Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,481,065 times

Advertisements

Personally I would put them into a longer term CD to earn the highest rate possible and then if you need the cash at some point, most banks will give you a loan with that as collateral. The interest you would pay for the few months you would need it would be much less then any early withdrawal penalties. You could stagger half at 6 months and half at 12 months but I would put it all in a 12 month CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 11:16 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,580,644 times
With current rates don't assume longer term is a higher rate. Check around. Depending on how/when the banks need the money, there are times that short-term is better money than long-term. Also, the difference in the rates may not justify the additional rate you'd pay for the loan to gain your liquidity in an emergency.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:57 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,539,680 times
A Treasury money market fund.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,281,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikaka805 View Post
Hello Everybody!!!

I have finally saved 6 months worth of living expenses...but what should I do with it? Do you recommend I put it just into a bank account? CD? Mutual Funds?

Since it is an emergency fund I know it needs to be liquid, but I don't want it just sitting there doing nothing. However, for CDs there are penalties for withdrawing money early.

I appreciate all your help!
Congragulations!!.. Thats a great accomplishment.

Do you have a home? If so, go get a home equity line of credit, apply the funds onto your home loan.. The interest you would save is more then what you'll make on any savings, and the cash is always redily available.

If you dont, forget this idea and listen to other opinions..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance