Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 03:39 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times

Advertisements

Here's the link to the article:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/studen...150749696.html

I read the article and thought, wait a minute, no, student debt didn't nearly destroy the family -- their choices, and their kids' choices, were simply not particularly good from a financial perspective. For example:

- The parents had apparently saved nothing for college, even though they had 4 kids that they wanted to PUT through college.
- Three out of the four kids decided to go to private colleges. Sometimes private colleges are actually less expensive than public ones -- IF the family gets financial aid, but this family didn't.
- The parents refinanced their house (after almost losing it when the dad lost his job) to pay for a daughter's wedding.
- The parents say they have no retirement savings. SERIOUSLY???
- And on a more basic level, they chose to have FOUR kids. Sorry, but kids are expensive. If you choose to have 4 kids, please don't complain later about how expensive it is to support them. (I know that may sound harsh, but come on!!)

Am I nuts, or are those just not very smart financial decisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 03:47 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,001 times
Can I get an "AMEN" for Karen?

After reading the article, I have to agree. These parents took an extremely naive and cavalier approach to both family planning and family finances. By the year 2000, I thought it would have been obvious that the increasing cost of tertiary education would necessitate some saving. Amongst white collar families, I thought it was practically instinctual knowledge that federal assistance doesn't exist for married professionals pulling in salaries commensurate with that demographic designation.

It sounds like the kids didn't earn scholarships or at least didn't choose to attend a school that may have included some scholarship money in the offer package.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:03 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,024,401 times
Amen, and Amen! Reps to you both.

Financial decisions...choosing a spouse.....people, -- hello -- choices and behaviors have consequences.
The headline alone reflects a mindset and a society where more and more people don't understand the concept of making responsible decisions..

Old 05-23-2014, 04:26 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
I can't say it any better than Karen already did. Agreed 100%

All I would add is that even if the kids wanted big names on their degrees, they could have cut their expenses in half or more by just going to a local public university for the first 2 years to get most of their general education classes out of the way, especially if they studied hard and got some assistance for the last 2 years at a big name private school. It doesn't take that much effort to find out the requirements for this from your end goal school and make sure you take the right classes to meet their requirements.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:36 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,330 times
My favorite line in the article is this:

“At the time, [the financial aid office] made it seem like the loans were free money, like it was the solution and there was no conversation about what it would actually mean when I graduated," she says. "I don't think anyone explained it to my parents either.

Both parents hold graduate degrees but don't know the meaning of the word LOAN.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:37 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
All I can say is that I hope the children all chip in to support their parents when they become elderly and can no longer work.

That is a lot of money to put into college educations, and it doesn't sound like any of the children became doctors, lawyers, or dentists.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:48 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,438 times
Because a headline reading "Lack of financial planning and poor financial choices nearly destroyed this family's finances" just doesn't get the same click through as blaming it all on student loans. I think Yahoo does these stories on purpose, they must just be link bait, I wouldn't be surprised if they made up the couple. But it's too irresistible not to comment.

I'll be the first to discuss how out of control college expense have gotten, it really is different these days. But this couple really did make every poor decision available to put them in their current situation, and it's clear from the article student loans were not a one-off situation. They had many other choices along the way, junior colleges, state schools, more lucrative degrees, cheaper wedding because of the already high debt load, it just seems that they never learned to say no.

Something about college makes people do crazy things with money. It must be because of how hard it is to put a value on the education, or even if you do everyone will start throwing out how they are bettering themselves, learning invaluable life skills, etc. I mean how dare we put a price on these kids dreams. But this reluctance to properly evaluate the cost benefit of colleges is really damaging to the average middle class family. Music Therapy for the elderly sounds like a wonderfully rewarding career, but at $150,000 and a $34,000 earning potential it just doesn't make sense.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:38 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
My dad died weeks after I entered a four year university as a junior (I did my first few years at a community college where I knew all my credits would transfer)... so my free ride was over. I got loans and worked. Didn't kill me to do that.

My niece and nephew also got a lot of grants and scholarships from all over -- a little here and a little there, and they both worked through college. And through their masters degrees (although some inheritance money helped pay for that). They got out with no debt at all.

I think far too many kids think it's a given they are going to college, and then parents sacrifice themselves to get them there. If kids want to go to college, they will find a way to go college. And these horrid predatory loans are NOT the way....

Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 PM

592 posts, read 802,945 times
Didn't read the article, Karen's response summed it up nicely. College is a different animal now... The main goal is not to educate, it is PROFIT. That's why you see all these commercials now for these colleges that no one has ever heard of... like New Hampshire Tech online, etc.. Those schools are costly and people are taking out loans to get a degree at these pseudo schools. I think there is a fair amount of planning that should go into a college education, but I also think the system itself is very flawed. This coming from someone with student debt.... learned my lesson the hard way, now I'm enjoying life

Old 05-23-2014, 07:52 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
I said the same thing when I read this article earlier. These are educated people with good jobs, why didn't they have any money saved by the time they have 4 kids attending college?

Also why are they paying for any of their childrens college if they are not financially comfortable enough to do so? Plenty of people, including myself, took out student loans to go to college. There are financially responsible ways to get a good degree. ie go to a state college or get scholarships.

I really hate these types of "woe is me" financial stories because most of the people being written about make consistently horrible decisions and the writers tend to gloss over that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance