Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2019, 08:09 AM

214 posts, read 140,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The tax write-offs are negligible unless the person earns a certain amount in the MLM. If someone earned only $200 all year long are they getting a huge tax write-off?
Good luck trying to write off half your mortgage as an expense while receiving $200 in business revenue for the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 08:26 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,153,464 times
I've noticed that when people get sucked into an MLM, it's always because of greed, plain and simple. And when greed takes over, a cult mentality comes on as well that will cause women to be phony just to get a sale.

When my husband and I first got married years ago I moved to his town and instantly received tons of invitations to "parties". Wanting to make friends I attended a bunch (even though we just received a bunch of new wedding gifts). These women were so friendly to me, but then I realized it was only because of me being a potential sale and not me as a potential friend. When I would say "no thank you" you could see the bubbly smile melt off their faces and instantly turn to disapproval.

I had a friend who was into an MLM and her "Upline leader" would train new hires in how to find customers. They would go to places like Hobby Lobby or Target and look for an obvious stay and home mom with young children who looked lonely. They were to compliment the woman on her appearance then invite her for a "free facial". In a world where so many people long for friends I detest MLM's for this very reason. Sellers lie to themselves with the cruel tactics they use just to make money.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:11 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,280,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I've noticed that when people get sucked into an MLM, it's always because of greed, plain and simple. And when greed takes over, a cult mentality comes on as well that will cause women to be phony just to get a sale.

When my husband and I first got married years ago I moved to his town and instantly received tons of invitations to "parties". Wanting to make friends I attended a bunch (even though we just received a bunch of new wedding gifts). These women were so friendly to me, but then I realized it was only because of me being a potential sale and not me as a potential friend. When I would say "no thank you" you could see the bubbly smile melt off their faces and instantly turn to disapproval.

I had a friend who was into an MLM and her "Upline leader" would train new hires in how to find customers. They would go to places like Hobby Lobby or Target and look for an obvious stay and home mom with young children who looked lonely. They were to compliment the woman on her appearance then invite her for a "free facial". In a world where so many people long for friends I detest MLM's for this very reason. Sellers lie to themselves with the cruel tactics they use just to make money.
Ironically, joining an MLM is the fastest way to lose existing friends. You'll make a bunch of new "friends" in the scheme with you but they'll last only as long as you both remain in the pyramid.

To that last bolded quote; even as they're losing money themselves, the huns continue to try to lure new people in with promises of easy riches. Abandoning integrity and putting ethical behavior aside is a practical requirement of being a "boss babe".

Old 09-25-2019, 11:45 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,438,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbelt View Post
Because 90% of MLM victims don't even know the term MLM, nor do they know what an income disclosure is. Most only perform the basic research after they've already signed up. The typical rep is gone within 3 months, but not before spending some money. And because they are trained to equate failure with not trying hard enough, they blame themselves rather than the business model. Most write it off as merely a failed experiment without realizing that by failing, they have served their purpose to the industry.
Well not only do they not know what an income disclosure is, they don't understand what being a business owner really means. They think they own a business. They refer to themselves as business owners. They refer to themselves as entrepreneurs. Some of them don't even know how to subtract their expenses from their earnings so it seems basic math ability is lacking also. We live in a very ignorant society.

I'm in a mom's of multiples group and they are all involved in MLMs. Some are involved in multiple ones. When they fail in one, they join a new one hoping it will be better or different. They assume it's a problem with the product being sold. They host parties and nobody shows up to them, or maybe one person does.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:08 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,668,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

MLM is sold / promoted on the TAX DEDUCTIONS of having a business... not on INCOME Few break even. (hope not if using as a write off)
Hey, you know what a better strategy is? Don't lose money.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:58 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,847,530 times
its a shame that this kind of thing is so appealing to stay out home moms. recently, a person on the local facebook group asked if someone could recommend a protein drink (maybe it was a set up for a friend, i dont know). next thing you know, women are posting up telling them to talk to xxxx person. that person is pushing one of the MLM drinks out there like shakeology or whatever. i recommend something that i know is better than all that other stuff because its something ive been using and researching for decades. i bet nobody listened to me even though my product is better and probably half as expensive as the crap they were pushing.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,438,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its a shame that this kind of thing is so appealing to stay out home moms. recently, a person on the local facebook group asked if someone could recommend a protein drink (maybe it was a set up for a friend, i dont know). next thing you know, women are posting up telling them to talk to xxxx person. that person is pushing one of the MLM drinks out there like shakeology or whatever. i recommend something that i know is better than all that other stuff because its something ive been using and researching for decades. i bet nobody listened to me even though my product is better and probably half as expensive as the crap they were pushing.
There is a lot of pressure on women to "support" each other in their "businesses". A lot of it boils down to peer pressure. Something I outgrew in junior high school. Which is probably why I've never gotten involved in MLM.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:13 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,423,611 times
Well, why don't these MLM companies just make products that people want to buy?

Old 09-25-2019, 06:14 PM

18,321 posts, read 15,849,885 times
"Sorry, I paid my dues on the altar of Amway years ago. I have a strict no-MLM policy, it's nothing personal."

Old 09-25-2019, 06:32 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,530,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Tell her you cant afford to buy her product
This is the truth.

The people running these sales pitches are trained to not take no for an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance