Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which socioeconomic class am I in?
Upper class 8 13.33%
Upper middle class 26 43.33%
Middle class 15 25.00%
Working class 3 5.00%
Poor 8 13.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:31 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,973,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hello! I was just wondering which social/economic class I would be considered to be in. I haven't given it much thought, but I'm sure some of you experts on here can chime in on which social class you think I'm in.

Here are the facts about me to help you make your judgment:
  • I am single, homosexual, 30 and make $90K
  • I have a net worth of about $80K (no debt)
  • I drive a compact sports car that I bought brand new for $20K back in 2008
  • I live in Fairfield County, CT, where 30% of the homes are worth over $1 million
  • I am surrounded by many of America's top 1% of income earners
  • My parents are multi millionaires and own a huge house on 30 acres of land here in CT (looking forward to a wonderful inheritance someday!)
  • My parents also have a vacation home in Florida and another beach house in CT with a boat and multiple SUV's and sports cars
  • My parents own like 20 houses in Hartford and collect rental income from lower class minorities
  • My parents are big time Republicans
  • My parents paid for my entire undergraduate college!
  • I buy most of my groceries at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and eat at least 50% organic
  • I eat sushi every Tuesday for lunch at work
  • I am always outdoors going hiking and trying to stay healthy
  • I travel the country extensively
  • I am an atheist and usually vote Democrat
  • I listen to NPR, Thom Hartmann, Robert Reich and watch MSNBC all the time
  • I'm always on Facebook making posts and trying to get attention
  • I am renting a newly renovated 1 bd apartment for $1,750 a month (month-to-month lease)
  • I wear nice brand clothing like Armani Exchange, Express, but also lower end stuff from Kohl's
  • I get a new haircut every 3 weeks and use two different hair gels every morning
  • I have a Bose Wave Radio and surround sound in my living room, an Oreck vacuum cleaner and two North Face jackets
  • Everything in my apartment is super new and clean (OCD)
  • I have a master's degree in accounting
  • I lived in Manhattan for two years when I was in my 20's
So, based on the above facts about me, would you say I'm in the middle class? Working class? Upper middle? Upper?

Sometimes I think I'm in the upper middle class because the median household income in America is $51K and I'm way above that. But other times I think i'm in the middle class because my metro area has a median household income of $80K. Anyway, I voted for "Upper middle class" for myself in the poll, but I'm interested to hear everyone else's thoughts!
By national standards your upper middle class. By your specific region your middle class. When you used to live with your parents you were considered upper class but not anymore since your on your own.

In regards to the parts I bolded.....and this is a serious question, I'm not trying to be funny. Why in the world did you think any of that has anything to do with what socioeconomic class your in??

Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,999,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
By national standards your upper middle class. By your specific region your middle class. When you used to live with your parents you were considered upper class but not anymore since your on your own.

In regards to the parts I bolded.....and this is a serious question, I'm not trying to be funny. Why in the world did you think any of that has anything to do with what socioeconomic class your in??
Well because I figured that certain personal behaviors, preferences and attributes are telling of the social class that someone belongs too, right? For example, a lower class person probably isn't going to shop at Whole Foods or get a hair cut every 3 weeks like I do.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:00 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,566,947 times
sigh . . .

Old 07-21-2014, 10:01 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,064,789 times
Quote:
Well, I'm planning to buy a house within the next few years.
Um, ok. I don't see how that relates to your original post, though.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 PM

13,827 posts, read 30,003,122 times
You're upper class from upper crust.

Not poor, working, middle, or upper middle by any stretch of the imagination, even if you live in a particularly wealthy area.

Even if your personal SHTF, you still have $80K of net worth, which many working families in this country cannot say. And your parents are always there to throw you a life yacht.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,064,789 times
Quote:
Well because I figured that certain personal behaviors, preferences and attributes are telling of the social class that someone belongs to, right?
Possibly. But per my previous post, you must fight the urge to care about that stuff if you actually want to be happy. Focus more on being a good human being instead of social status.

To have a good and meaningful life, you need to overcome your insatiability. Most people, at best, spend their lives in a long pursuit of happiness. So today’s successful person writes out a list of desires, then starts chasing them down and satisfying the desires. The problem is that each desire, when satisfied, tends to be replaced by a new desire. So the person continues to chase. Yet after a lifetime of pursuit, the person ends up no more satisfied than he was at the beginning. Thus, he may end up wasting his life.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/...to-solid-gold/

Old 07-21-2014, 11:18 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,973,972 times
Quote:
Well because I figured that certain personal behaviors, preferences and attributes are telling of the social class that someone belongs too, right? For example, a lower class person probably isn't going to shop at Whole Foods or get a hair cut every 3 weeks like I do.
Since your curious in regards to the factors that determine socioeconomical class you can start here:

Social class in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It will give you a basic summery.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,143,553 times
People seem to be leaving out the socio part of socioeconomic. From what I've read on this thread you're struggling to get out of the lower classes. You're either a troll, completely clueless or watch too much Housewives of New York. "Money can't buy you class" indeed!

Old 07-22-2014, 07:55 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,215,451 times
i consider anyone who brags about their lifestyle on the interwebs to be poor

Old 07-22-2014, 09:08 AM

800 posts, read 1,301,972 times
you are middle class for where you live, your parents are upper class. your thread is ridiculous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance