Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 PM

10,228 posts, read 16,345,654 times

Advertisements

I very rarely use credit cards for purchases. But I almost used it at Target a couple of weeks ago and, boy, am I glad I didn't!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 11:30 PM

44,705 posts, read 61,900,609 times
If you shopped Target in that time frame and used a credit card or debit card just call the issuing company and get a new card with a new number.
If someone has your number they may wait months when things cool down before they try to use your account, so a new number/card will prevent that from happening.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:18 AM

51,314 posts, read 36,980,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They want to keep this hush hush. It would wreck their biggest selling season.

I don't use debit cards. That's YOUR money they are stealing.
I use a CC instead. When it's the bank's money they are stealing the bank is quick to react.
It wasn't news because this happens on a smaller scale all the time. Target was news because it was 40 million people affected. I did shop at Target during that time, but thank goodness only used my Target card, which I will keep an eye on.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,476,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They want to keep this hush hush. It would wreck their biggest selling season.

I don't use debit cards. That's YOUR money they are stealing.
I use a CC instead. When it's the bank's money they are stealing the bank is quick to react.
Actually they announced the security breach as soon as they found out about it....

What the articles I've read have said that it isn't the big transactions you need to worry about, it's the small ones, $5 dollars here, $8 dollars there. They are testing the accounts to see if they are valid and then sell that down the road on the fraud market. The articles have also said that it could be months before you see anything. They have warned debit card users to get a new card but credit card users have protection under their card agreements...but I'd still be tempted to get new cards either way...what a MESS.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:31 AM

800 posts, read 1,303,768 times
good thing the only card i use at target is a target specific credit card

Old 12-20-2013, 07:37 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,968,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If you shopped Target in that time frame and used a credit card or debit card just call the issuing company and get a new card with a new number.
If someone has your number they may wait months when things cool down before they try to use your account, so a new number/card will prevent that from happening.

Excellent Idea!

Old 12-20-2013, 10:23 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,968,488 times
Quote:
Without anyone noticing, one or more intruders installed code on the discount retailer's systems to methodically collect and transmit account data from millions of cards.
How could this take place if they have a closed private network data system?

I like Target however I don't like "any" company that I can't trust with my credit/debit card.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
good thing the only card i use at target is a target specific credit card
Those were compromised too....

Old 12-20-2013, 11:01 AM

merged 2 threads on the same topic

Old 12-20-2013, 11:14 AM

24,425 posts, read 12,967,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Actually they announced the security breach as soon as they found out about it....
Target dropped the ball big time on this. The breach began on (Wednesday) Nov 17th but Target didn't become aware of it until (Sunday) Dec 15th (yikes). Target claims that when they became aware of the breach they had immediately told authorities and financial institutions, but, Target waited until (Thursday) Dec 19th (yesterday) to acknowledge the breach to the general public .. which was one day after the breach became known because of independent news reports, and 5 days after Target became aware of the breach. Target is being hammered by the Fed and by many states AG's because of their delay in telling the general public about the breach.

The credit card and debit card info that had been stolen has already been selling for awhile..
Quote:
Credit and debit card accounts stolen in a recent data breach at retail giant Target have been flooding underground black markets in recent weeks, selling in batches of one million cards and going for anywhere from $20 to more than $100 per card, KrebsOnSecurity has learned.
Cards Stolen in Target Breach Flood Underground Markets — Krebs on Security

Good tips on what to do if you had used your credit/debit card at Target..
Use your credit card at Target? Here's what to do if your data might have been swiped - NBC News.com

An FYI for debit card users, there is no law that says banks are required to reimburse overdraft fees that they, themselves, may charge. If they do reimburse the fees then they do it as a courtesy. But, bank overdraft fees are not the only fees a debit card user may face. If the debit card user had used their debit card to make purchases with other merchants, or in bill paying, then they may face (bad check) fees from those merchants and from the companies they had paid bills to. That would mean having to contact those merchants/companies and explain what had happened and hope those merchants/companies will waive the fees. None of the merchants or companies are required to waive the fees, again, if it is done then it would be done as a courtesy. (debit cards suck!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance