I don't know if they feel obligated or stressed by buying so many presents, however, I hope that my not asking for gifts helps them with their budgets and time. I know that many of us are so short on time (and often money), that I think some people appreciate the relief that comes with not having to exchange presents, but instead exchange good wishes.

I remember once being told that if I didn't have the money to buy "better and more expensive gifts" that I "should start saving for Christmas in June," so that "they" could have "good" gifts. I really didn't think that was the object of gift giving, and although once in a while someone would appreciate the candies I made by hand, or something else I made (which actually involved more time and thought), it was seldom to hear good feedback. I do have one family member who made some presents, and those are the ones I remember the most, and actually still use!

I exchange with my daughter, and a few friends, but we are very happy to have an inexpensive but thoughtful gift. I don't like the idea of giving a gift just because it's Christmas. In fact, I more enjoy giving things when it's not a holiday or special occasion, because you're showing that you're just thinking of the person, and it's not an obligation.

I know that some people really get into the whole "got to get a better gift than someone else," or "I don't want to spend the money on them even if I have it," or "I demand that their gift be equal to what I give."

I am not the norm, though, so it's not good to compare to me. I just feel that the holidays are quiet times to reflect on life, to enjoy and be thankful for those in your life who care about you, and just appreciating people.

Since my life and values are pretty different than many with whom I would exchange gifts, it's kind of difficult to do without feeling obligated to meet particular standards. I now feel more comfortable just giving my best wishes, hoping everyone is well and happy, and exchanging with a few friends with whom I have close contact. Maybe it sounds like I'm a Scrooge, but I don't feel that way. I just think there is way too much emphasis on "stuff," and how much they cost, and then comparing them. I liked the "old days" of Christmas where when I was little we got a few gifts -- many things that we really needed, like night wear and socks, or little candies and a few other things. I dislike the stress and expectations of the holidays now, and for me, I feel okay not celebrating by buying gifts that often are not appreciated or acknowledged.

Each person is different, each budget is different, and my only hope is that what we value is each other, regardless of a present. Happy holidays to you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance