Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times

Advertisements

Your brother is giving you one hell of a deal. IMO I would not count out getting a house. I've been watching the market in that area and prices are dropping by tens of thousands. I'm looking at this house that dropped 10% from 650 to 590. And still active. The market is cooling off. I would start looking in fall winter and throw some offers if you want to buy in FV.

But I have to give you props. You're being smart about purchasing. I'm actually thinking of maybe buying this winter but it depends on what prices do. I think you can just swing it IMO. We have a rental in FV. I'm charging a pretty decent amount. If you were renting at full pop I would personally STRONGLY suggest you buy.

Are you trying to get your kids in Masuda elementary? Or FV High? Why do you have to pay $800 a month for three years? Can't you just transfer the kids to a public school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:59 PM

53 posts, read 68,096 times
She under 3 and going to a church based preschool. Yes, I am looking at Masuda elementary when she is older.

Yes, I noticed a 5% drop recently. I need it to drop another 15% but realistically it may drop another 5% and then levels out.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,082,057 times
Depends on the house. I'd picture a $600K 1400 sq ft single family home in OC as more of a 'fixer upper' that requires constant outlays for maintenance, repairs and renovations - is that something you can take on with a child?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Depends on the house. I'd picture a $600K 1400 sq ft single family home in OC as more of a 'fixer upper' that requires constant outlays for maintenance, repairs and renovations - is that something you can take on with a child?
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Fountain-Va...8/home/3864243

Actually you can get a decent house....something like this

Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
I'd say its a stretch as well.

I'm a father of 3 and we keep our house payment (mortgage, tax, insurance) to the equivalent of 1 week take home. We could easily afford a much larger, more expensive house. Recent unplanned expenses related to children plus my wife staying at home really convinced me that the decision not to purchase larger home was a good one.

A coworker of mine (married two incomes no kids) have a HH income closer to 200k and have recently fulfilled a dream of living in NYC in a property costing about the $500k. I'm happy for him but he has brought up several times that they stress about living expenses now. They are cornered into a dual income situation plus high COL. IMO, what's the point of living there if you are going to stress over maintaining it.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:06 PM

27 posts, read 31,686 times
I think for me it would depend on

1. Your skill set. Are your skills in high enough demand that you could easily get another job with similar salary?

2. The regional demand of your skill set in OC.

3. Do you have a 6 month emergency fund (or could you build one up in the next few years before you buy)?

4. Are your contributing at least 15% to retirement?

5. Can you afford PITI (principal, interest, taxes, home owners insurance) +~$500 a month to save for small and big ticket home maintenance?

If you can do all of these things, I would do it. I say that because we have a similar salary and did it. You will also get a GINORMOUS tax rebate once you start itemizing. It basically pays for your property taxes and then some. We didn't change our deductions for the first year and got a huge tax refund.

I think buying and building equity (I don't see OC's demand decreasing in 20, 30 years time) as a way to make long-term plans for you and your daughter. I would stay put, save, and figure out what you want and what your limits are for home improvement/maintenance.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kir_royale View Post
I think for me it would depend on

1. Your skill set. Are your skills in high enough demand that you could easily get another job with similar salary?

3. Do you have a 6 month emergency fund (or could you build one up in the next few years before you buy)?

5. Can you afford PITI (principal, interest, taxes, home owners insurance) +~$500 a month to save for small and big ticket home maintenance?

If you can do all of these things, I would do it. I say that because we have a similar salary and did it. You will also get a GINORMOUS tax rebate once you start itemizing. It basically pays for your property taxes and then some. We didn't change our deductions for the first year and got a huge tax refund.

I think buying and building equity (I don't see OC's demand decreasing in 20, 30 years time) as a way to make long-term plans for you and your daughter. I would stay put, save, and figure out what you want and what your limits are for home improvement/maintenance.
Yes, I am getting an offer from my previous company to go back. I am an experienced Engineer in a very specialized field with 4 competitors located in LA or OC. I believe the other two companies in the same area would most likely hire me if I approach them.

Yes see #1

No. I have about only $20K left after down payment and fees. This is before buying furniture and appliances. If I stay put for another two years then the answer should be yes.

No but I probably can answer yes here. In addition to 4.5% 401k matching, I also have a company pension that contributes about 3% of my salary.
I maxed out at 15% in the last 5 years. However, I have recently reduced it to 10% to save cash. I have a balance over $200k, I am 38.

This is a tough question. This roughly equals $3400. My monthly take home is $6000. I have an $800 preschool tuition so that leaves me $1800 for everything else. Probably not.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:57 PM

27 posts, read 31,686 times
Your take home will increase when you change your W2 deductions. We have 2 kids and went from 4 deductions to something crazy like 14. And we still get a $5k refund from the state (to change one's state deduction, you need a PhD in tax law methinks). I don't remember exactly how much of a difference it made in take home, but it is significantly more and would most likely cover the $500 for maintenance and stuff. But I think people (including us) underestimate how much maintenance and upgrading costs. Maybe get an accountant a visit to run the numbers for you.

I would wait until your daughter is in K and you don't have the private preschool tuition and you could have 20% down payment and 6 month emergency fund. Otherwise, with your skill set and pay, the home mortgage interest deduction is a huge incentive that you're missing out on to build equity and thus wealth for you and your daughter. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2014, 06:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Wait a bit jamesOCguy. Prices seem to be dropping because I really feel that sellers overshot the pricing. People still think its 2013 selling season. I have a feeling that prices are gonna keep coming down this fall/winter.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:22 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,317,516 times
and another thought...

If it is still relevant in your market, with your housing situation being fairly laid back you have the flexibility to give the bank owned/short-sale houses a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance