Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 05:41 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,289,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

Mary Kay gives them cheap costume jewelry as prizes. The fact that this motivates women, sadly says something about women.
It's not just women- think of the Cheap Crap from China prizes kids want to earn when they're selling cookie dough or wrapping paper and the ripoff "claw" vending machines where people will keep putting in money because they're SURE they're gonna get a prize on the next grab. MLM management feeds on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 05:45 AM

5,468 posts, read 4,106,210 times
[quote=PesachSeder;56332382]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbelt View Post

MLM= Moms Lying to Moms.

Moms Losing Money.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:40 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,670,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The successful reps receive a lot more than that. Years ago, after being roped into attending a Mary Kay presentation, the rep called each of us at the party at least twice a week for a YEAR. I am not exaggerating. (She drove one of those pink Cadillacs; do they still have those?) I had no idea how relentless some of these reps were. This rep did not take "no" for an answer.
I'd have been polite when she called the first time.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:42 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,669,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
But why did you give the names? If you were my friend and had given out my name so that I could be a sales target, I would be PISSED.
I always wondered about this too. My wife during her brief time doing Mary Kay always had people give her 10 names and numbers too, but I can’t believe people so willingly do that given, I agree, I’d be ticked off! I don’t even know 10 people honestly whose numbers I’d give out unless I picked 10 people who don’t live anywhere near me lol.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:20 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,441,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The successful reps receive a lot more than that. Years ago, after being roped into attending a Mary Kay presentation, the rep called each of us at the party at least twice a week for a YEAR. I am not exaggerating. (She drove one of those pink Cadillacs; do they still have those?) I had no idea how relentless some of these reps were. This rep did not take "no" for an answer.
The pink Cadillac is not given to the reps totally free....it's like a leased car. The big lie of Mary Kay is that you get a free car....it's not free at all.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
It's not just women- think of the Cheap Crap from China prizes kids want to earn when they're selling cookie dough or wrapping paper and the ripoff "claw" vending machines where people will keep putting in money because they're SURE they're gonna get a prize on the next grab. MLM management feeds on that.
OMG, yes! It is like the claw machine. Perfect example.

Kids love those claw machines; if they never outgrow that, they wind up in MLMs as adults...

Old 10-06-2019, 09:58 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,289,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbelt View Post
Most unsold MLM products eventually end up in a dumpster but all of those products have been paid for from a corporate perspective.
I've seen some creative "donations"- our church has a box for items for the homeless- mostly food, but personal care items are accepted, too. Someone added a half-dozen jars of "Apricot body scrub". Yeah, I'm sure the homeless will enjoy that in their Jacuzzis. I also saw some foot-care kit donated as a door prize for a Toastmasters conference.

Wonder if they deducted their cost or the retail cost. (I know what the IRS requires- just curious whether they complied.)

Old 10-06-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I've seen some creative "donations"- our church has a box for items for the homeless- mostly food, but personal care items are accepted, too. Someone added a half-dozen jars of "Apricot body scrub". Yeah, I'm sure the homeless will enjoy that in their Jacuzzis. I also saw some foot-care kit donated as a door prize for a Toastmasters conference.

Wonder if they deducted their cost or the retail cost. (I know what the IRS requires- just curious whether they complied.)
They donate it because it's filling up their garage or their basement.

I've seen tons of MLM products donated.

Hey, I'd take it if it was free.

A woman at my church is using her MLM products to do fundraisers for mission trips, and she'll put it on facebook. She also will host a charity fundraiser to get people to buy it, but who knows if she really donates the proceeds to the charity. Maybe she does, maybe she doesn't. But I'd rather make a straight donation to the charity on my own. I think she's probably desperate at this point.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:48 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,202,411 times
[quote=VTsnowbird;56336930]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post

Moms Losing Money.
Morons Losing Money

Old 10-06-2019, 11:19 AM

736 posts, read 458,613 times
Most Loose Money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance