Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:03 AM

24,009 posts, read 12,803,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
They are now saying that home and email addresses were also compromised and upwards of 70 million people were affected vs the 40 million previously reported.
Which makes it the largest breach to ever happen, and Target had been, and still is, in denial about different things pertaining to this.

Target: Stolen information involved up to 70 million people

Quote:
The big box retailer said that a probe into the hacking of customers' personal data found that stolen informationseparate from payment information already reported—included names, mailing addresses, phone numbers or email addresses for tens of millions. The new figure was significantly higher than the 40 million the company initially reported.
Although Target previously stated the breach wouldn't compromise card holders' accounts, the dramatic rise in the number of people affected called that assumption into question.
Quote:
Experts say thieves may find a way to manipulate sensitive data to withdraw money from card holder accounts, or make other unauthorized transactions. In the wake of the mass theft, the retailer vigorously disputed reports that personal identification numbers (PINs) had been compromised.
If Krebs, or another media outlet, had not broken the story then Target would have happily let the pubic remain in the dark about this until after the holiday shopping season. Don't trust Target when they say something has not been compromised. I would suggest that people not only change their pysical debit or credit card, they should also change the pin numbers, and, change the log in info and password for their bank, for the credit or debit card that had been used. Even with doing that people should still keep an eye on their account(s) and credit reports.

Target will soon be coming out with free credit monitoring and ID theft protection for those who had used their credit/debit cards at Target during the breach period, and everyone who had used their cards at the store during that period should take full advantage of it. But they haven't set it up yet so don't bother calling customer service about it. It may be another week or longer before it's up and running.
https://corporate.target.com/discove...ng-to-all-gues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 04:03 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,425,550 times
Target now saying that up to 110 million are affected and possibly 2 attacks going after different information so you may be compromised even if you didn't use your credit/debit card...

Target says data breach puts up to 110 million people at risk | Star Tribune

Old 01-10-2014, 04:08 PM

107,102 posts, read 109,424,019 times
What makes no sense to me is the credit card companies have been throwing severe restrictions on cards that were used at target.

Some are not allowing overseas transactions or implementing daily limits ,etc etc.

But why not just mail out new cards? I don't get it.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
What makes no sense to me is the credit card companies have been throwing severe restrictions on cards that were used at target.

Some are not allowing overseas transactions or implementing daily limits ,etc etc.

But why not just mail out new cards? I don't get it.
Because it costs them $4-5/card to send out...or at least that is what they are saying....

Old 01-11-2014, 03:16 AM

seems to me by limiting the transactions instead they are losing far more than 4 or 5 bucks in fees and interst.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:15 AM

i found out chase is re-issuing new cards but about 2 million cards have to be re-issued so it will take time.

"in the mean time Chase Bank customers are facing daily limits on their spending if they used a card at one of the many Target locations. According to the bank's website those who used their credit or debit cards to shop at Target between November 27th and December 15th will now have daily limits of $250 at ATM's and $1,000 for purchases"

Old 01-11-2014, 05:22 AM

708 posts, read 1,063,552 times
I just heard on the news that Neiman Marcus customers were also compromised, starting in December.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnj1970 View Post
I just heard on the news that Neiman Marcus customers were also compromised, starting in December.
Along with three other retailers being compromised. For some odd reason, they won't release the names of the other three retailers yet.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 PM

Target has opened up their free year long credit monitoring for those who shopped at Target
https://corporate.target.com/discove...theft-protecti

Keep in mind that it only monitors Experian. If an ID thief tries to gain credit in your name and the company they try it with uses a different CRA, other than Experian, then it won't be caught by the free monitoring.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:43 AM

I signed up yesterday and had our kids do so as well as they used their debit cards during that time too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance