Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2019, 10:44 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,201,421 times

Advertisements

I got sucked in recently having a Cutco representative come to give a demonstration which originally was going to be at my house, but then ended up at my friend's house instead. I told the young gal that I wasn't interested in buying knives, and she told me she would earn money just by watching the demonstration, so I caved. She's a young girl with small kids and I know she's just trying to provide for her family, so I went not knowing what I was getting into.

She was super friendly, did her whole Cutco knife speel, and how'd off how easily the knives could cut through tough fruits, cut a penny, etc. I was even thinking maybe I'd buy something small for my husband for his birthday. So I asked her how much the veggie peeler was. She said it was 120.00. That's when I knew that even the smallest of accessories was WAY out of my price range. The knives were so expensive there was no way I could afford them, if have to make payments for months!

So it came down to the end and she's asking what we'd like to buy, and I said I'm sorry I told you I can't afford anything. So she had me write down ten names of friends that she could call and basically bother. I left empty handed and texted every friend on that list, which I only gave four names, and told them who she was and what she wanted so that they knew what they'd be getting into, since I did not.

It's been a long time since I've gone to one of those home business thing, and now I remember why. However Cutco by far was the most expensive of the bunch! Usually i could find something cheapish to buy, like a small candle, or something, nope not with Cutco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 10:02 PM

214 posts, read 141,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I got sucked in recently having a Cutco representative come to give a demonstration which originally was going to be at my house, but then ended up at my friend's house instead. I told the young gal that I wasn't interested in buying knives, and she told me she would earn money just by watching the demonstration, so I caved. She's a young girl with small kids and I know she's just trying to provide for her family, so I went not knowing what I was getting into.

She was super friendly, did her whole Cutco knife speel, and how'd off how easily the knives could cut through tough fruits, cut a penny, etc. I was even thinking maybe I'd buy something small for my husband for his birthday. So I asked her how much the veggie peeler was. She said it was 120.00. That's when I knew that even the smallest of accessories was WAY out of my price range. The knives were so expensive there was no way I could afford them, if have to make payments for months!

So it came down to the end and she's asking what we'd like to buy, and I said I'm sorry I told you I can't afford anything. So she had me write down ten names of friends that she could call and basically bother. I left empty handed and texted every friend on that list, which I only gave four names, and told them who she was and what she wanted so that they knew what they'd be getting into, since I did not.

It's been a long time since I've gone to one of those home business thing, and now I remember why. However Cutco by far was the most expensive of the bunch! Usually i could find something cheapish to buy, like a small candle, or something, nope not with Cutco.
At least you'll have a knife to look at for years. Imagine how much it costs, over time, to drink diet shakes daily for even a year or two. The point is, MLMs get you one way or another. One big purchase, or small repetitive charges over time all adds up to the same amount.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:07 PM

214 posts, read 141,166 times
[quote=CaptainNJ;56315600]
I know some women just want the satisfaction of earning money and doing something they view as productive.

A fact the the MLM industry is keenly aware of and targets accordingly. While a $2 plastic trophy may not buy groceries, its a great motivator for keeping MLM'ers hanging in a few extra months while losing money.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:03 AM

9,991 posts, read 7,910,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
We got two porcelain cookie pans from Pampered Chef, really expensive, both immediately broke the first time we used them into 27 pieces just by being put into the oven. What am I missing here?! Why wouldn’t cookie pans always be metal?!?
I've been using my Pampered Chef stoneware to bake perfect cookies for 20 years. They never burn, perfect every time. Much better than metal pans. So when my niece got engaged, I thought I'd get her one. But no, I read the reviews on PC and tons of people saying theirs broke on the first use. I guess there has been a change in how they make them.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:24 AM

31,769 posts, read 40,914,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbelt View Post
At least you'll have a knife to look at for years. Imagine how much it costs, over time, to drink diet shakes daily for even a year or two. The point is, MLMs get you one way or another. One big purchase, or small repetitive charges over time all adds up to the same amount.
this is specific to my own knowledge but it bothers me that these shake companies use low end ingredients and promote them as being better for whatever reason. they always charge a premium price. for example, most of them use pea protein because it is cheaper than alternatives (most popular being whey and there are differences within the whey options also). but of course they are marketing that crappy pea protein as "vegan" to make it like its a positive thing and still charging more than what you would pay for a higher quality whey protein.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:13 AM

736 posts, read 459,620 times
[quote=Toolbelt;56329268]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I know some women just want the satisfaction of earning money and doing something they view as productive.

A fact the the MLM industry is keenly aware of and targets accordingly. While a $2 plastic trophy may not buy groceries, its a great motivator for keeping MLM'ers hanging in a few extra months while losing money.
MLM= Moms Lying to Moms.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:16 AM

132,008 posts, read 12,364,507 times
I hate those parties I just say NO.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:54 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,684,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post

But why did you give the names? If you were my friend and had given out my name so that I could be a sales target, I would be PISSED.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:19 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,469,381 times
[quote=Toolbelt;56329268]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

Mary Kay gives them cheap costume jewelry as prizes. The fact that this motivates women, sadly says something about women.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:13 AM

26,940 posts, read 27,156,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Mary Kay gives them cheap costume jewelry as prizes.
The successful reps receive a lot more than that. Years ago, after being roped into attending a Mary Kay presentation, the rep called each of us at the party at least twice a week for a YEAR. I am not exaggerating. (She drove one of those pink Cadillacs; do they still have those?) I had no idea how relentless some of these reps were. This rep did not take "no" for an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance