Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 03:06 PM

31,690 posts, read 41,118,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Which makes the data on younger workers even more worrisome, since very few of them will have pensions AND they aren't saving enough money.
Stoutboy, I know you mean well and have good intentions however please realize. Much of the information you share is also used by hate groups trying to place much of the blame for our issues on our high level of diversity and our multi cultural society. They are fond of comparing nations to us and attributing our shortcomings to our makeup in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 03:08 PM

107,119 posts, read 109,424,019 times
excellent point there buddy.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:20 PM

21,938 posts, read 25,303,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
SS is composed of two parts, welfare and taxes. There is no legal right to SS benefits though. Now compare that to an annuity. Whether you pay into an annuity for 45 years or one year you will be legally entitled to the benefits laid out in the contract.
Apples aren't oranges. Did you have a point, or just pointing out the obvious? I never said it was an annuity. I said it was a pension. And it's primarily composed of three parts, old-age, survivor, and disability benefits. Those three parts are welfare. The welfare is paid for with taxes.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:36 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,617,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Apples aren't oranges. Did you have a point, or just pointing out the obvious? I never said it was an annuity. I said it was a pension. And it's primarily composed of three parts, old-age, survivor, and disability benefits. Those three parts are welfare. The welfare is paid for with taxes.

Wow, all that and you're only correct on one point. The [social security] paid for in taxes part.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:40 PM

Given the differences between median and mean, that data does not comfort me in the slightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most folks don't have much until later in life when the families are done.

don't forget this data is before markets and homes increased as much as they did today.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:47 PM

it is still low but no where near as bad as what the media likes to put out there .

there are stories on those numbers too. many hardly work, many are on disability and will never save , others have pensions ,still others insurance products. all that dilutes the numbers down.

you are wasting your time trying to count what others have.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:00 PM

21,938 posts, read 25,303,105 times
Quote:
Wow, all that and you're only correct on one point. The [social security] paid for in taxes part.
So you're really unaware that social security is primarily old-age, survivor, and disability benefits? That's interesting. You're either very ignorant or have very odd opinions that are directly contradictory to our government. Here's a brief pamphlet if your interested in educating yourself as to what "social security" is. It isn't my opinions on either of these things. It's straight from the Social Security Administration. It isn't a matter of my being correct or incorrect. They aren't my opinions. I'm just regurgitating what SSA says. If you find that controversial, that's fine, you're entitled to wear the tinfoil. I wear the tinfoil too on occasion. I don't believe everything the government says.

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/progdesc/sspus/oasdi.pdf

You're unaware that it's welfare?

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/progd...pus/appeni.pdf

Last edited by Malloric; 03-08-2014 at 04:11 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 04:22 PM

I know exactly what social security is. It is insurance. What it is not, as your nonsensical argument suggests, is a 'pension', or sillier still, 'welfare'. You most definitely wear the tinfoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So you're really unaware that social security is primarily old-age, survivor, and disability benefits? That's interesting. You're either very ignorant or have very odd opinions that are directly contradictory to our government. Here's a brief pamphlet if your interested in educating yourself as to what "social security" is. It isn't my opinions on either of these things. It's straight from the Social Security Administration. It isn't a matter of my being correct or incorrect. They aren't my opinions. I'm just regurgitating what SSA says. If you find that controversial, that's fine, you're entitled to wear the tinfoil. I wear the tinfoil too on occasion. I don't believe everything the government says.

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/progdesc/sspus/oasdi.pdf

You're unaware that it's welfare?

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/progd...pus/appeni.pdf

Old 03-08-2014, 04:36 PM

ss is a pensionized income stream and thats all that counts. annuities are insurance products too but what they provide is called a pensionized income stream.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:40 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,023,106 times
Quote:
I found the information in this report to be quite concerning http://www.ebri.org/pdf/surveys/rcs/....Age.FINAL.pdf

Basically, only 1 in 4 workers aged 55+ have saved $250k or more.

I'm not surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance