Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 04:05 AM

308 posts, read 506,723 times

Advertisements

I get paid ever 2 weeks. I use to take out a few hundred bucks from each paycheck and save it in my own personal safe at my apartment. But now I have it set up in my account so whenever I get paid, it automatically puts the money in my savings account in the bank. So I never really see it in cash anymore. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing one or the other?

The reason I use to take it out and keep it with me in cash is because I like to see it grow and know that I can physically hold it. Something about putting it in some savings account made me nervous for some reason. But I'm coming around I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 05:56 AM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Most of our 'savings' are stock, bonds and mutual funds.
Some are savings accounts in two banks and a credit union.
We keep no sizable cash at home.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:12 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Depends upon how much money you have. If you're talking a few extra hundred bucks, keeping it in the bank is fine, but if you mean bigger money to save for the future, you should get it invested where it will earn interest. Banks haven't paid anything for years.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:20 AM

189 posts, read 345,626 times
I keep what i need to cover bills in the checking account. then in my savings i kept 3 months emergency fund for easy access. the rest is put into my 401k, roth ira and some times my reg ira (rolled over from another 401k) depending on if my roth gets maxed for the year.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:27 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,107 times
What makes you nervous about putting your money in a savings account? If you are putting your money in a U.S. bank, it is insured up to a total of $250,000 (per bank). Interest rates are pitiful right now, but at least you get something. If you keep your money in cash in your apartment and someone walks off with your safe, the money is gone. If a U.S. bank fails, you get your money back. I'd be more concerned about keeping easily portable cash in my home.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:12 AM

406 posts, read 619,988 times
I can understand the desire to keep some physical cash, but anything more than maybe a week or two's worth of spending is an unacceptable risk in my opinion.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:34 AM

983 posts, read 2,543,815 times
OP, I know this feeling.. having the money in the bank and not seeing it sometimes makes me feel that I don't have it.
I like to keep some cash on hand in case of emergency (ATMs stop working or dooms day comes ).
I keep 3 months of my monthly expenses in my savings account and the rest (if any) goes to IRA, Roth IRA and 401K.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:55 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,379,537 times
Putting money into a savings account is a MILLION TIMES safer than keeping cash on hand in your home. Any number of things could happen to that cash - fire, flood, theft. Why in the world would a savings account scare you? Do you think Wells Fargo will just decide to keep it, lol?

At a minimum if you're hell bent on keeping cash for heaven's sake put it in a safety deposit box at a bank and only a few hundred bucks in cash on hand at home at any given time.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:10 AM

308 posts, read 506,723 times
Thanks for all the great replies so far everyone.

So it seems like keeping most of the savings in a bank account is what most people do. Maybe have a very small amount of cash on hand.

I understand what you guys are saying in regards to how a fire, flood, burglar, or whatever can make the physical cash I have on hand disappear with no way of getting it back. That does make sense. I guess, and I think someone else said this too, being able to hold the money in my hand makes me feel like I really do have it, rather than just seeing the balance in the online banking portal.

But yes you guys do make a good point about the FDIC guarantee as well. I guess the answer to this question comes down to personal preference based on how much risk you're willing to take on. As with anything in finance.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:19 AM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post

But yes you guys do make a good point about the FDIC guarantee as well. I guess the answer to this question comes down to personal preference based on how much risk you're willing to take on.
There is no risk with FDIC (up to $250,000, that is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance