Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:21 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,950 times

Advertisements

Over 90% of people in MLM never make a penny. That's what makes them schemes.

I go and work for an employer and I get paid. Yes the boss gets paid more, but no one losses money.

Oh and the boss doesn't just get residual streams of money for doing nothing, they have to work.

Oh and legitimate companies don't over saturate a market with franchises, MLMs do not care about market saturation.

I do find it funny to see people go through one MLM after another after another, always chasing the next quick buck, buying into buzz words not unlike 40/40/40, but then a few months later they are pitching the next line.

I doubt there is s single MLM product besides Avon Skin So Soft bug spray that is a better value than something I can can buy at a traditional store that supports real jobs and doesn't come soliciting me in my leisure time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 12:49 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Over 90% of people in MLM never make a penny. That's what makes them schemes.
Source?

Old 09-16-2015, 09:08 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Source?
Penn & Teller

But here's another one:

Comparing MLM success rates with no-product pyramid schemes and gambling - MLM-TheTruth

Old 09-17-2015, 05:15 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Source?
The number is more like 99% earn less than $13 a week.
Source: Myth of MLM Income Opportunity: 99% Lose Money in MLM | Pink Truth

Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 AM

14 posts, read 12,136 times
Are you still friends with these people? I had a similar experience where I asked for business advice because he owned a lawn company, but then he ended up pitching me on a MLM Company. I am not longer friends with him or his wife

Old 09-17-2015, 11:18 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I would love examples of how others handle good friends who get involved with these type of sales organizations. I really love my friend but she is making me want to RUN from her when I see her!!!
Just wish her a lot of success.

"[blah blee blah]...And then there's this superfruit mango acai goji berry cruelty-free organic vegan fair trade anal cream that's only $59.95!"

"Well, you'll probably run across someone who can benefit from that. Sounds like you're really enthusiastic about this. None of it is up my alley, but best of success to you!"

Old 09-18-2015, 10:34 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
As a young housewife years ago parties were frequent and due to the fact costs were low would buy household items,tupperware, jewelry. Years later when returning to the workforce everyone had something to sell but now really pricey. Seemed like everyone had something on the side to make extra money. Decided the best way to go is just not get it started. Any invitation got the 'I dont do parties thank you'. Didnt care what they thought and soon the invites became less. I think people who do this are taking advantage of friends and rationships and many people get stuck buying things they dont want nor need.
I was going to say something just like that. I had a friend really into throwing those parties because if friends bought enough she got free stuff. At one of them it was obvious that the real goal was to get people to buy into the business themselves and start selling. The sales person got kind nasty when I said no. The final straw was the one where my friend targeted and cornered me because I was the only one in the room that she knew could really afford what was being sold. It was some serious over priced by hundreds of dollars crap. In what way is this a party? It's not. Parties are suppose to be fun.

I tell people I don't go to parties where I'm suppose to buy something.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:47 AM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
I used to work with a woman who always conveniently left her daughter's AVON catalogues in the break room. During lunch, if I were bored and nothing good was on TV I would flip through it. Never bought anything though.

She was pushier to the older women (I was 20, broke and in college at the time) who could afford the stuff. She made quite a few sales for her daughter- especially during Christmas.

One of my Facebook friends (who currently lives in TX) sells Stella & Dot items (mostly jewelry). I ALWAYS see her events and luckily, it's an easy 'No' since I live in New York lol
We have a 'no selling' policy at work. Thank god.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:07 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times
I say NO. I get invited to these types of things all the time. I have never been to a single one. The funny thing is people I work with or friends will invite me to makeup parties or handbag parties and I'm like " when was the last time you saw me wear makeup or carry a handbag?".

I know way too many people trying to push Pampered Chef, Tupperware, Avon, Scentsy, Body Wraps, Amway, Melaluca, Essential oils and Body by Vi. NO THANK YOU!

Just keep saying no. Eventually they will go away.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:36 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,560 times
We were in a multilevel co. for a while. We were taught to associate and be friends with only those who were also in the "business". We were told to drop our other friends (wasting time). I'm so glad we didn't do that. This was many many years ago and though we put countless hours into it, never made a dime. Even the ones at the "top" sometimes would lose all their business because of the constant outflow of people at the bottom. I sure recognized the 40/40/40 someone quoted. Brainwashing.

Recently we had good friends we were in several groups with. We were really close, got together for dinners, studies, etc. They got into one of these things and tried to get us involved. We declined because the product was as much monthly as our food budget! One by one they went to all our friends, those who used to hang out together, and tried to get them involved. One by one the friends turned them down and they dropped each and every one of them. Couple years later, the husband dies and months later she is talking and complaining to all of us that no one is supportive, no one comes around any more. Sure they didn't. They had dropped us all!

I would never get involved in a multi-level business again. In the past, to be polite, I would go to parties and find something to buy. These days, I'm way more budget conscious and would simply say thank you, no, I don't have the budget for these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance